Is Oracle Data Management screen-reader accessible?

Arlene

Here is the question a friend asked about a job she’s applying for. Here’s the e-mail with the correct spelling.

Hello, all.

I’m seeking work with t tech as a customer service representative. They use oracle data management software. Is this accessible with either jaws or N V D a? Thanks so much and have a great day. This person called Freedom Scientific and they told her to call the Oracle company. I don’t think they have an idea what Jaws or any screen reader is. Would NVDA work with it?

Sent from

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Arlene,

I've updated the topic.  Don't bury the lede, as they say!

I don't know whether this specific piece of software is accessible with NVDA, JAWS, or Narrator.  Someone else almost certainly will.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Arlene

Thanks, I never heard of this piece of softwhere.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I've updated the topic.  Don't bury the lede, as they say!

I don't know whether this specific piece of software is accessible with NVDA, JAWS, or Narrator.  Someone else almost certainly will.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Well I wouldn't know,  but oracle stuff does use java.

So in theory if access bridge is active in windows and I think nvda does this anyway, it should work.

There are 2 types, java runtime which is 8. something then there is java 10 up.

The software may have java included with it so it may in fact work.

On the other side, assuming this friend is not doing any administrating of the thing and maybe doesn't have to interact with the software itself then it may be a web based application so it may just run like that.

Java apps are generally accessible as long as they don't use some odd library or something.

Java is used in almost everything so it would be a question of interface.

As for the software itself, not sure but even if its totally inaccessible there is probably a frontend that is.

Thats either via ms access, or the web, or some frontend access app that you can use etc.

Of course if she needs physical access to the software itself its always a bit harder.

But I have never used oracle database software and probably won't ever do so.

But chances are if its got shortcut keys then as long as the screens read and its got a menu or ribbon it can be used.

Even if that doesn't happen if the dialogs work then you could probably access it with keyboard shortcuts.

Even if thats still a no go if this job doesn't require direct interaction with either another database or a frontend, maybe it will accept other databases or file types so maybe excell.

Excell is still a dog I tried it it is however accessible to a point.

Its more the understanding on how to use it and I never ever got the hang of it though this could have been due to poor instruction rather than anything else.

On 25/05/2021 7:01 am, Arlene wrote:

Here is the question a friend asked about a job she’s applying for. Here’s the e-mail with the correct spelling.

Hello, all.

I’m seeking work with t tech as a customer service representative. They use oracle data management software. Is this accessible with either jaws or N V D a? Thanks so much and have a great day. This person called Freedom Scientific and they told her to call the Oracle company. I don’t think they have an idea what Jaws or any screen reader is. Would NVDA work with it?

Sent from

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Quentin Christensen

Ah, Oracle not Orcel - this is why it is important to check the spelling (and ideally provide a link to the company / software) when asking.  I had no idea what you were talking about before, I assumed it was some piece of software I'd simply never heard of.

That document only mentions Jaws, which at least is a good start.  If Jaws have done specific internal work to be compatible with Oracle, then it may or may not work with NVDA.  If it just works out of the box with Jaws, then it likely works out of the box with NVDA too.  I would like to contact them to have them update it... but as with so many large companies, it looks next to impossible to actually reach out to them.  I tweeted to them :)

Regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Dave Grossoehme

Hi:  Does your friend know the name of the Oracle Program?  She could try to check with Oracle if she has this information.  If not, it might be helpful to check with some of the blind programming list.

Dave

On 5/24/2021 3:57 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

[...]

She tried to phone that company. They sent her to Jaws, Jaws sent her to the company that uses Oracle and Oracle sent her back to Jaws. She then called the company that she tried to apply for and they tested my computer for the third time and it failed its test. The guy was a drip. She told him that computer failed that test 2 other times. He then tested it again and it failed. Even though my friend told him it went in one ear and out the other. I’ll forward her this message. Some companies I tell you! When it comes to blind users They don’t know or do not want to know what a talking screen reader is. If you get the drift! Lol.

[...]

Hmph.

That reminds me about my nightmare I had back in 2019.

The microsoft tech didn't want to listen to me and continued saying I needed to update my system even though it was only an optional update.

After it went fruity he insisted it wasn't microsoft's problem, then insisted I had a corrupted user profile, even though I had tried with another account.

His resolution was to reinstall which completely screwed my system.

You know how that ended up.

Obviously he couldn't just tell me, just reformat and its not microsoft's problem but thats basically what it was, he commented I didn't go totally nuts at him like the 8 other users he had call him about the same issue.

I felt I was treated like dirt really and this is from a company that has a supposedly good reccord.

I also had the same issue with another issue I had.

Accessible support techs should be a little better than standard but obviously not.

On 27/05/2021 10:42 am, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Oh good grief! That is ridiculous and insaine! That’s as bad as a bunch of 3 to 5 year olds wrecking your system.  Although kids at those ages wouldn’t do it not meaning to.  My friend’s sister-in-law works for that horrible company that uses that piece of junk Oracle!  Just 2 weeks ago those same people tested this system. My friend left the page open and there was a place where you can write your feed back. I did ask her permission to do it. When I did I told them about how unfair they were and the person who tested this computer was not understanding.  That was not all. I told them if you are an inclusion company and if you get people who are visually impaired and uses any screen readers such as NVDA or other. Then say so and tell them what softwhere you use and if it doesn’t work then say so. This can’t happen to other visually impaired people who want to apply to your company.  I told them the tec person would not listen to me when I said the computer failed before and tested and waisted our time again.  They never wrote back.