Topics

Is NVDA Really Dying?

David Russell

Hello Group,

I certainly hope the answer is a resounding no!
I did install NVDA 2018.1 on my windows 7 computer a few days ago and
it remains a loyal software program for my purposes, and was happy to
finally donate a small gift of appreciation!

I know the group, Webaim has been supportive over the years, and when
receiving services from my state blind commission in 2016, suggested
they look into providing computers with NVDA for those they serve
using such. Up to then, they were providing Jaws for their clients
using computers. Even at a fraction of the cost, organizations would
be well-advised to consider NVDA instead of Jaws from a financial POV.
Everyone would win!
Whether or not this suggestion has been acted on is unknown to me. Thank you!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Tyler Spivey

I just have to ask, why 2018.1?
That's rather old.

On 2/6/2019 9:34 AM, David Russell wrote:
Hello Group,
I certainly hope the answer is a resounding no!
I did install NVDA 2018.1 on my windows 7 computer a few days ago and
it remains a loyal software program for my purposes, and was happy to
finally donate a small gift of appreciation!
I know the group, Webaim has been supportive over the years, and when
receiving services from my state blind commission in 2016, suggested
they look into providing computers with NVDA for those they serve
using such. Up to then, they were providing Jaws for their clients
using computers. Even at a fraction of the cost, organizations would
be well-advised to consider NVDA instead of Jaws from a financial POV.
Everyone would win!
Whether or not this suggestion has been acted on is unknown to me. Thank you!

Don H

You know that everything has a life span. I hope NVDA still has a lot of years ahead of itself but maybe just maybe Narrator will become a great screen reader and there will be no need for NVDA or Jaws or any other screen reader.
Right now NVDA is my screen reader of choice with Jaws being my backup that I very seldom use.

molly the blind tech lover

I think the rumor about NVDA dying is probably fake news.
Don't worry ...

[...]

Narrator's not bad. I kind of like it. Sometimes.

You know that everything has a life span. I hope NVDA still has a lot of years ahead of itself but maybe just maybe Narrator will become a great screen reader and there will be no need for NVDA or Jaws or any other screen reader.
Right now NVDA is my screen reader of choice with Jaws being my backup that I very seldom use.

Brian's Mail list account

You know there was an update to the latest version to fix a bug??
I find this idea annoying also but there persists in the system admin world a fewer of using open source software. I see no issues as there are hacking tools that can get into commercial software as often it to is compiled with the same tools and so easy to figure out the hacks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

[...]

Yes but he had issues, though I'm not entirely sure why.

[...]

Narrator has no scripting as yet, so is rather stuck with what it works with.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

You know that everything has a life span. I hope NVDA still has a lot of years ahead of itself but maybe just maybe Narrator will become a great screen reader and there will be no need for NVDA or Jaws or any other screen reader.
Right now NVDA is my screen reader of choice with Jaws being my backup that I very seldom use.

Brian's Mail list account

Its not news at all, the start of this thread was some clueless people talking balls on another forum completely.
[...]

Hi,
Responding to Tyler and Molly who commented in digest.

- Tyler, I am using NVDA 2018.1 because it was recommended to me by
someone associated with knowbility.org. I had FF-52 on my machine and
am now at FF 60 something. Before, I was using an NVDA 2016 version.

- Molly, I had to chuckle at your assessment of the screen reader,
Narrator. You like it, some times.. Hmmm, should I ask you to review
my book? Big smile!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

Hi,
Ah, using Firefox 60 plus? If yes, I highly recommend updating to 2018.4.1, as it supports newer Firefox releases better.
Cheers,
Joseph

Responding to Tyler and Molly who commented in digest.

- Tyler, I am using NVDA 2018.1 because it was recommended to me by someone associated with knowbility.org. I had FF-52 on my machine and am now at FF 60 something. Before, I was using an NVDA 2016 version.

- Molly, I had to chuckle at your assessment of the screen reader, Narrator. You like it, some times.. Hmmm, should I ask you to review my book? Big smile!

--
David Russell
david.sonofhashem@...

molly the blind tech lover

Well I must confess there are some major improvements coming to Narrator this year. I saw great improvement when I was formerly using the Windows insider program. Still, NVDA is my favorite. I have to admit, Narrator is fantastic when using my touchscreen.