Is there a way to control click (select) with NVDA?

Joshua Tubbs

I am trying to do 301 redirects to support HTTPS on my WordPress site. A guide I came across suggests using the Better Search Replace plugin to edit the URLs in the database tables from HTTP to HTTPS. However, the plugin has an unconventional list box with the tables in it and it says to control click on Windows to select multiple tables.
Is there any way to do this with NVDA, or is this just an inaccessible list box element and I need to find some other obscure way no doubt.
Thanks.

Under Windows, in most instances where list selection(s) are possible, CTRL + SPACEBAR will select (or deselect) an item to add to (remove from) the collection of things already selected.  You must keep the CTRL held down between items to do a multi select.  If you release it and proceed to move with the arrow keys the previously selected items will then deselect.  Note, you sometimes have to have held down CTRL and hit SPACEBAR two times to select the first item you wish to select.  I wish I could figure out why that is, but I've never yet found the "rhyme and reason" for it, but after that first item is selected, so long as CTRL remains held while moving between items, the following ones only need to have spacebar hit once to select (or deselect if you accidentally select something you don't want) it.

If you're trying to select all, try a CTRL + A , as that often works as a select all in any context where multi-selection is possible.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Nutt

Hi Brian,

The reason for the double press of CTRL Space is that you are already on the first item, so it is selected. What you are effectively doing, is unselecting, then reselecting it.

Example, if you move to an item in the list, it is now selected. If you want to continue selecting items above or below it, press control and down/up arrow to move to them, and hit space, the one you selected first, should remain selected.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close

Stevenage

Hertfordshire

SG1 4PW

T: +44(0)1438-742286

M: +44(0)7956-334938

F: +44(0)1438-759589

E: steve@...

On Mon, Oct 4, 2021 at 10:38 AM, Steve Nutt wrote:
The reason for the double press of CTRL Space is that you are already on the first item, so it is selected. What you are effectively doing, is unselecting, then reselecting it.
-
I now see what you mean, literally.   Those of us who are "point and clickers" in our general daily workings with Windows come into things like file explorer Windows with focus on the folder tree, not the file list, and everything in the file list is unselected.  When we point and click on that first item, it does a combination of "gain focus and select."

When I do the same thing via keyboard and down arrow on to the first item (or just land on it, no down arrowing necessary) precisely the same thing happens, but because of the way Windows shows focus and selection at the same time, and since I haven't pointed or clicked, there is a tendency to see what's presented as letting you know where the system focus is, rather than that it's also selected.

This is one of those things where I'm used to thinking about what I see in one way because I operate it in one way most of the time.  Thanks for pointing out that down/up arrowing through a list of items without having pressed anything gives me focus and selection simultaneously just as pointing to it and clicking would have.  After that, the need to hold CTRL, and keep it held, to continue selecting non-contiguous items via spacebar is precisely the same as it is were I clicking.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jackie

Joshua, there is a far better and easier way than a plugin to do this.
Please contact me at
abletec at g mail dot com
(note the munging of the address to (hopefully) prevent harvesting &
let me know what you're hosting WP on, ie, Linux (or, hopefully not)
Windows), as well as your webserver software, & I can advise.

This will be my last post on the topic.

[...]

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

~ John F. Kennedy

Well

I use this plugin.

Really Simple SSL

You don't need to direct anything its going to do it for you.

Your previder does need an updated cert and you have to be able to manually or automatically be able to keep that updated but as far as I understand it you just plug and play.

I have certainly had no issues with that plugin.

On 5/10/2021 2:53 am, Joshua Tubbs wrote:
I am trying to do 301 redirects to support HTTPS on my WordPress site. A guide I came across suggests using the Better Search Replace plugin to edit the URLs in the database tables from HTTP to HTTPS. However, the plugin has an unconventional list box with the tables in it and it says to control click on Windows to select multiple tables.
Is there any way to do this with NVDA, or is this just an inaccessible list box element and I need to find some other obscure way no doubt.
Thanks.

Life in Six Dots

I’ll second “Really Simple SSL”.