Is there a way to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to a tab by pressing its corresponding number

Khalid Anwar

Good morning,

I was wondering if there is any way in NVDA to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to the tab by pressing its corresponding number, perhaps with a modifier key as well.
currently I do find it quite difficult to navigate between many open tabs by pressing alt and tab, is there perhaps an add-on or something in development that could help me with this?

Gene

This is a browser function.  If you use commands such as control 1, control 2, etc. you can jump from tab to tab.  You can use up to and including number 8 in this way.  As I understand this, control 9 moves you to the last tab on the right, no matter how many you have opened.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2021 7:23 AM
Subject: [nvda] Is there a way to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to a tab by pressing its corresponding number

Good morning,

I was wondering if there is any way in NVDA to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to the tab by pressing its corresponding number, perhaps with a modifier key as well.
currently I do find it quite difficult to navigate between many open tabs by pressing alt and tab, is there perhaps an add-on or something in development that could help me with this?

Khalid Anwar

It doesn’t seem to work for me in Microsoft edge, I wonder if you have to open the tabs in the same window.
I also don’t think it works with web apps like Microsoft XL or teams app.
Out of curiosity, would it be possible to do this in NVDA itself?

Gene

This has nothing to do with NVDA.  What you want to do is a browser function.  Are you opening multiple tabs?  To be sure, follow a link with control enter.  That will open the link in a new tab.  I don’t know what you are doing but if you do that, it will open a new tab.  Then if those are the only two tabs opened, you can move between them with control 1 and control 2.

I don’t know about the other programs you are discussing. 
Gene

-----Original message-----
Sent: Monday, September 06, 2021 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is there a way to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to a tab by pressing its corresponding number

It doesn’t seem to work for me in Microsoft edge, I wonder if you have to open the tabs in the same window.

Sarah k Alawami

Actually it would be nice if we could do this on windows itself, navigate between our alt tabs with numbers or alt numbers or what not. Is theerr an nvda add on we can use to do this? Or is there a native windows function nvda supports to do this?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, September 6, 2021 12:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Is there a way to assign numbers to open tabs, and then jump to a tab by pressing its corresponding number

This has nothing to do with NVDA.  What you want to do is a browser function.  Are you opening multiple tabs?  To be sure, follow a link with control enter.  That will open the link in a new tab.  I don’t know what you are doing but if you do that, it will open a new tab.  Then if those are the only two tabs opened, you can move between them with control 1 and control 2.

Gene

Gene

I don’t know what you mean by do this in Windows.

You can look for an add-on but I think it would be redundant.  Moving through tabs is a browser function and not within the pervview of screen-readers.

I don’t know if any other prohgrams use tabs in this way and have the movement commands browsers do.  I’ve only seen this discussed in the context of browsers.

Gene

Sent: Monday, September 06, 2021 3:40 PM

Actually it would be nice if we could do this on windows itself, navigate between our alt tabs with numbers or alt numbers or what not. Is theerr an nvda add on we can use to do this? Or is there a native windows function nvda supports to do this?

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Monday, September 6, 2021 12:14 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Gene

Sascha Cowley

Your message is a little unclear on what you're trying to do: you use the term tabs, which usually refers to things like browser tabs, but then describe the Alt+Tab shortcut, which switches between windows, not tabs.
In the case that you are talking about browser tabs, most browsers support using Ctrl+<number> to switch between tabs, with Ctrl+9 jumping you to the last tab, regardless of if it's the 9th or not. These must be browser tabs, not browser windows.
Switching between windows can be achieved with Win+<number>, with the order being determined by the order the windows are shown on the task bar. I personally find this particularly useful because I can pin programs to the taskbar and access them by shortcut (EG I hit Win+1 for Firefox and Win+2 for Thunderbird).

Khalid Anwar

Thank you,
That was what I meant but I could’ve been more clear in my terminology, thank you for the help and jumping between windows.
I did notice though that it doesn’t seem to work for tabs which are opened in the same browser but in multiple windows, for example two Microsoft edge tabs in two different windows.

Gene

If they don’t work when you have multiple tabs opened in the same Window, I don’t know why.  it works here and these are standard Windows browser commands. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, September 07, 2021 12:33 PM

Thank you,
That was what I meant but I could’ve been more clear in my terminology, thank you for the help and jumping between windows.
I did notice though that it doesn’t seem to work for tabs which are opened in the same browser but in multiple windows, for example two Microsoft edge tabs in two different windows.