is there a way to copy a link from the body of an email?

Betsy Grenevitch

I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy,

All I can tell you, and it pretty much applies anywhere in Windows 10 where hyperlinks are present (and, note well, that means a real one - if someone managed to put one in that came through as plain text, and it happens the following does not apply).

If you have focus on/somewhere in the hyperlink itself, if you bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing there is generally a "Copy Hyperlink" or "Copy Link" option.  I'm not on my machine that has Thunderbird on it at the moment, but I use that technique all over the place.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

Have you tried the standard Windows method of selecting the link then using control c?  that isn’t an NVDA command.

I won’t discuss the various ways of copying to the clipboard using NVDA in this message since they shouldn’t be necessary for what you are doing.

Anywhere there is a cursor or a virtual cursor such as in browse mode, you can use the Windows method.  If you need discussion of that, ask.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:52 PM
Subject: [nvda] is there a way to copy a link from the body of an email?

I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get
the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in
another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the
latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the
numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems
to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Chris Smart

Why not use the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to select the text, copy it to the clipboard, and then paste it wherever?

If the link is on one line, you would go CTRL+Shift+End to select, CTRL+C to copy, then switch to wherever you want to paste and go CTRL+V to paste.

If you are unfamiliar with Windows basics like this, I recommend you get a copy of the Basic Training for NVDA available on the NV Access Website, and work through the examples.

On 2021-05-28 4:52 p.m., Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems to be saving to the clipboard.

Chris Smart

yep, that works here too.

On 2021-05-28 4:57 p.m., Brian Vogel wrote:
Betsy,

All I can tell you, and it pretty much applies anywhere in Windows 10 where hyperlinks are present (and, note well, that means a real one - if someone managed to put one in that came through as plain text, and it happens the following does not apply).

If you have focus on/somewhere in the hyperlink itself, if you bring up the context menu by the method of your choosing there is generally a "Copy Hyperlink" or "Copy Link" option.  I'm not on my machine that has Thunderbird on it at the moment, but I use that technique all over the place.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I just saw Brian’s message and I should have said that what I described iss if the link is written out, not a link that says click here or some other text that isn’t the actual written out link.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 4:01 PM

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:52 PM

I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get
the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in
another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the
latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the
numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems
to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

It does not come across as a link when I try control-C. I had tried that before asking my question. I have spent almost an hour on this.

On 2021-05-28 4:52 p.m., Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy Grenevitch

It is the actual link to the file. It just says "link download" and it plays the file for you when you click on it.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 4:01 PM

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 3:52 PM

I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to get
the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put it in
another email.

I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the
latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.

Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the
numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing seems
to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

Betsy,

If the email isn't private, or at least the chunk of it where the link resides, either forward me the whole message or copy the sentences surrounding and including it, and send that.

I really can't advise on this in the abstract since "the usual things" don't seem to be working.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Also, as several have already pointed out, this is definitely not "an NVDA thing."

Cut/copy/paste is really not specific to any given program.  Those commands are built into Windows and all the various programs do is do a system call to do any one of those functions.

Context menus, however, are context (that would be program or part of program you're working in) specific.  Hence the name.  But even these are more similar for standard functions than they are different.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Rui Fontes

Hello!

If you move to the link with K, you can do one of the following:

Application key, or Shift+F10, and choose Copy link or something like;

If the link is not a word, but a proper link you can press Insert+NumPad 5 three times...

Rui Fontes

Did you write the link as http://www. etc?  It may not appear to be a link but it may be one.  For example, there are times when I write out links as I described above and the e-mail program shows the text of the title of the article where I wrote the link.  As I recall, the screen-reader doesn’t say link or see it as a link but if you send the message, the recipient will see the title and it will be recognized as a link.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 4:11 PM

It does not come across as a link when I try control-C. I had tried that
before asking my question. I have spent almost an hour on this.

On 5/28/2021 5:03 PM, Chris Smart wrote:
> Why not use the standard Windows keyboard shortcuts to select the
> text, copy it to the clipboard, and then paste it wherever?
>

> If the link is on one line, you would go CTRL+Shift+End to select,
> CTRL+C to copy, then switch to wherever you want to paste and go
> CTRL+V to paste.
>

> If you are unfamiliar with Windows basics like this, I recommend you
> get a copy of the Basic Training for NVDA available on the NV Access
> Website, and work through the examples.
>

> On 2021-05-28 4:52 p.m., Betsy Grenevitch wrote:
>> I looked up what I had written in the past but have not been able to
>> get the link to copy from an email to the clipboard so that I can put
>> it in another email.
>>

>> I am using the latest version of thunderbird and as far as I know the
>> latest version of NVDA until the one that is just coming out.
>>

>> Any help would be appreciated. What I tried is the insert key on the
>> numpad while pressing the number 5 on the numpad twice but nothing
>> seems to be saving to the clipboard.

--
Betsy Grenevitch 678-862-3876

ctrl+shift+right arrow should copy a link. Find the beginning of the link, then use the keyboard combination I gave you. After it is selected, use ctrl+c and that should copy it.

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 06:38 PM, Governor staten wrote:
ctrl+shift+right arrow should copy a link. Find the beginning of the link, then use the keyboard combination I gave you. After it is selected, use ctrl+c and that should copy it.
-
This is unreliable, in my experience, particularly if a screen reader is involved.

I just tried this about 15 minutes ago, with NVDA on, and all I got was the link text, but not the formatted click-through link using that text.  I could reliably do this then bring up the context menu and choose Copy Link Address.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

The problem is that control right arrow doesn’t necessarily move you to the end of the link.  Its generally used for move by word but links are not necessarily interpreted as words and you may stop in the middle.  If you are using browse mode, where every link is on its own line and you do home then shift end, you will have selected the link and that should be reliable, just as it is on a web page.  I’m talking about written out links, http://www etc.

Sent: Friday, May 28, 2021 5:50 PM

On Fri, May 28, 2021 at 07:20 PM, Gene wrote:
I’m talking about written out links, http://www etc.
-
But I'm not.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Betsy Grenevitch

I want to thank everyone who gave suggestions about saving a link for an email. It was a word link. I also want to thank Brian because he also did such a great job writing me privately to make sure I could work through it.

thanks to everyone for such a quick response.

I thought you might be interested that on the Asus keyboard shift-F10 key does not get me to the context menu. My daughter had to remind me--and now it is written down--that context menu on this laptop is the (I am not sure if it is saying FN or F-end key) plus the right control key. When I turn on keyboard help it does not say anything when I push down the key. It is just to the wright of the left control key.

On 5/28/2021 6:03 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
[...]

Chris Mullins

                Hi Betsy

It is the FN key which acts as a modifier key when used in conjunction with another key to activate a function.  It sounds like  FN+RightControl is simulating the “Applications” key in this case.  I use a full size USB keyboard and the applications key is to the left of the right control key but on many laptop keyboards, the applications key is missing and the FN+another key is used to simulate it’s function.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows 10