Topics

Is NVDA good with Libre Office or Open Office?

Milton Charlton

Is NVDA good with Libre Office or Open Office?

I searched the forum for this and found some problems with NVDA and Libre Office or Open Office.
Is anyone happy using current versions of these programs with NVDA?
My friend has used Office 2010 for years but is changing computers and wants to update to Office 2019.  He must update two computers so expense is an issue.
Thanks for your advice.
Milton

Josh Kennedy

libreoffice but with libre office you can't read charts and graphs and do some of the things you can do with Microsoft office.  it is OK, but NVDA is best with Microsoft office. You can subscribe to Microsoft office for $70 a year. Office 365.

Another option is SoftMaker FreeOffice with the caveats that you must install it with its setup for a menu driven interface (rather than ribbons, which in its case are entirely inaccessible for some reason) and you may need sighted help during install to do that, though I believe someone may have given instructions on getting around the one dialog where you select this that was not accessible "on the surface."  I'd have to search the archive.

I can't speak to anything about charts and graphs, though, as I never test for that sort of advanced feature when I'm doing "quick and dirty" accessibility testing.

       ~ Brian Vogel

The Gamages

Naybe not of the highest importance, but the font colour dialogue became inaccessible as newer versions were intorduced, for a while object navigation could be used, but even that failed in the end.
Perhaps an older version of Libre office would be more suitable  until this can be resolved, if it is important to useres.

Best Regards, Jim.

Sent: Monday, January 25, 2021 4:05 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is NVDA good with Libre Office or Open Office?

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042

       ~ Brian Vogel

Louis Maher

Another option would be to use Microsoft 365 for $99 a year for five licenses.

Regards

Louis Maher

Phone: 713-444-7838

E-mail ljmaher03@...