Issues after downloading windows 11

Jennifer Aucoin

Hi everyone:
We downloaded windows 11 today and since then, we have issues with the screen reader.  There are a number of things that are not announced since the update.

• minimize, maximize and close in Edge and Chrome. They work with Narrator but the verbosity has to be set to 5. It takes a long time for the narrator to catch up with the screen
  • I tried to re load NVDA a few times, but it doesn’t load after the set up screen. 
We downloaded Windows defender a couple of days ago, but I reinstalled NVDA after that and it was ok. 

We’ve worked with the accessibility team at Microsoft, and got Narrator working, but it’s still announcing a lot. 

Any help would be appreciated. 

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 10:30 PM, Jennifer Aucoin wrote:
We downloaded Windows defender a couple of days ago,
-
What, exactly, do you mean by this?  Windows Security, of which Windows Defender is a part, is built in to Windows 8 and later.  There should be nothing to download with the exception of definition updates.

As a general rule, when you have weirdness with Windows 8 or later, try this first:  Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
It still applies under Windows 11, I just have not done updates to my tutorial yet.

And, finally, you say, "I reinstalled NVDA after that and it was OK."  Nothing in your message suggests that it is now not OK.  If the issue is not with NVDA, this list is not the appropriate venue to pursue a fix.  If you believe the issue relates to Windows 11, then you would be best served by joining the following group, if you are not already a member, and posting your question there:

Windows Access with Screen Readers Group (Formerly: Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group)

Group Archive: https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/topics

Subscribe: winaccess+subscribe@winaccess.groups.io

Unsubscribe: winaccess+unsubscribe@winaccess.groups.io  

Group Owner: winaccess+owner@winaccess.groups.io  

Help: winaccess+help@winaccess.groups.io  

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Jennifer Aucoin

NVDA was not announcing the minimize window etc. The tech at Microsoft tried to do everything they could, and suggested reloading NVDA. I deleted the version that was on the computer and tried to reload, but it wouldn’t go past the set up screen. We can’t use it at all. 

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> on behalf of Brian Vogel <britechguy@...>
Sent: Friday, January 28, 2022 11:00:25 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [nvda] Issues after downloading windows 11

On Fri, Jan 28, 2022 at 10:30 PM, Jennifer Aucoin wrote:
We downloaded Windows defender a couple of days ago,
-
What, exactly, do you mean by this?  Windows Security, of which Windows Defender is a part, is built in to Windows 8 and later.  There should be nothing to download with the exception of definition updates.

As a general rule, when you have weirdness with Windows 8 or later, try this first:  Using DISM (Deployment Imaging Servicing and Management) and SFC (System File Checker) to Repair Windows 8 & 10
It still applies under Windows 11, I just have not done updates to my tutorial yet.

And, finally, you say, "I reinstalled NVDA after that and it was OK."  Nothing in your message suggests that it is now not OK.  If the issue is not with NVDA, this list is not the appropriate venue to pursue a fix.  If you believe the issue relates to Windows 11, then you would be best served by joining the following group, if you are not already a member, and posting your question there:

Windows Access with Screen Readers Group (Formerly: Windows 10 for Screen Reader Users Group)

Group Archive: https://winaccess.groups.io/g/winaccess/topics

Subscribe: winaccess+subscribe@winaccess.groups.io

Unsubscribe: winaccess+unsubscribe@winaccess.groups.io  

Group Owner: winaccess+owner@winaccess.groups.io  

Help: winaccess+help@winaccess.groups.io  

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H2, Build 19044  

The instinctive need to be the member of a closely-knit group fighting for common ideals may grow so strong that it becomes inessential what these ideals are.

~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Hi Jennifer,

Hmmm, this is strange. Can you try... oh wait, before that, can you tell us the version of NVDA you are trying to install? This is because in order to use Windows 11 with NVDA effectively, you must use NVDA 2021.3 or later.

Now that's out of the way, can you tell us:

1. For Microsoft Edge problem, can you give us exact steps you are taking (including keyboard commands if any) to a point where Narrator and/or NVDA is not announcing minimize/maximize, etc.?
  2. For the NVDA installation issue, after you select "install" from NVDA launcher window, can you confirm that User Account Control is showing? If yes, you must press Alt+Y (for Yes) to continue installing NVDA.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Joseph