Topics

issue with extention confirmed

Well I suppose it really doesn't matter what term is used.

There was a time when it was plugins, then for a while it was addon now its extention, the term will probably change in a few years again.

On 30/11/2019 7:37 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

For the most part, extensions and add-ons are interchangeable. It is just that we were used to “add-ons”, hence the terminology.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Shaun Everiss
Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:33 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] issue with extention confirmed

Hmmm that does bring up a point though.

Everyone is calling addons extentions now.

I am not sure its to late in the piece but I wander what would happen if we called the manage addons function extentions or extention manager or something.

Everything would continue to work as its always done, but everything calling itselff addon would be extention instead of course we can keep the nvda addon package.

Saying that we could just call them packages or modules.

Now nvda package manager sounds a bit linux like and a bit over used but that mistake has got me thinking.

Plugins is another thing, but we could just change things, not much would have to change and just about everyone on the web for chrome etc, is talking about extentions, maybe we should do the same.

On 30/11/2019 6:30 am, Gene wrote:

I meant to say manage add-ons.

Gene

----- Original Message -----

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 11:09 AM

My tools menu doesn't have a "manage extensions," choice.  The only manage choiice is manage addons.

On 11/29/2019 10:50 AM, Gene wrote:

If you didn't manually place it in Winamp, it isn't there. 

In the NVDA menu, open the tools submenu, down arrow to manage extensions, and press enter.  After the dialog opens you are in a list.  Read current line and up and down arrow to see what, if any extensions, are on the machine.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 9:29 AM

Where is that extention for winamp and how do I know if I have it loaded or running?  Further, how to get rid of it?  Thanks.
Howard

On 11/29/2019 6:29 AM, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:

Hi listers I updated the extention for winamp the other day and as reported originally the extention made winamp invisible the NVDA can’t even read with insirt plus T that you are sitting on winamp. I had to disable the extention.  Just now after downloading a song and tagging in winamp for possible play on a radio show I decided to enable the add on and sure enough winamp vanished.  It is running but I can’t apparently even go to my context menu to view file information.  I can tag files but I have to guess what I’m focused on to do it.  Is anyone else having issues with winamp extention version 1.2? 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Gene

Although, there must be some difference some of the time because Firefox has a section for add-ons and extensions.  What is the difference, where it exists?

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 12:37 PM

Hi,

For the most part, extensions and add-ons are interchangeable. It is just that we were used to “add-ons”, hence the terminology.

Cheers,

Joseph

I am not sure its to late in the piece but I wander what would happen if we called the manage addons function extentions or extention manager or something.

Everything would continue to work as its always done, but everything calling itselff addon would be extention instead of course we can keep the nvda addon package.

Now nvda package manager sounds a bit linux like and a bit over used but that mistake has got me thinking.

Plugins is another thing, but we could just change things, not much would have to change and just about everyone on the web for chrome etc, is talking about extentions, maybe we should do the same.

Gene

My tools menu doesn't have a "manage extensions," choice.  The only manage choiice is manage addons.

In the NVDA menu, open the tools submenu, down arrow to manage extensions, and press enter.  After the dialog opens you are in a list.  Read current line and up and down arrow to see what, if any extensions, are on the machine.

Gene

Where is that extention for winamp and how do I know if I have it loaded or running?  Further, how to get rid of it?  Thanks.
Howard

Hi listers I updated the extention for winamp the other day and as reported originally the extention made winamp invisible the NVDA can’t even read with insirt plus T that you are sitting on winamp. I had to disable the extention.  Just now after downloading a song and tagging in winamp for possible play on a radio show I decided to enable the add on and sure enough winamp vanished.  It is running but I can’t apparently even go to my context menu to view file information.  I can tag files but I have to guess what I’m focused on to do it.  Is anyone else having issues with winamp extention version 1.2? 

Hi,

It came about due to the way plugins were distributed. The “plugin” in this context refers to practice of distributing Python files to be placed in specific locations, whereas “add-on” is a collection of plugins zipped inside a zip file for ease of install.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 10:42 AM

Well I suppose it really doesn't matter what term is used.

There was a time when it was plugins, then for a while it was addon now its extention, the term will probably change in a few years again.

On 30/11/2019 7:37 am, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

Cheers,

Joseph

Gene

Gene

Howard

ken lawrence

Hi restarting NVDA doesn't work a complete shutdown doesn't work either.  the issue with explorer is one I have encluntered but this is strange winamp completely vanishes. 

I hate it when people have issues of this sort.

No virus, weird configuration.

Try to repair windows itself and then if that doesn't work, reformat and see.

Of course, running a pcpitstop test in internet explorer may or may not tell us anything.

Thats about all that a blind person can do.

You need a diagnostics boot cd and a sightling to run diagnostics.

Also you need to get into the cmos and if there is smart system monitering info you need to see what it is maybe even update bios and firmware.

But this is just speculation.

It could be anything from a dieing component, to windows itself, to a dead chip on the board and may be almost impossible to diagnose.

On 30/11/2019 10:01 am, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote:
Hi restarting NVDA doesn't work a complete shutdown doesn't work either.  the issue with explorer is one I have encluntered but this is strange winamp completely vanishes. 

Gene

But let's keep things as simple as possible if diagnosis is so difficult and may mean a very disruptive solution.

Is the old version of the add-on compatible with the version of NVDA being used?  If so, going back to the old version would be a good solution. 

If you need to run an earlier version of NVDA, then having an earlier version as a portable version would allow you to use it with the older add-on with Winamp and you can use the NVDA version you are currently using for other purposes.  You don't have to update something just because an update is available.  At times, there are good reasons to run an older version of something.

Gene

Sent: Friday, November 29, 2019 4:32 PM

I hate it when people have issues of this sort.

No virus, weird configuration.

Try to repair windows itself and then if that doesn't work, reformat and see.

Of course, running a pcpitstop test in internet explorer may or may not tell us anything.

Thats about all that a blind person can do.

You need a diagnostics boot cd and a sightling to run diagnostics.

Also you need to get into the cmos and if there is smart system monitering info you need to see what it is maybe even update bios and firmware.

But this is just speculation.

It could be anything from a dieing component, to windows itself, to a dead chip on the board and may be almost impossible to diagnose.

On 30/11/2019 10:01 am, ken lawrence via Groups.Io wrote: