Topics

locked Is there a Content Management System (CMS) that is easily accessible?

John J. Boyer

This is for the Web, of course.

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer
Email: john.boyer@...
Status: Company dissolved but website and email addresses live.
Mission: developing assistive technology software and providing STEM services
that are available at no cost

erik burggraaf

I really like pmwiki, and it's offshoot boltwire. Drupal and WordPress are fine, but developers are constantly breaking aspects of accessibility.

My current job is using jumla, but I have been coding directly on custome made plugins, and haven't spent much time with the GUI.

Best,

Erik

On June 7, 2019 5:59:05 PM "John J. Boyer" <john.boyer@...> wrote:

Thanks,
John
--
John J. Boyer

Sarah k Alawami

I would recommend word press. I don't use a CMS anymore so I have no idea how accessible or lack there of it is.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.
For stuff we sell, mac training materials and  tutorials go here.
and for hosting options go here
to subscribe to the feed click here

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 7 Jun 2019, at 14:58, John J. Boyer wrote:

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer

Sarah k Alawami

Can you do form fields and contact forms in wiki? I would be interested in learningn a new language.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website. This is also our libsyn page as well.

Our telegram channel is also a good place for an announce only in regard to podcasts, contests, etc.

On 7 Jun 2019, at 15:45, erik burggraaf wrote:

I really like pmwiki, and it's offshoot boltwire. Drupal and WordPress are fine, but developers are constantly breaking aspects of accessibility.

My current job is using jumla, but I have been coding directly on custome made plugins, and haven't spent much time with the GUI.

Best,

Erik

On June 7, 2019 5:59:05 PM "John J. Boyer" john.boyer@... wrote:

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer

erik burggraaf

Pmwiki is fairly minimalist. It will let you shape content to a great extent, but if you want interactive features, you have to install plug-ins. It's usually very easy to install plug-ins such as calendars, contact forms,and even shopping carts ranging from extremely simple to extraordinaire Lee complex.

The system is written in PHP, HTML, CSS, with the odd bit of JavaScript thrown in for good measure.  although no content management system actually fulfills its promise of allowing you to install and use without knowing any code, pmwiki is extremely easy to teach in terms of how it uses its own proprietary tag structure to format content.  It would be entirely reasonable to expect that many people could come in and collaborate on building content for a site using pmwiki once an administrator has set things up the way the group likes it.

The largest accessibility issue I've ever come across with pmwiki is that it's recaptcha plug-in is not accessible.  since this feature should never be implemented on any website under any circumstances, it would be no great loss if it wasn't for the fact that so many pmwiki designers feel the need to use it.  other minor issues such as images and objects not being tagged properly can easily be fixed in code.

Best,

Erik

On June 7, 2019 7:03:33 PM "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@...> wrote:

Can you do form fields and contact forms in wiki? I would be interested in learningn a new language.

Best,

Erik

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer

Sarah k Alawami

In terms of NVDA could we contact theeMWiki devs to make the plugins accessible etc? It soudns interesting.

On 11 Jun 2019, at 12:19, erik burggraaf wrote:

Pmwiki is fairly minimalist. It will let you shape content to a great extent, but if you want interactive features, you have to install plug-ins. It's usually very easy to install plug-ins such as calendars, contact forms,and even shopping carts ranging from extremely simple to extraordinaire Lee complex.

The system is written in PHP, HTML, CSS, with the odd bit of JavaScript thrown in for good measure.  although no content management system actually fulfills its promise of allowing you to install and use without knowing any code, pmwiki is extremely easy to teach in terms of how it uses its own proprietary tag structure to format content.  It would be entirely reasonable to expect that many people could come in and collaborate on building content for a site using pmwiki once an administrator has set things up the way the group likes it.

The largest accessibility issue I've ever come across with pmwiki is that it's recaptcha plug-in is not accessible.  since this feature should never be implemented on any website under any circumstances, it would be no great loss if it wasn't for the fact that so many pmwiki designers feel the need to use it.  other minor issues such as images and objects not being tagged properly can easily be fixed in code.

Best,

Erik

Best,

Erik

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer

Nimer Jaber

Nice try Sarah, but no dice. This topic is off topic and will be locked immediately.

thanks.

On Tue, Jun 11, 2019 at 12:33 PM Sarah k Alawami <marrie12@...> wrote:

In terms of NVDA could we contact theeMWiki devs to make the plugins accessible etc? It soudns interesting.

On 11 Jun 2019, at 12:19, erik burggraaf wrote:

Best,

Erik

Best,

Erik

Thanks,
John

--
John J. Boyer

--
Best,

Nimer Jaber

The message above is intended for the recipient to whom it was
addressed. If you believe that you are not the intended recipient,
please notify me via reply email and destroy all copies of this
correspondence. Action taken as a result of this email or its contents
by anyone other than the intended recipient(s) may result in civil or
criminal charges. I have checked this email and all corresponding
attachments for security threats. However, security of your machine is
up to you. Thanks.

Registered Linux User 529141.
http://counter.li.org/

To find out about a free and versatile screen reader for windows XP
and above, please click here:
http://www.nvda-project.org

You can follow @nimerjaber on Twitter for the latest technology news.

To contact me, you can reply to this email or you may call me at (970) (393-4481) and I will do my best to respond to you promptly. Thank
you, and have a great day!