Topics

locked is firefox quantum now works well with nvda without any crash or major issue?

hello every one.
as you know,
i use windows xp and firefox 52 with nvda versions 2017.2 and 2017.3.
my only browser is firefox and i really cant tolerate other browsers.
i had issue of firefox crashes in firefox old versions with nvda.
but did not observe firefox crashes at least in firefox 45!
once, i could access windows seven and i tested firefox 61
the crashes returned frequently.
so, i observed firefox crashes in 30 minute of using firefox!
even in simple web pages like nvda user guide,
and my gmail interface which is in basic html view,
i had frequent crashes and firefox 61 was completely unusable for me!
when testing with windows seven, i only used and tested firefox 61
with nvda 2017.2.
and i did not have nvda 2017.3 on that time.
i know one person who has a laptop from 2009 and for this reason, He
migrated to chrome!
i really wish some experts,
and who use only firefox and compare versions,
especially users of old laptops,
help me that
1. is frequent crashing of firefox quantum with nvda is resolved or not?
2.
if the issue is resolved,
and mozilla released a stable version of firefox without crashes like
firefox 56 and before,
please give me exact version number.
for example: tell me that firefox since version xxx became completely
stable as it was before firefox quantum.
i searched in the internet and found only this link.
https://www.accessibilityoz.com/2018/11/accessibility-issues-with-firefox-quantum-and-screen-readers/
can someone please help?
can i use one day firefox quantum with nvda 2017.3 without any issues?
or, i should use firefox 52 forever?
thanks so much every one and God bless you all!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

in the link which i posted in my description,
the author said that:
"Both NV Access and Freedom Scientific declare that NVDA (starting
from version 2018.2) and JAWS (starting from version 2018)
respectively are compatible with Firefox Quantum. Compatibility may be
understood broadly. Yes, Firefox is again usable with screen readers,
but it is still not as smooth as it was before Firefox 57.
in the last week, i found informations in mozilla website that jaws
should be version 2018 for compatability with firefox quantum.
but did not declare specific version for nvda, and i believe that any
version of nvda, (at least since 2016.4), should support firefox
quantum!

On 7/5/20, zahra ayat <nasrinkhaksar3@...> wrote:
[...]

Chris

But that’s no good if you are using XP which doesn’t support quantum  at all in any way shape or form

--

By God,

were I given all the seven heavens

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

from the husk of a grain of barley,

I would not do it.

imam ali

Gene

First, you can't use Firefox 51 forever. Old browsers gradually work with fewer and fewer sites. Try the latest version of Firefox and see if it crashes or not on your Windows 7 system. You can try the portable version since that alters nothing on your system. You can continue to use your beloved years out of date dangerous version if you wish and evaluate the current portable version. Many people are using Firefox, the latest one, and I've seen no pattern of complaints. While I don't use firefox much, I haven't had problems with more recent versions.

[...]

I should say I haven't had problems with NVDA.

[...]

JM Casey

Firefox is up to version 78 now. Crashes more often with JAWS 018 on my new(er) desktop than with nVDA (newest stable release) on my old(er) lenovo laptop. Never founda browser that is completely stable 100% of the time. Firefox is pretty good at recovering from most crashes, though. Not sure how much the screen-reader influences the browser crashing but, I am not sure Freedom Scientific cares that much about Firefox support. Anyway, you'll need to stop using XP to use Quantum I think...

[...]

when i use dynamic heavy web pages with javascript,
when my system has overheating issue,
i face unresponsiveness of firefox,
but i did not face firefox and mozilla crash report,
at least since firefox 45.
i really wish to know, if firefox quantum crashing with nvda is
resolved, since which version of firefox exactly it works without any
crashes.

On 7/5/20, JM Casey <jmcasey@...> wrote:
[...]

fortunately,
most websites that i use, they are not firefox version dependent.
and i could use them even with firefox 3.5!
but i had a problem in using legacy text or web pages in persian that
firefox did not recognize encoding.
and one of my friends told me that she can opens such files with
firefox quantum properly.
i believe that this feature is the most important changes in firefox
quantum that i really need!
also, unfortunately, now, i only have windows xp,
and i forced to uninstall seven
because of more and more overheating my laptop,
and slowness when navigating using nvda even in computer and documents!

On 7/5/20, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Try it and see. Just because people generally report that a program doesn't crash doesn't mean you will have the same performance, because there are differences between systems, perhaps corruption, perhaps just differences. Programs may work differently even on two different computers running the same operating system and that have the same hardware. If your computer is slow and overheats, those may be indications of problems with the system that may influence the problems you are having.

And you are limiting yourself by refusing to use other browsers, such as Chrome. We don't know why you won't use other browsers.

[...]

Then you need a newer more powerful computer so you can run Windows 7 or 10 or whatever you want to run. You can't run any version of Firefox later than 51.x with XP.

[...]

Sean

No version of Firefox is compatible with NVDA than Chrome.
It is also valid for Quantum.

I really wanted to use Firefox.
But just like your problems, crashes occurred.

On 05/07/2020 18:58, zahra wrote:
[...]

👨‍🦯 I’m student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Sarah k Alawami

I actually hate firefox. I use the latest what ever that is on windows 10 and it slows my system to a crawl. I'll use it for testing stuff, but I prefer brave. By the way I'm running windows 10 2004 and nvda 20.x and I will not touch FF unless i have to.

On 5 Jul 2020, at 16:35, Sean wrote:

[...]

When is the last time you tested Firefox? I don't use it much but earlier, I had more crashes and on the few times I've used updated Firefox, I haven't had crashes. Also, you can't assume that crashes occur on all machines.

[...]

mailto:seantolstoyevski@...
GitHub: SeanTolstoyevski

👨‍🦯 I’m student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

I agree, and if you can't afford one of the latest, try x business or x lease.

I am doing work for my uncle who has a 6th generation x lease system and while it has a few small niggles like it likes to startup by itself at 6 in the morning its ok.

Its probably a bios thing that it was made to startup at 6am for some reason.

-----Original Message----- From: zahra

[...]

Screen readers and Browsers are programs that do not require much CPU.
Firefox is known as CPU and RAM friendly.

It's not like the people here think.
No matter how new and powerful your computer's hardware parts are, Firefox has a significant delay with NVDA when it runs multiple tabs.
Sometimes if you have switched to Firefox from the desktop (alt + tab) it cannot focus on Firefox in any way.

There are many web developers around me. They do amazing things with Firefox and there is no crash.
I think there is a problem with NVDA, Windows or APIs that prevent them from working together.

There are nice works for accessibility in the source of Firefox. Maybe more than Chromium. But in reality it is not like that at all.
Firefox causes delays when working with a screen reader. Then it freezes.

I generally use Intel processors. I always try Firefox when I update or change my computer.
Because I am in love with free software and open source.
However, the same problems have been going on in Firefox since 2014.

Windows 7, 8 or 10.
I have never used as well as Chrome.

On 06/07/2020 02:35, Sean via groups.io wrote:

[...]

I use chrome myself, and still use waterfox classic.

There are a few niggles with this but the classic interface is good and the classic way of doing things is more accessible.

-----Original Message----- From: Sean
Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2020 6:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

I used Firefox enough to generalize this problem. I don't think anyone's system is bad.

Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2020 6:35 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

[...]

Arlene

Preach it! I didn’t like it either when I had windows 7. I don’t have it on this system. I don’t intend to install it here. All the browsers like Chrome are like it. So, why would I want firefox here? I got Microsoft edge and Chrome here they are a like.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Because there are times when you can do something with Firefox you can't do with Chrome and the other browsers being discussed, Eddge, Chrome, are Chrome-based browsers. I think it is a very good idea to have a browser that isn't chrome based, even if someone uses Chrome or a Chrome based browser as their main one.

there is a blogging site where I can't submit comments using Chrome. I can submit them using Firefox.

Absolutist positions such as I won't use this or that are limiting and may mean you won't be able to do something for no good reason.

[...]

Email: seantolstoyevski@...
GitHub: SeanTolstoyevski

👨‍🦯 I’m student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Arlene

Well, I find Chrome more responsive then firefox.  It could have been that the last computer I had was 7 and it was badly slowing down. I just happen to like Chrome better. I know it’s like firefox. So, I don’t really need it.