is there a way to access links that are graphics using NVDA

Betsy Grenevitch

I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Press "G" on that site, and see if you can find it that way.

On 9/19/2022 9:48 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

Betsy Grenevitch

Thank you, I will try that.

On 9/19/2022 9:52 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Press "G" on that site, and see if you can find it that way.

On 9/19/2022 9:48 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Gene

If you send us the link to the page, we can look at it and see how to do it.  It probably can be done.

Gene

On 9/19/2022 8:48 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

Betsy Grenevitch

I found graphics but not one that played the interview like my daughter found visually.

I know it was suggested I send the link here but it is not the same link each time. I do not know if it would help to send the link, either, because you have to be subscribed to his email list and there is a fee.

Thanks for trying, though.

On 9/19/2022 9:52 PM, Governor staten wrote:

Press "G" on that site, and see if you can find it that way.

On 9/19/2022 9:48 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

This is another instance where a solution is very, very unlikely to be found without an actual example of the "thing not working" to work with.

Even though I am sighted, the description of "the thing" doesn't ring any bells at all, though it may be immediately obvious to me (as it was to Betsy's daughter) were I to see it.

I have grown to very actively despise what I call link buttons, which are presented visually as buttons but are actually links.  The graphic part is what I see as the button.  But usually they're labeled in the same way they would have been were they buttons, though you can't find them by looking for buttons.

It is well to open one's mind but only as a preliminary to closing it . . . for the supreme act of judgment and selection.

       ~ Irving Babbitt

Gene

Are you asked to log into a page before you listen to audio or do you just play the audio when you get to the page?
If the page is generally available to the public, once your browser is on the page, issue the command control l.
Then copy the link to the clipboard with control c.
Send a message to the list and in that message, paste the link, using control v.

If there is some reason we shouldn't see the page or hear the audio, such as the audio being intended only to be heard by list members and if it contains private information in some way, you may not want to do this but if the e-mail is sending you to pages available to the public, you may.

Gene

On 9/19/2022 9:45 PM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

[...]

It says you can only access this particular link if you subscribe to the person's list which I do. Thanks, though.

On 9/19/2022 11:12 PM, Gene wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

Recently, start page search engine has links that just say link link link etc with no apparent text or indeed even an indication that these are graphics of some kind. I have also seen buttons that are not buttons but, so if the page says, hit the big green button, often it may look like a button, but iis in fact a link or other clickable item of some sort.

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

I spent a couple of hours today trying to find a play link/button and my
daughter comes in and does it in a minute. She is sighted and I asked
her why I could not find it. She said it is a graphic and actually not a
button. Is there a way around this problem on a website? Thank you so much.

If there is not, and if I can find out how to contact the person whose
site it is, what do I need to tell them needs to be changed to fix it?

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Brian's Mail list account

Is this a site where many people have pages each of which have the same layout and the like? Maybe some people will allow you to enter for free, if so, you might want to do two things. 1 send the public page address here.
2 try to find a contact for the site and let them know that by a simple label they can make it accessible.

[...]

I do not know the answer to this question.

On 9/20/2022 1:44 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Is this a site where many people have pages each of which have the same layout and the like? Maybe some people will allow you to enter for free, if so, you might want to do two things. 1 send the public page address here.
2 try to find a contact for the site and let them know that by a simple label they can make it accessible.
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

You are looking for the play button when you get to a page. I will try to send the link before I finally head to bed but am not sure you can access the recording.

Thanks for your help with this as I am sure there will be other times I want to access this site.

[...]

I don't know what browser you are using but I just looked at Start Page and I found no unlabeled anything on the home page.  Whether you see a different home page in the UK, I don't know but in the United States, everything is read as it should be.

Gene

On 9/20/2022 12:40 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Recently, start page search engine has links that just say link link link etc with no apparent text or indeed even an indication that these are graphics of some kind. I have also seen buttons that are not buttons but, so if the page says, hit the big green button, often it may look like a button, but iis in fact a link or other clickable item of some sort.

this page says the content is for paid subscribers, perhaps to Substack.  However, it may be possible to find free audio content on Substack we can work with.

Gene

On 9/20/2022 1:16 AM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
OK, here is the link for the interview.

https://ewerickson.substack.com/p/ron-desantis-interview?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&utm_medium=email#details

On 9/20/2022 1:44 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Is this a site where many people have pages each of which have the same layout and the like? Maybe some people will allow you to enter for free, if so, you might want to do two things. 1 send the public page address here.
2 try to find a contact for the site and let them know that by a simple label they can make it accessible.

It may be that a [paid subscriber to substack can look at the page and answer your question.

For now, you may want to start at the top of the page and issue the read to end command.  See if you hear anything relevant such as something that says listen.

You may want to try to find the item much faster.  If the feature has a title somewhere down the page, the listen control may be below the title, and not very far below the title.  I seldom read an entire page looking for something.  You might also read a bit of each line by down arrowing, which would be much faster than letting an entire page read.  I generally don't do that because I first look for some sort of listen item where I think it might be.

For example, radio stations often have listen links close to the top of the page.
A podcast, often has a listen link or download link or both, somewhere around the text discussing the content of the podcast.

Also, I'm not saying you will find a link.  You will likely find a link or a button but it may be something else.  I saw an item on a site, I think it was a Tunein page, where there is something that just says the word play.  I pressed enter and the audio played.  But the word play is not a link, nor a button nor identified as clickable.  It is just the word play.

Gene
GeneOn 9/20/2022 1:16 AM, Betsy Grenevitch wrote:

OK, here is the link for the interview.

https://ewerickson.substack.com/p/ron-desantis-interview?utm_source=podcast-email%2Csubstack&utm_medium=email#details

On 9/20/2022 1:44 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Is this a site where many people have pages each of which have the same layout and the like? Maybe some people will allow you to enter for free, if so, you might want to do two things. 1 send the public page address here.
2 try to find a contact for the site and let them know that by a simple label they can make it accessible.
Brian

I am not sure what happens after you subscribe, but on Facebook I find
videos which says 'play' without NVDA saying whether its a button or
link. I press enter to play the video, but nothing happens. When I do
a left click by pressing NVDA key plus left bracket the video plays.
Perhaps it might work on that interview as well.

On 9/20/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@...

Betsy Grenevitch

This does not even say play. My daughter told me this morning that it is not even a labeled graphic.

On 9/20/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Given the popularity of Substack, some list members may already use it and may be able to answer the question.

Gene

On 9/20/22, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

It seems to only occur after i go to settings and customise it and then save it. Firefox and Waterfox, but Edge works.
I have a feeling that all the links are actually the same as the first one.
Not got time to look at it further at this point though. Another quirk of the way pages are written I'd imagine. It actually seems to work better on the Windows 7 machine.