Topics

Is anyone using a password manager?

John J. Boyer

If so, which one is it and how accessible is it?

Thankks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@abilitiessoft.org

Jacob Kruger

I use KeePass 2, and, it works just fine with NVDA.

https://keepass.info/download.html

Jacob Kruger
Skype: BlindZA

On 2021-01-16 11:35 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
If so, which one is it and how accessible is it?

Thankks,
John

Russell James

Hi Jacob,

Can you share that with your Android devices?

Thank you

Russ

On 2021-01-16 11:35 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
If so, which one is it and how accessible is it?

Thankks,
John

Nimer Jaber

Hello,

I have tried many of these things out, including Lastpass, 1Password, Dashlane, Roboform, Bitwarden, and Keypass, as well as other Keypass derivatives. Dashlane is not accessible, roboform is painful, Keypass requires using another cloud service to sync your database which is more work and, in my view, not as safe as you are now trusting your own back-up and another cloud provider other than your Password manager with all your passwords, although some may feel differently about that. Another issue with Keypass is the mobile apps are 3rd-party apps. Lastpass used to be more accessible, and it is usable at present, but it has gotten more painful. They have also had a number of security breaches over the years, so I've stopped using them. Bitwarden is usable, but its desktop apps aren't accessible, and its Android app for auto-fill is fine, but 1Password is better. I have interacted with the 1password devs on a number of occasions through their forum, and through Twitter. They do care about accessibility, their desktop apps are accessible and offer keyboard shortcuts, they work on all platforms with equal accessibility, and they are quite secure. They are also very highly rated, and give the option to use your own cloud provider if you wish, or to use them to help sync your data. Their extension, 1Password X, is usable, but it has a way to go, and could do with more keyboard shortcuts. The one benefit of using that particular extension is the integration with privacy.com for creating virtual cards, which is a service I also use.

By the way, if you would like a demo on 1Password and Bitwarden on Windows, Android, or iOS, check out the BlindTechGuys podcast as about a month ago, we had a number of podcasts where these two password managers were demoed and discussed. www.blindtechguys.com.

To tie all of this to NVDA, 1Password is the easiest to use with NVDA with the desktop app, but Lastpass and Bitwarden are doable, as is Keypass. Unfortunately, Dashlane is not usable.

Thanks.

On 2021-01-16 11:35 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
If so, which one is it and how accessible is it?

Thankks,
John

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

attachments for security threats.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

Thank you, and have a great day!

Stephen

I agree. there's even a special mode for screen reader users in the configuration options.

On 2021-01-16 11:35 AM, John J. Boyer wrote:
If so, which one is it and how accessible is it?

Thankks,
John

I've been using Password Safe, and its Android port, for many years now.  I have my vault synced/stored on my Google Drive, though it can work with any one of a number of cloud based services.  I do this because I want access to my vault on the fly and want updates done on Android to show up on Windows and vice versa.  Both the Windows program, and Android app, both keep local copies that they sync with the cloud, in case you were to be in a situation where you had no internet service and needed access.

It's been a while, but I believe I have had a couple of blind clients using this, and given the "old style Windows" interface under Windows I'd be shocked if it were not accessible.  I've never played with the Android port, or iOS port, with TalkBack or VoiceOver, respectively, so cannot speak at all to their accessibility.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Sascha Cowley

I use Bitwarden. The Firefox addon (and thus presumably the Chrome/Edge addon) is very usable with NVDA, though there are a few things that aren't especially intuitive. The Android app is mostly accessible, but most of the inaccessible parts can be worked out either through context or just trying and seeing what happens. The iOS app doesn't play especially nicely with VoiceOver, but is usable.

Stephen

For simplicity, and for both an offline and cloud solution, it seems like 1password may be the better of the bunch, while kee pass may suit some people who like to tinker and customise their environment.
Cheers.

I use Bitwarden. The Firefox addon (and thus presumably the Chrome/Edge addon) is very usable with NVDA, though there are a few things that aren't especially intuitive. The Android app is mostly accessible, but most of the inaccessible parts can be worked out either through context or just trying and seeing what happens. The iOS app doesn't play especially nicely with VoiceOver, but is usable.

andru fou

I use Keypass and it works fine.
You can open the site with your default browser or choose from your
list of browsers to use Firefox 52.9 for Wbvvisum.
https://keepass.info

On 1/17/21, Stephen <whocrazy@internode.on.net> wrote:
For simplicity, and for both an offline and cloud solution, it seems like
1password may be the better of the bunch, while kee pass may suit some
people
who like to tinker and customise their environment.
Cheers.

I use Bitwarden. The Firefox addon (and thus presumably the Chrome/Edge
addon)
is very usable with NVDA, though there are a few things that
aren't especially intuitive. The Android app is mostly accessible, but most
of the inaccessible parts can be worked out either through context or just
trying and seeing what happens. The iOS app doesn't
play especially nicely with VoiceOver, but is usable.

Hope Williamson <webspinner@...>

I use LastPass, and have since 2017. For me it works fine. I can edit, update and add accounts as I need, and if I'm logged into Lastpass, it will auto-fill login information for whatever site I'm trying to log into at the moment.

On 1/16/2021 1:39 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

I use LastPass. It is very accessible.