Topics

issue with extention confirmed

ken lawrence

Hi listers I updated the extention for winamp the other day and as reported originally the extention made winamp invisible the NVDA can’t even read with insirt plus T that you are sitting on winamp. I had to disable the extention.  Just now after downloading a song and tagging in winamp for possible play on a radio show I decided to enable the add on and sure enough winamp vanished.  It is running but I can’t apparently even go to my context menu to view file information.  I can tag files but I have to guess what I’m focused on to do it.  Is anyone else having issues with winamp extention version 1.2? 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

Does restarting NVDA help?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of ken lawrence via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 4:29 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] issue with extention confirmed

Hi listers I updated the extention for winamp the other day and as reported originally the extention made winamp invisible the NVDA can’t even read with insirt plus T that you are sitting on winamp. I had to disable the extention.  Just now after downloading a song and tagging in winamp for possible play on a radio show I decided to enable the add on and sure enough winamp vanished.  It is running but I can’t apparently even go to my context menu to view file information.  I can tag files but I have to guess what I’m focused on to do it.  Is anyone else having issues with winamp extention version 1.2? 

Gene

Is the old one still compatible with the version of Winamp you are using?

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 6:29 AM
Subject: [nvda] issue with extention confirmed

Ron Canazzi

Hi Ken,

I cannot confirm your issue with Winamp as such.  However, there is a long standing issue that I have had since upgrading to Windows 10 and using Winamp. 

What happens is that if I click on an audio file in Windows Explorer Winamp will play but NVDA  won't focus on Winamp.  That is to say, NVDA will stay focused on the file in Windows Explorer that I have just clicked on.  If I then Press alt + tab and focus on Winamp and then release the keystroke, NVDA still will not focus on Winamp.  If I press insert + T to read the title bar after this second step, NVDA says 'explorer window.'  If I then press alt + tab to focus on Winamp again, this second time, focus stays on Winamp.

That is and has been happening for a few years, my big issue with Winamp.  If  I run Winamp from the desktop, this issue does not occur.

On 11/29/2019 7:29 AM, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:

-- 
They Ask Me If I'm Happy; I say Yes.
They ask: "How Happy are You?"
I Say: "I'm as happy as a stow away chimpanzee on a banana boat!"

Gene

Do you have a shortcut key for Winamp such as control alt p?  Try playing something, then activating the shortcut twice while the file is playing.  I have no idea if it will bring the program into focus but in Windows 7, doing that moves NVDA to Winamp while it is running.  But the focus problem doesn't exist in the first place and I can alt tab to it as well.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 6:47 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] issue with extention confirmed

Hi Ken,

I cannot confirm your issue with Winamp as such.  However, there is a long standing issue that I have had since upgrading to Windows 10 and using Winamp. 

What happens is that if I click on an audio file in Windows Explorer Winamp will play but NVDA  won't focus on Winamp.  That is to say, NVDA will stay focused on the file in Windows Explorer that I have just clicked on.  If I then Press alt + tab and focus on Winamp and then release the keystroke, NVDA still will not focus on Winamp.  If I press insert + T to read the title bar after this second step, NVDA says 'explorer window.'  If I then press alt + tab to focus on Winamp again, this second time, focus stays on Winamp.

That is and has been happening for a few years, my big issue with Winamp.  If  I run Winamp from the desktop, this issue does not occur.

-- 

Howard Traxler

Where is that extention for winamp and how do I know if I have it loaded or running?  Further, how to get rid of it?  Thanks.
Howard

On 11/29/2019 6:29 AM, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:

Kelly Sapergia

Hi,

I also updated the WinAmp add-on to version 1.2 the other day. I can get to
WinAmp just fine, but the playlist editor doesn't work well with NVDA
anymore. Moving through the list with Up and Down arrow doesn't say what
song you're on, and pressing NVDA+Tab won't read the information that way
either now. I ended up having to disable the add-on, and can now move
through the playlist just fine.

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
Show Host and Production Director
The Global Voice Internet Radio
www.theglobalvoice.info

Personal Website: www.ksapergia.net
Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com
Follow me on Twitter at: kjsapergia

Hi,
I'm thinking that part isn't working with NVDA 2019.2.1 (Python 3 optimized
for the most part from what I can gather).
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Kelly Sapergia
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 7:36 AM

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
www.theglobalvoice.info

Business Site (KJS Productions): www.kjsproductions.com Follow me on Twitter
at: kjsapergia

Gene

If you didn't manually place it in Winamp, it isn't there. 

In the NVDA menu, open the tools submenu, down arrow to manage extensions, and press enter.  After the dialog opens you are in a list.  Read current line and up and down arrow to see what, if any extensions, are on the machine.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 9:29 AM

Where is that extention for winamp and how do I know if I have it loaded or running?  Further, how to get rid of it?  Thanks.
Howard

Howard Traxler

My tools menu doesn't have a "manage extensions," choice.  The only manage choiice is manage addons.

On 11/29/2019 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:

In the NVDA menu, open the tools submenu, down arrow to manage extensions, and press enter.  After the dialog opens you are in a list.  Read current line and up and down arrow to see what, if any extensions, are on the machine.

Gene

Howard

Hi,

Howard is correct.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Howard Traxler
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 9:09 AM

My tools menu doesn't have a "manage extensions," choice.  The only manage choiice is manage addons.

Gene

Howard

Gene

I meant to say manage add-ons.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 11:09 AM

Gene

Howard

I have noticed that the winamp may shift tab on its own, control tab back tothe main window.

Sometimes I have noticed the winamp is not focusing and functions like eq do not work right, but if I go to start, back out and alt tab a couple times it does.

Its not that bad though I wish it wouldn't.

On 30/11/2019 1:29 am, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:

I have noticed this to, I have to alt tab to winamp.

I actually like it being done this way maybe it could be added as a toggle to focus or not focus.

I have issue with any media program that focuses on itself and nvda anounces a lot of stuff then I have to stop and replay because I miss a lot of stuff but yeah it does happen sometimes not sure why.

On 30/11/2019 1:47 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Ken,

-- 

Gene

Are you talking about while using the attachment or no attachment?  Also, have you tested to see if the same behavior occurs with another screen-reader?

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 12:06 PM

I have noticed that the winamp may shift tab on its own, control tab back tothe main window.

Sometimes I have noticed the winamp is not focusing and functions like eq do not work right, but if I go to start, back out and alt tab a couple times it does.

Its not that bad though I wish it wouldn't.

On 30/11/2019 1:29 am, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:

You know I do wander with all the incompatabilitys going on we should focus on just conversion of addons to a point, maybe not a complete conversion, but enough of it then upgrade to stable 2019.3 as soon as we can.

True there will be those using old versions but all the addons that ran before the py3 upgrade ie 2019.2x and lower have worked for that system since year 0.

I know that this isn't what users will like and usually I don't say this but since we are getting quite close maybe that could be the way to handle it.

Of course if we are still ages away, the easiest way to handle right now is have both pure 2019.2.1 addons and lower and the new updated versions for py3 for those that want to try them.

For those of us still using the old version we can continue to use it with the functionality we love and know.

On the other hand we should be handling this crap now else it may swamp us later.

Of course added to the mix, we havn't had a large failure rate, most stuff has just moved over rover with little issue on the users.

On 30/11/2019 4:46 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
www.theglobalvoice.info

Hi,
Regarding separate versions: that's what I'm doing with some add-ons although via development snapshots. I myself have committed to making sure my own add-ons are stable for 2019.3 before doing anything major in 2020.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:15 AM

You know I do wander with all the incompatabilitys going on we should focus on just conversion of addons to a point, maybe not a complete conversion, but enough of it then upgrade to stable 2019.3 as soon as we can.

True there will be those using old versions but all the addons that ran before the py3 upgrade ie 2019.2x and lower have worked for that system since year 0.

I know that this isn't what users will like and usually I don't say this but since we are getting quite close maybe that could be the way to handle it.

Of course if we are still ages away, the easiest way to handle right now is have both pure 2019.2.1 addons and lower and the new updated versions for py3 for those that want to try them.

For those of us still using the old version we can continue to use it with the functionality we love and know.

On the other hand we should be handling this crap now else it may swamp us later.

Of course added to the mix, we havn't had a large failure rate, most stuff has just moved over rover with little issue on the users.

On 30/11/2019 4:46 am, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

Hope this helps.

Yours Sincerely,
Kelly John Sapergia
www.theglobalvoice.info

Howard Traxler

It seems like you are using extention interchangebly with add-on.

On 11/29/2019 12:08 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:

I have noticed this to, I have to alt tab to winamp.

I actually like it being done this way maybe it could be added as a toggle to focus or not focus.

I have issue with any media program that focuses on itself and nvda anounces a lot of stuff then I have to stop and replay because I miss a lot of stuff but yeah it does happen sometimes not sure why.

On 30/11/2019 1:47 am, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Ken,

-- 

Hmmm that does bring up a point though.

Everyone is calling addons extentions now.

I am not sure its to late in the piece but I wander what would happen if we called the manage addons function extentions or extention manager or something.

Everything would continue to work as its always done, but everything calling itselff addon would be extention instead of course we can keep the nvda addon package.

Saying that we could just call them packages or modules.

Now nvda package manager sounds a bit linux like and a bit over used but that mistake has got me thinking.

Plugins is another thing, but we could just change things, not much would have to change and just about everyone on the web for chrome etc, is talking about extentions, maybe we should do the same.

On 30/11/2019 6:30 am, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Howard

Hi,

For the most part, extensions and add-ons are interchangeable. It is just that we were used to “add-ons”, hence the terminology.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:33 AM

Hmmm that does bring up a point though.

Everyone is calling addons extentions now.

I am not sure its to late in the piece but I wander what would happen if we called the manage addons function extentions or extention manager or something.

Everything would continue to work as its always done, but everything calling itselff addon would be extention instead of course we can keep the nvda addon package.

Saying that we could just call them packages or modules.

Now nvda package manager sounds a bit linux like and a bit over used but that mistake has got me thinking.

Plugins is another thing, but we could just change things, not much would have to change and just about everyone on the web for chrome etc, is talking about extentions, maybe we should do the same.

On 30/11/2019 6:30 am, Gene wrote:

Gene

Gene

Howard