Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA


Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.'  When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution?  Thanks for any help.

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Dave Grossoehme
 

Hi Ron:  Go into setting and tab to system, then arrow down to multitasking and see if it helps to change any of the multitasking options.  Good Luck.

Dave

On 6/17/2022 2:40 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.'  When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution?  Thanks for any help.


Sarah k Alawami
 

Iv'e seen this in wondows 10 but I have no idea what causes this to happen. I've seen it with windows t, alt tab, and other places. When it happens it is annoying at best. And, no I have no idea what causes the issue.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 11:41 AM
To: NVDA Official Group <nvda@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA

Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows
11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.' When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution? Thanks for any help.

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Brian's Mail list account
 

Are you sure this is not an intermittent old issue? I'm sure sometimes on Windows 7 this sort of thing happened as well. The only recourse seemed to be to shut and restart nvda then. Sadly I've not used Windows11, so I cannot comment further if its a similar issue.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...>
To: "NVDA Official Group" <nvda@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, June 17, 2022 7:40 PM
Subject: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA


Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.' When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution? Thanks for any help.

--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!





Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Brian,

I haven't used Windows 7 in over 2 years so I can't be sure. I do not remember it happening very much if at all with Windows 7--not enough to write a message to the list anyway.  This seems to have gotten worse with later versions of Windows 10 and the newer Windows 11. I turned on/off the windows shade setting in multitasking and I have only seen it once since then--and I tried deliberately by opening 7 windows one after the other to test.

On 6/18/2022 3:55 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Are you sure this is not an intermittent old issue? I'm sure sometimes on Windows 7 this sort of thing happened as well. The only recourse seemed to be to shut and restart nvda then. Sadly I've not used Windows11, so I cannot comment further if its a similar issue.
Brian
--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Brian's Mail list account
 

Yes and the odd thing is once it starts, even closing all the windows means it still stays there.What exactly is the task switcher? Its weird, since one might expect it to contain a list of tasks, but that is on the normal bar and can be used just like always.
It acts a bit like that old problem where NVDA, had its own phantom window which would not be closed, and if somebody managed to close it by the mouse, nvda went away. Not tried that here, assuming there is in fact a way to close it at all.
It seems worse on those running Windows 7 home than any other flavour.
Could it maybe a ram thing, IE if there are a lot of programs open on a machine with not quite enough ram, it then uses the disc as virtual memory, so that then means things start to slow down.
Brian

--
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.(Virgin media)
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ron Canazzi" <aa2vm@...>
To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Saturday, June 18, 2022 1:14 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA


Hi Brian,

I haven't used Windows 7 in over 2 years so I can't be sure. I do not remember it happening very much if at all with Windows 7--not enough to write a message to the list anyway. This seems to have gotten worse with later versions of Windows 10 and the newer Windows 11. I turned on/off the windows shade setting in multitasking and I have only seen it once since then--and I tried deliberately by opening 7 windows one after the other to test.


On 6/18/2022 3:55 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
Are you sure this is not an intermittent old issue? I'm sure sometimes on Windows 7 this sort of thing happened as well. The only recourse seemed to be to shut and restart nvda then. Sadly I've not used Windows11, so I cannot comment further if its a similar issue.
Brian
--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!





Luke Davis
 

I've always assumed it comes up when all switchable (alt+tabbable) applications are busy, and can't re-render their interfaces for some reason. So Windows can't finish switching to them. But that's a wild guess.

I've only ever run into it when I have three or fewer applications open, which is so very rare that I haven't encountered it enough to bother me.

But I'm pretty sure I have encountered it from time to time in Windows 10 of various releases. (I never had Win 7)

Luke


Gene
 

It evidently is the name of the interface that comes up when you alt tab.  A sighted person evidently sees the names of all opened programs and we, of course, hear the program that has focus when we alt tab to it.  A Google search for task switcher Windows 10 gave this result and others I didn't look at:
https://www.hongkiat.com/blog/switch-tasks-windows-10/

As for the running short of memory hypothesis, that has no bearing on the question.  If you run short of RAM, programs are swapped to the hard drive when not being used.  If you use alt tab to switch to another program, that program comes out of the swap file and is placed in RAM while the program you were previously using goes into the swap file.  The swapping occurs when you release alt tab on the program you want to switch to.

Gene

On 6/19/2022 2:25 AM, Luke Davis wrote:
I've always assumed it comes up when all switchable (alt+tabbable) applications are busy, and can't re-render their interfaces for some reason. So Windows can't finish switching to them. But that's a wild guess.

I've only ever run into it when I have three or fewer applications open, which is so very rare that I haven't encountered it enough to bother me.

But I'm pretty sure I have encountered it from time to time in Windows 10 of various releases. (I never had Win 7)

Luke







Sarah k Alawami
 

I normally have about 8 or so apps open on several desktops. I've only seen
this twice, and it's so rare I forget when it happens, It is annoying though
when it wants to happen.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Luke Davis
Sent: Sunday, June 19, 2022 12:26 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher'
With Recent Updates of NVDA

I've always assumed it comes up when all switchable (alt+tabbable)
applications are busy, and can't re-render their interfaces for some reason.
So Windows can't finish switching to them. But that's a wild guess.

I've only ever run into it when I have three or fewer applications open,
which is so very rare that I haven't encountered it enough to bother me.

But I'm pretty sure I have encountered it from time to time in Windows 10 of
various releases. (I never had Win 7)

Luke


Tony Malykh
 

I experienced this on my Windows 11 laptop. I agree it is quite annoying. I found a workaround - you need to enable classic Alt+Tab dialog:
1. Install program called winaero tweaker
2. Appearance > Alt-Tab appearance > Enable classic Alt+Tab dialog
HTH
--Tony

On 6/17/2022 11:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.'  When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution?  Thanks for any help.


Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Tony,

I downloaded and installed this Winaero Tweaker program and I can't seem to make head nor tail of it.  I thought you said it was accessible with NVDA.  Please advise.

On 6/19/2022 7:51 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
I experienced this on my Windows 11 laptop. I agree it is quite annoying. I found a workaround - you need to enable classic Alt+Tab dialog:
1. Install program called winaero tweaker
2. Appearance > Alt-Tab appearance > Enable classic Alt+Tab dialog
HTH
--Tony


On 6/17/2022 11:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open, I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert + T) as 'Task Switcher.'  When this happens, it makes navigation more difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be causing this and is there a solution?  Thanks for any help.


--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Sarah k Alawami
 

OH, it is. It's a tree view, then you tab to the settings you want to change and away you go. Each setting is part of the section in the tree.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2022 11:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA

Hi Tony,

I downloaded and installed this Winaero Tweaker program and I can't seem to make head nor tail of it. I thought you said it was accessible with NVDA. Please advise.


On 6/19/2022 7:51 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
I experienced this on my Windows 11 laptop. I agree it is quite
annoying. I found a workaround - you need to enable classic Alt+Tab
dialog:
1. Install program called winaero tweaker 2. Appearance > Alt-Tab
appearance > Enable classic Alt+Tab dialog HTH --Tony


On 6/17/2022 11:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or
Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open,
I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert +
T) as 'Task Switcher.' When this happens, it makes navigation more
difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes
annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be
causing this and is there a solution? Thanks for any help.



--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!


Ron Canazzi
 

Hi Group,

I installed the wrong program. It was the repair tools. That is definitely inaccessible. Once I installed the Winaero 1.44.exe, I see the interface works quite well. Now since I checked the box for enable classic alt + tab, will it fix the problem? We shall see.

On 6/23/2022 8:01 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:
OH, it is. It's a tree view, then you tab to the settings you want to change and away you go. Each setting is part of the section in the tree.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Ron Canazzi
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2022 11:50 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issue With This Apparently Phantom Item 'Task Switcher' With Recent Updates of NVDA

Hi Tony,

I downloaded and installed this Winaero Tweaker program and I can't seem to make head nor tail of it. I thought you said it was accessible with NVDA. Please advise.


On 6/19/2022 7:51 PM, Tony Malykh wrote:
I experienced this on my Windows 11 laptop. I agree it is quite
annoying. I found a workaround - you need to enable classic Alt+Tab
dialog:
1. Install program called winaero tweaker 2. Appearance > Alt-Tab
appearance > Enable classic Alt+Tab dialog HTH --Tony


On 6/17/2022 11:40 AM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
Hi Group,

I have noticed that with some recent updates of either NVDA or
Windows 11 itself, that particularly if I have multiple windows open,
I see what I believe is a phantom windows identified with (insert +
T) as 'Task Switcher.' When this happens, it makes navigation more
difficult, slows down the response of the computer and causes
annoying efficiency issues.

Has anyone else experienced this lately and if so, what could be
causing this and is there a solution? Thanks for any help.


--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice; For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!










--
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grievous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!