Topics

Is There a Memory Leak when NVDA Works with FireFox?

Dzhovani

Hi all,

I've had this issue for some time, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning it so I decided to ask if I'm the only one having it.

If I keep firefox opened for sufficiently long time, NVDA hangs and gets unresponsive. Restarting NVDA does not help, while killing the firefox process from task manager immediately unlocks nvda. I don't use chrome based browsers enough to observe if it is the same there as well.

Versions of NVDA and FireFox are the latest.

Some usage patterns that might be related are that I'm usually keeping messenger opened in a private window. I think that the hanging got some more frequent since Facebook banned messaging from their mobile website. Since then the hanging happen around once in a day instead of once in a few days.

Regards,

Dzhovani

Luke Davis

A few things of note.

1. Yes, I've seen this, although not generally on the last five or so major versions of Firefox.

2. I keep a shortcut on my desktop which calls taskkill on firefox.exe, and has a keyboard shortcut (control+alt+k), for just such circumstances.

3. When this has happened on my laptops, I would start to notice the fan speeding up to maximum, and then never slowing back down. The machine would become nearly unusable. This would only happen on certain websites. Getresponse.com was one, but I believe I also observed it, at least to a partial extent, on Facebook, though I don't use Facebook web enough to be sure.

4. This problem, under various descriptions, has been reported here before, and may even have some Github issues about it, although I don't have time to research whether that's true right now.

5. While I don't know if this is related, I can say that I experienced this at its worst, on AMD processors. My Intel machine seemed a bit more resilient with it, or it never got as all-consuming as it was with the AMDs. But I have no idea if that is indicative, or just a usage pattern difference.

I know of no solution to this other than to assassinate the fox when it happens. I also don't know if it is strictly an NVDA thing, or if other screen readers experience it as well.

Luke

Well have wandered with waterfox on my amd to.

Version 2020.08 works but is the last version to work even at a reduced rate with the cpu fan and such, after that websites like hp.com don't render right and resilio sync doesn't render right either.

A lot of extra crashes go on to though waterfox has gotten more unstable in recent times, but I just like the layout so I stick with this older version.

On 6/03/2021 8:26 pm, Luke Davis wrote:
A few things of note.

1. Yes, I've seen this, although not generally on the last five or so major versions of Firefox.

2. I keep a shortcut on my desktop which calls taskkill on firefox.exe, and has a keyboard shortcut (control+alt+k), for just such circumstances.

3. When this has happened on my laptops, I would start to notice the fan speeding up to maximum, and then never slowing back down. The machine would become nearly unusable. This would only happen on certain websites. Getresponse.com was one, but I believe I also observed it, at least to a partial extent, on Facebook, though I don't use Facebook web enough to be sure.

4. This problem, under various descriptions, has been reported here before, and may even have some Github issues about it, although I don't have time to research whether that's true right now.

5. While I don't know if this is related, I can say that I experienced this at its worst, on AMD processors. My Intel machine seemed a bit more resilient with it, or it never got as all-consuming as it was with the AMDs. But I have no idea if that is indicative, or just a usage pattern difference.

I know of no solution to this other than to assassinate the fox when it happens. I also don't know if it is strictly an NVDA thing, or if other screen readers experience it as well.

Luke

Dzhovani

Hi,
Thanks for confirming. I have no issue with killing the fox, just it interrupts some sessions and it is breaking my flow.

Giles Turnbull

I experience this, usually a couple of times per day. For me, NVDA is too inactive to use Task Manager to see what process is seizing-up my laptop or tablet. I don't have a desktop shortcut to kill the Firefox process because I didn't know Firefox was to blame. Usually using the Alt+Shift+n shortcut to force NVDA to re-start will work and, as long as I use that brief moment of NVDA life to close a few programs that I figured might be responsible (Firefox and WinAmp and word) I can make sure that I have any unsaved documents saved before re-starting my computer.

I do use Chrome as well as Firefox, but since Firefox is still running with its tabs open when I also use Chrome, I don't know whether this happens if I'd only used Chrome that day. I much prefer the Firefox browser.

I'm using the latest Firefox (86.0) and the latest stable NVDA (2020.4) on both a Surface Pro 4 tablet and an Asus gaming laptop, both using Intel processors and 8Gb memory.

Giles
Giles

JM Casey

I haven’t experienced this yet so I don’t know what to say about that. But you can always use the taskkill command to close processes if task manager is too slow/unresponsive.

Taskkill /im firefox.exe /f

should terminate all firefox processes.

You can also use the tasklist command to get a list of all processes and their memory usage. You’ll need to run this in command prompt to get visible output.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Giles Turnbull
Sent: March 6, 2021 10:19 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: **** [SUSPECTED SPAM] ****Re: [nvda] Is There a Memory Leak when NVDA Works with FireFox?

I experience this, usually a couple of times per day. For me, NVDA is too inactive to use Task Manager to see what process is seizing-up my laptop or tablet. I don't have a desktop shortcut to kill the Firefox process because I didn't know Firefox was to blame. Usually using the Alt+Shift+n shortcut to force NVDA to re-start will work and, as long as I use that brief moment of NVDA life to close a few programs that I figured might be responsible (Firefox and WinAmp and word) I can make sure that I have any unsaved documents saved before re-starting my computer.

I do use Chrome as well as Firefox, but since Firefox is still running with its tabs open when I also use Chrome, I don't know whether this happens if I'd only used Chrome that day. I much prefer the Firefox browser.

I'm using the latest Firefox (86.0) and the latest stable NVDA (2020.4) on both a Surface Pro 4 tablet and an Asus gaming laptop, both using Intel processors and 8Gb memory.

Giles
Giles

Russell James

I can also confirm similar experience with using Firefox nightly on an Intel based system with plenty of CPU and memory

Seems a little worse lately like in the last few weeks happening almost once a day

Using many many windows in Firefox with many tabs in each

Also using no script the script blocker and usually only allowing scripts temporarily on the tabs I'm actively using

Lately it seems like more drastic measures are required like power cycling the system however in the past restarting nvda used to work

Russ

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021, 10:19 AM Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@...> wrote:

Giles
Giles

Hmmm this is a concern.

I thought it was all of waterfox but if its a mozilla code thing then thats a problem.

For now waterfox 20.08 is fine with noscript classic but security wize I can't really stay here.

Chrome is ok but some sites I use like my computer shop impliment everything under a mouse over link and on waterfox the actual links pop up, on chrome things become a bit weird to use.

But maybe chromium is the only way to go, a pitty because I always liked the mozilla system.

Its a pitty there isn't an classic brouser using the pre quantom engine.

It worked well enough and didn't use uia at all which I have issue with.

Even if I had something old for nonsecure stuff it would be ok I guess.

On 7/03/2021 5:39 am, Russell James wrote:

I can also confirm similar experience with using Firefox nightly on an Intel based system with plenty of CPU and memory

Seems a little worse lately like in the last few weeks happening almost once a day

Also using no script the script blocker and usually only allowing scripts temporarily on the tabs I'm actively using

Lately it seems like more drastic measures are required like power cycling the system however in the past restarting nvda used to work

Russ

Giles
Giles

Dzhovani

Giles, Russell,
If you put the device to sleep and re-awake it, it will give you around a minute to open the task manager and kill the process. It will save you the full reboot.
HTH,
Dzhovani

Russell James

Does anyone know if this has been reported or how to report it to mozilla?

Hopefully this can be fixed

I have more problems with chrome than I do with Firefox

Russ

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021, 12:52 PM Dzhovani <dzhovani.chemishanov@...> wrote:
Giles, Russell,
If you put the device to sleep and re-awake it, it will give you around a minute to open the task manager and kill the process. It will save you the full reboot.
HTH,
Dzhovani

Dzhovani

Russell,
The first question is if the bug is in NVDA or in Firefox. Firefox exposes an api that NVDA consumes, however, it is as possible that firefox sends bad data as it is that nvda mishandles what it receives.

Russell James

I don't know for sure but my guess is that it is Firefox not NVDA.

This problem has come and gone and is back again.
While there were several versions of Firefox Nightly updates
NVDA was stable and not updating for a long time until the recent release.
This problem was happening before and continues after the recent NVDA release.

It sounds like other users are not having the problem when using other browsers.

Russ

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021 at 1:49 PM Dzhovani <dzhovani.chemishanov@...> wrote:
Russell,
The first question is if the bug is in NVDA or in Firefox. Firefox exposes an api that NVDA consumes, however, it is as possible that firefox sends bad data as it is that nvda mishandles what it receives.

enes sarıbaş

I think it does. NVDA is noticeably less responsive in Firefox than Chrome.

On 3/6/2021 12:06 AM, Dzhovani wrote:
Hi all,

I've had this issue for some time, but I haven't seen anyone mentioning it so I decided to ask if I'm the only one having it.

If I keep firefox opened for sufficiently long time, NVDA hangs and gets unresponsive. Restarting NVDA does not help, while killing the firefox process from task manager immediately unlocks nvda. I don't use chrome based browsers enough to observe if it is the same there as well.

Some usage patterns that might be related are that I'm usually keeping messenger opened in a private window. I think that the hanging got some more frequent since Facebook banned messaging from their mobile website. Since then the hanging happen around once in a day instead of once in a few days.

Regards,

Dzhovani

Bob Cavanaugh

I definitely think this is a Firefox issue as well. When I use
radioinsight.com daily. I open everything in new windows, and usually
by the time I get to that site I only have one other tab in the main
window open. The limit seems to be about five windows before Firefox
becomes especially unusable, which is much less than IE. The number of
windows opened before Firefox slows down depends on the site for me,
but yes, this is incredibly annoying, particularly on RI on a heavy
news day which there haven't been a tone of lately.

On 3/6/21, enes sarıbaş <enes.saribas@gmail.com> wrote:
I think it does. NVDA is noticeably less responsive in Firefox than Chrome.

On 3/6/2021 12:06 AM, Dzhovani wrote:
Hi all,

I've had this issue for some time, but I haven't seen anyone
mentioning it so I decided to ask if I'm the only one having it.

If I keep firefox opened for sufficiently long time, NVDA hangs and
gets unresponsive. Restarting NVDA does not help, while killing the
firefox process from task manager immediately unlocks nvda. I don't
use chrome based browsers enough to observe if it is the same there as
well.

Some usage patterns that might be related are that I'm usually keeping
messenger opened in a private window. I think that the hanging got
some more frequent since Facebook banned messaging from their mobile
website. Since then the hanging happen around once in a day instead of
once in a few days.

Regards,

Dzhovani

The folks at Mozilla use a dedicated 

Bugzilla
page for their own product line.  They also tend to care both about accessibility and bugs.

Here is the actual Search Page for issues, and you choose the product, Firefox in this case, from the Product dropdown.

I can't find anything related to NVDA that appears to be related to the issue being discussed here, but there are 26 open bugs.  I have not written a bug/issue report in Bugzilla in ages, so I'd have to read the documentation about how to do so if I wanted to.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 20H2, Build 19042  

Any idiot can face a crisis. It's the day-to-day living that wears you out.

~ Anton Chekhov

Lukasz Golonka

This is already reported against Firefox here:
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1572915

The discussion onn this bug report is rather technical but the short
version is that this hang has been confirmed by multiple users with NVDA
but it is very hard to track down the cuase.

-- HTH
Lukasz

Ron Canazzi

Hi Group,

I am running three desktops networked in a Windows Ten environment. I have not seen any of this sluggishness with Firefox. I am wondering if all those experiencing these issues are running laptops.  I know a few people have indicated that they are running laptops. Is anyone running only desktops and still having this problem?

On 3/6/2021 11:39 AM, Russell James wrote:

Russ

Giles
Giles

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Mary Otten

Hi Ron,

I have not participated in this thread, but yes, I do experience this issue with FireFox latest ESR and on a desktop machine with an intel processor.

Mary

On 3/6/2021 4:27 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I am running three desktops networked in a Windows Ten environment. I have not seen any of this sluggishness with Firefox. I am wondering if all those experiencing these issues are running laptops.  I know a few people have indicated that they are running laptops. Is anyone running only desktops and still having this problem?

Russ

Giles
Giles

-- 

Bob Cavanaugh

How do you tend to use Firefox? I'm using Gmail's web interface in
Firefox right now and am having no problems, but that's because it's
the only thing open. When I load it up with a bunch more stuff, that's
when it becomes a problem.

On 3/6/21, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Hi Group,

I am running three desktops networked in a Windows Ten environment. I
have not seen any of this sluggishness with Firefox. I am wondering if
all those experiencing these issues are running laptops. I know a few
people have indicated that they are running laptops. Is anyone running
only desktops and still having this problem?

I can also confirm similar experience with using Firefox nightly on an
Intel based system with plenty of CPU and memory

Seems a little worse lately like in the last few weeks happening
almost once a day

Also using no script the script blocker and usually only allowing
scripts temporarily on the tabs I'm actively using

Lately it seems like more drastic measures are required like power
cycling the system however in the past restarting nvda used to work

Russ

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021, 10:19 AM Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@gmail.com
<mailto:giles.turnbull@gmail.com>> wrote:

I experience this, usually a couple of times per day. For me, NVDA
is too inactive to use Task Manager to see what process is
seizing-up my laptop or tablet. I don't have a desktop shortcut to
kill the Firefox process because I didn't know Firefox was to
blame. Usually using the Alt+Shift+n shortcut to force NVDA to
re-start will work and, as long as I use that brief moment of NVDA
life to close a few programs that I figured might be responsible
(Firefox and WinAmp and word) I can make sure that I have any
unsaved documents saved before re-starting my computer.

I do use Chrome as well as Firefox, but since Firefox is still
running with its tabs open when I also use Chrome, I don't know
whether this happens if I'd only used Chrome that day. I much
prefer the Firefox browser.

I'm using the latest Firefox (86.0) and the latest stable NVDA
(2020.4) on both a Surface Pro 4 tablet and an Asus gaming laptop,
both using Intel processors and 8Gb memory.

Giles
Giles

--

Ron Canazzi

Hi Bob,

I do run it at times for web mail, but mostly for surfing.  I do listen to sports streams at times as well as music streams and I do have multiple windows open some times--usually no more than 3 or 4 at a time.

On 3/6/2021 7:55 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
How do you tend to use Firefox? I'm using Gmail's web interface in
Firefox right now and am having no problems, but that's because it's
the only thing open. When I load it up with a bunch more stuff, that's
when it becomes a problem.

On 3/6/21, Ron Canazzi <aa2vm@roadrunner.com> wrote:
Hi Group,

I am running three desktops networked in a Windows Ten environment. I
have not seen any of this sluggishness with Firefox. I am wondering if
all those experiencing these issues are running laptops. I know a few
people have indicated that they are running laptops. Is anyone running
only desktops and still having this problem?

I can also confirm similar experience with using Firefox nightly on an
Intel based system with plenty of CPU and memory

Seems a little worse lately like in the last few weeks happening
almost once a day

Also using no script the script blocker and usually only allowing
scripts temporarily on the tabs I'm actively using

Lately it seems like more drastic measures are required like power
cycling the system however in the past restarting nvda used to work

Russ

On Sat, Mar 6, 2021, 10:19 AM Giles Turnbull <giles.turnbull@gmail.com
<mailto:giles.turnbull@gmail.com>> wrote:

I experience this, usually a couple of times per day. For me, NVDA
is too inactive to use Task Manager to see what process is
seizing-up my laptop or tablet. I don't have a desktop shortcut to
kill the Firefox process because I didn't know Firefox was to
blame. Usually using the Alt+Shift+n shortcut to force NVDA to
re-start will work and, as long as I use that brief moment of NVDA
life to close a few programs that I figured might be responsible
(Firefox and WinAmp and word) I can make sure that I have any
unsaved documents saved before re-starting my computer.

I do use Chrome as well as Firefox, but since Firefox is still
running with its tabs open when I also use Chrome, I don't know
whether this happens if I'd only used Chrome that day. I much
prefer the Firefox browser.

I'm using the latest Firefox (86.0) and the latest stable NVDA
(2020.4) on both a Surface Pro 4 tablet and an Asus gaming laptop,
both using Intel processors and 8Gb memory.

Giles
Giles

--

--