is the next paragraph read cancel?

特種兵

hi all:

  in NVDA Basic Training Material, I found about use control + down or up can move cursor to next or previous paragraph.
  but pressed is cannot work, it is still move to next or previous line only.
  I looking for User Guide or quick command reference has no that command.
  is the command cancel on new NVDA version when not install addon?

thanks

Yeti

Hello Unknown,

move to next or previous line only.

Maybee there are hard line feeds, so that each line looks like a paragraph.

Which file type and which viewer do You use?

Ad Astra

Yeti

特種兵

hi Yeti:

  I type two paragraph between has a blank line.
  the text in WordPad is:

Clack, clickety-clack!
Powerful locomotive,
roars through green forest.

Tall craggy mountains,
Brilliant white snow, crisp and new.
Skiing holiday!

Yeti 於 2021/12/23 下午 05:53 寫道:

Hello Unknown,

move to next or previous line only.
Maybee there are hard line feeds, so that each line looks like a paragraph.

Which file type and which viewer do You use?

Ad Astra

Yeti

David Griffith

What are you using to read the document in?

The behaviour of  control up and down arrow will vary depending on which program you are using.

So if I am trying to read text from a book in say Notepad  then control down or up arrow will not work for navigation or reading.

If however  I copy and paste the exact same text into say Word, Jarte or even WordPad then using control up and down arrow for reading by paragraph suddenly becomes available.

This reading method also works on web pages.

At least that is what happens here on my Windows 10 setup.

So if you need to read by paragraph you could simply copy and paste the relevant text from Notepad or whatever the program is that is not supporting  this navigation into Word  or WordPad to regain this behaviour.

David Griffith

Sent from Mail for Windows

  in NVDA Basic Training Material, I found about use control + down or

up can move cursor to next or previous paragraph.

  but pressed is cannot work, it is still move to next or previous line

only.

  I looking for User Guide or quick command reference has no that command.

  is the command cancel on new NVDA version when not install addon?

thanks

Gene

The command does work but if you are in a text editor like Notepad, it won’t.  You have to be in a document such as a web page or a word processor document where there is code in the document indicating a paragraph;.

   in NVDA Basic Training Material, I found about use control + down or
up can move cursor to next or previous paragraph.
   but pressed is cannot work, it is still move to next or previous line
only.
   I looking for User Guide or quick command reference has no that command.
   is the command cancel on new NVDA version when not install addon?

thanks

Gene

The move by paragraph function in NVDA stops at hard returns.  It also stops at word processor code indicating a paragraph.

If you type perhaps three or four long sentences without pressing enter, then press enter and type four or five more long sentences, see if the command works to move you from one paragraph to  the next.  Since the two hard returns you used to indicate the start of a new paragraph will be the only hard returns in the document, you should move by paragraph.

   I type two paragraph between has a blank line.
   the text in WordPad is:

Clack, clickety-clack!
Powerful locomotive,
roars through green forest.

Tall craggy mountains,
Brilliant white snow, crisp and new.
Skiing holiday!

Yeti 於 2021/12/23 下午 05:53 寫道:
> Hello Unknown,
>
>> move to next or previous line only.
>
> Maybee there are hard line feeds, so that each line looks like a paragraph.
>
> Which file type and which viewer do You use?
>
> Ad Astra
>
> Yeti

特種兵

hi

  I using WordPad has no effect.
  maybe I set a something to broken it?
  what is setting about it?

Gene 於 2021/12/23 下午 09:03 寫道:

The move by paragraph function in NVDA stops at hard returns.  It also stops at word processor code indicating a paragraph.

If you type perhaps three or four long sentences without pressing enter, then press enter and type four or five more long sentences, see if the command works to move you from one paragraph to  the next.  Since the two hard returns you used to indicate the start of a new paragraph will be the only hard returns in the document, you should move by paragraph.

   I type two paragraph between has a blank line.
   the text in WordPad is:

Clack, clickety-clack!
Powerful locomotive,
roars through green forest.

Tall craggy mountains,
Brilliant white snow, crisp and new.
Skiing holiday!

Yeti 於 2021/12/23 下午 05:53 寫道:
> Hello Unknown,
>
>> move to next or previous line only.
>
> Maybee there are hard line feeds, so that each line looks like a paragraph.
>
> Which file type and which viewer do You use?
>
> Ad Astra
>
> Yeti

Gene

You haven’t broken it.  The command stops at every hard return.  It also stops at a paragraph symbol in a word processor or on an Internet page.  Try using the command in an Internet article.  You will see that it moves by paragraph.

If you use a word processor like Microsoft Word and start a new paragraph, it will stop at the new paragraph.  I almost never use Wordpad but if you write a long line and press enter the command will move to the line after you pressed enter and continued to type.  I don’t know if that begins a new paragraph in Wordpad but the command stops at every hard return and it also stops at a paragraph symbol in a document.