Topics

Is it possible to get rid of Cortana?

Hi all,
When I I am typing in an edit field, let's say on social media, NVDA
loses focus and moves to Cortana.
I never use that Windows application and wonder if it is possible to
get rid of it and if it is would it help the issue of losing focus?

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Rosemarie Chavarria

I don't think you can get rid of it but it can be disabled.

On 11/22/2020 8:37 AM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi all,
When I I am typing in an edit field, let's say on social media, NVDA
loses focus and moves to Cortana.
I never use that Windows application and wonder if it is possible to
get rid of it and if it is would it help the issue of losing focus?

Nevzat,

            That's not typical behavior I've encountered before.  You used to be able to fully disable Cortana, and I had for a very long time.  As of Version 20H2 of Windows 10 she has reappeared on the taskbar, but remained silent for me.  I just got rid of the button using the context menu for the Taskbar.

             Bring up the context menu for the Taskbar and make sure that the "Show Cortana" option is unchecked.  If it's not present to try to draw focus, and you don't use Cortana, that might very well do the trick.

        ~ Thomas Reed Powell

Brian,
I did what you suggested and she is no longer around. Thanks.

Nevzat,

That's not typical behavior I've encountered before.  You used to be able to
fully disable Cortana, and I had for a very long time.  As of Version 20H2
of Windows 10 she has reappeared on the taskbar, but remained silent for
me.  I just got rid of the button using the context menu for the Taskbar.

Bring up the context menu for the Taskbar and make sure that the "Show
Cortana" option is unchecked.  If it's not present to try to draw focus, and
you don't use Cortana, that might very well do the trick.

*If you think that you can think about a thing, inextricably attached to
something else, without thinking of the thing it is attached to, then you
have a legal mind.*

~ Thomas Reed Powell