Topics

Is there any advantage for NVDA use in updating MS Office from 2010 to 2019?

Milton Charlton

I just started to try NVDA to read email in MS Office Outlook 2010 desktop  and to read documents in MS Word 2010.  Is there any known advantage for use of NVDA in updating Office 2010 to Office 2019 desktop version?
I have not tried many commands yet.
Does the Windows 10 built-in email program work well with NVDA? It is a lot cheaper to buy desktop Office 2019 without Outlook.
I am running out of time vision-wise and need to get my system working as well as possible soon.
My goal is a completely hands-off computer using MS Speech Recognition and NVDA.  I hope to be able to assist others I know .
My computer: i7 3.4 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 10 up to date.
Thanks

Rosemarie Chavarria

Hi, Milton,

I think NVDA will work well with outlook 2019. The mail app does work pretty well wityh NVDA. Thunderbird is really good too. That's what I'm using.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Rosemarie

On 12/24/2020 9:09 AM, Milton Charlton wrote:
I just started to try NVDA to read email in MS Office Outlook 2010 desktop  and to read documents in MS Word 2010.  Is there any known advantage for use of NVDA in updating Office 2010 to Office 2019 desktop version?
I have not tried many commands yet.
Does the Windows 10 built-in email program work well with NVDA? It is a lot cheaper to buy desktop Office 2019 without Outlook.
I am running out of time vision-wise and need to get my system working as well as possible soon.
My goal is a completely hands-off computer using MS Speech Recognition and NVDA.  I hope to be able to assist others I know .
My computer: i7 3.4 GHz, 16 Gb RAM, Windows 10 up to date.
Thanks

Milton,

          I cannot say, precisely, whether there is any advantage in regard to NVDA specifically in ditching Office 2010, but I can say that you should ditch it, anyway.  It is officially out of support now, and was getting "very creaky" for several years prior to that.  I went from Office 2010 to Office 2016.

         That being said, there are free options other than Office that are very accessible, as there are for email clients.  LibreOffice and SoftMaker Office Free (provided you choose the "classic menus" interface - NOT the ribbons interface - when you first try to use any one of its three programs) are both accessible and both can handle MS-Office format documents and both can, if you configure them that way, save the documents they create in the same file formats used by MS-Office.  Thunderbird is an accessible email client and I think that eM Client has come a long way, too, though I don't know if it's yet 100% accessible in every aspect.

           If money is an issue, I encourage people to make the transition to an alternative office suite and email client.  And for the record, and this is just my opinion, if you are currently an Outlook user I doubt very seriously as to whether you'd find the Win10 Mail App an acceptable alternative.  I hate it, and it's because it is an extremely feature light email client, which is fine if you're not used to a feature rich one, but likely to be disappointing if you are and you use a lot of the features of your current email client.

Ian Blackburn

Although office 2010 is out of support it’s still receives security updates mine did the other day