Is This a NVDA Setting or is this a Problem with the Site?

Martin McCormick

I went to the web site of

http://www.silicondust.com

which is a company that makes a line of server-type devices and a
few actual servers one can put on their network to stream cable
and over-the-air TV on their WiFi or wired networks. I have a
device for cable and another for an outside antenna and they are
accessible if one is willing to use a little elbow grease
involving some programming and the use of such applications as
vlc to transcode or convert the mpeg4 packets these devices put
on your home network to mpeg2 which is what movies are encoded
as.

I haven't visited that site in a few years and I also had
not done so with brave which is based on chromium and Windows10
with nvda so I was a little frustrated when I went there to get
the Windows10 software pack that can talk to those devices and
got as far as the Downloads link and then every solitary link
after that said, "graphic no description available."

There would be half a dozen of these no-help tags after
the main header.

I actually got the Mac and Windows software anyway by
using lynx on a Debian Linux command-line system but I was just
lucky that their web site is well enough done that it apparently
does not use javascript in the download portion of the web pages
but the labels I needed were right there and lynx read them plus
the download actually worked fine for both the Macintosh and the
Windows10 archives.

So I am wondering if I have failed to set nvda correctly
since you would think brave should work well for this purpose.

If anybody would like to try www.silicondust.com to see
what they get, go to Downloads and see if you can find your way
around the links just under Downloads. You don't need to
actually click on the files and download them as I do have them
but it's not very useful to keep hearing "graphic no description
available" Who knows what one might accidentally click on?

If I can change some setting and make it work, no need to
complain to Tech Support. If it really is broken, I will
congratulate them on the otherwise well-done site and remind them
that those of us who are blind also use TV and their devices
give us the whole data stream so we can get SAP if the program
has it but having information about what the links do is
necessary to work efficiently.

Thanks.

Martin McCormick

Chris

Or possibly a brave setting???

Looks normal to me in brave, so not sure what you are struggling with regards to the links

[...]

Gene

I don’t know what accounts for the problem.  I went to the sight and followed the link that said download  on the page.  While I didn’t look at every one, I looked at a lot and all the ones I looked at read.  I followed one or two links and the download dialog opened so I evidently could have downloaded what I had gotten to if I had continued.

Sent: Saturday, July 17, 2021 6:46 AM

[...]

"Chris via groups.io" <chrismedley=btinternet.com@groups.io> writes:
Or possibly a brave setting???
I think it's a brave problem and that was a good
suggestion. I tried Microsoft Edge and everything is normal
there. It's mostly normal with brave but there is a lot of shall
we say, exposed innards babbling away about graphic links and no
available description and what I get with edge is a perfectly
normal screen that doesn't have me scratching my head and
wondering if something is amiss or whether there is a setting I
can tweak to make things just work.

Anyway, thanks.

Martin

Martin,

Consider uninstalling and reinstalling Brave itself if you have not dedicated a lot of time to tweaking settings in Brave.

The difficulty here, and through no fault of your own, is that there are just so darned many settings, many of which can interact with each other, and if you've done any fiddling (and particularly if you don't remember specifically what) it becomes impossible for others to replicate the problems you're having.  There could also just be a weirdness with your installation of Brave that might be solved with an uninstall/reinstall.

But using another Chromium-based browser as a workaround is the best quick and dirty solution.  And even if you were to report the issues, and they were common to all Brave users, I've very often gotten the reply from various tech support folks to use Chrome or Edge.  They're never going to test their sites using every possible Chromium-based browser, and if the site works well in all respects using the two major ones then they've definitely done their due diligence.  I only expect testing on Firefox, Chrome, and Edge, at most.

      ~ Brian Vogel