Topics

Issues when using NVDA with comments in MS Word

Akshaya Choudhary

Hello guys, 
I'm facing several following issues while using NVDA with word:
1. NVDA doesn't announce anything while entering a comment section.  By pressing Alt+R, N,  we can enter the next comment in the document, NVDA successfully enters the comment section, but no announcement is made. When I arrow up and down to read the text, it is then an announcement is made. It states comment section, then reads out the text in the comment section.  Sometimes no announcement is made while exiting to the main body of the text also. 
2. No announcement is made while jumping from one comment to the other. When in a particular comment you can simply jump to the next by pressing say all command or by simply Ctrl and down arrow, NVDA doesn't announce comments being jumped. You wouldn't know in which comment you are. It is very difficult to know where a particular comment ends. 
3. Impossible to edit a comment without entering the comment section. Using the letter A in browse mode, it is possible to jump from comment mark up to comment mark up within the body of the main text, but it is not possible to edit it from there itself. After navigating to a particular mark up, the context menu after pressing the application key doesn't provide the option of editing the comment. Although, I think I remember seeing the edit option once, I'm not sure though. 

I would be grateful for any help in these issues. I would say, NVDA not announcing anything while entering a comment section and while jumping one comment section to the other  is creating most difficulty and ambiguity for me. 

Regards 

Salvador Domenech Miguel

Hello. I have the same isues. I'm using the last version of Office 365.

Salva Domenech
Comunicación, realización y soporte a usuarios
Equipo de NVDA en español

Abbie Taylor

I haven't had any experience with comments in Word, but have you, by any chance, checked the box in preferences under document formatting that says "comments?"   
--
Abbie Johnson Taylor, Author
httpccwwwddabbiejohnsontaylor.com
http://abbiescorner.wordpress.com
abbietaylor945@...

Quentin Christensen

1. NVDA doesn't announce anything while entering a comment section.  By pressing Alt+R, N,  we can enter the next comment in the document, NVDA successfully enters the comment section, but no announcement is made. When I arrow up and down to read the text, it is then an announcement is made. It states comment section, then reads out the text in the comment section.  Sometimes no announcement is made while exiting to the main body of the text also.
2. No announcement is made while jumping from one comment to the other. When in a particular comment you can simply jump to the next by pressing say all command or by simply Ctrl and down arrow, NVDA doesn't announce comments being jumped. You wouldn't know in which comment you are. It is very difficult to know where a particular comment ends.
3. Impossible to edit a comment without entering the comment section. Using the letter A in browse mode, it is possible to jump from comment mark up to comment mark up within the body of the main text, but it is not possible to edit it from there itself. After navigating to a particular mark up, the context menu after pressing the application key doesn't provide the option of editing the comment. Although, I think I remember seeing the edit option once, I'm not sure though.

Hi Akshaya,

For 1) When I press ALT+R, N, NVDA reports: "Ribbon Tabs  tab control  expanded
Review  tab  selected  Alt, R  9 of 15
n
Microsoft Word Document  edit  multi line
Comments  frame
section 1
<Reads comment>"

For 2)  That's an interesting bug, particularly as CONTROL+UP ARROW does NOT move you to the previous comment, and it is something NVDA is doing - without NVDA running, control+up / down arrow move you between paragraphs in the one comment (and to the end of the last paragraph in the current comment).  Turning on NVDA's experimental UIA support in Word, control+up and down arrow work as they should.  Interestingly the first time I tried enabling UIA, comment text was not read at all, but turning it off and on again seemed to fix it (UIA enabled now does read the comment correctly and the caret stays within the comment, unless you press ALT+DOWN ARROW or ALT+UP ARROW which seems to be a Word command, as it works like that even without NVDA running)

3) It's an odd oversight, but that one is Microsoft's oversight rather than ours.  I'd noticed it as well and don't have an answer, other than to suggest raising it with Microsoft.

I've created an issue for #2: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10073

Quentin.

On Sun, Aug 11, 2019 at 5:59 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:
Hello guys, 
I'm facing several following issues while using NVDA with word:
1. NVDA doesn't announce anything while entering a comment section.  By pressing Alt+R, N,  we can enter the next comment in the document, NVDA successfully enters the comment section, but no announcement is made. When I arrow up and down to read the text, it is then an announcement is made. It states comment section, then reads out the text in the comment section.  Sometimes no announcement is made while exiting to the main body of the text also. 

I would be grateful for any help in these issues. I would say, NVDA not announcing anything while entering a comment section and while jumping one comment section to the other  is creating most difficulty and ambiguity for me. 

Regards 

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!

Akshaya Choudhary

Thank you, Quentin. 
If I turn on UI automation, NVDA starts to announce its entry into a comment section, and Ctrl+Up or Down arrow doesn't jump NVDA to previous or next comment. But, when in UI automation mode, my Alt+Down arrow command stops functioning. I cannot navigate the text by sentence. I tried reassigning a shortcut via customize ribbon commands. I'm partially sighted, so I could see the cursor moving down one sentence, but NVDA wasn't announcing anything. 
Also, I have noticed, NVDA doesn't read out selected text in word automatically. I have to apply read selected text command. For example, when I jump to some text in the document via Find and Replace commands, NVDA only announces the first line of the selection automatically. To read the entire selection I have to apply read the selected text command. The issue remains the same while exiting a comment section. When I exit a comment section, the text in the main body, to which a comment is attached, is selected by word. But, NVDA doesn’t announce the selection automatically.

Could you help with this?

Regards

Quentin Christensen

UI Automation doesn't yet have all the features of the previous iAccessible 2 infrastructure.  I know some things work better in one mode than the other, but I'm afraid I don't have a solution to give you all the functionality in the one mode.

On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 4:02 AM Akshaya Choudhary <acsociopath@...> wrote:

Thank you, Quentin. 
If I turn on UI automation, NVDA starts to announce its entry into a comment section, and Ctrl+Up or Down arrow doesn't jump NVDA to previous or next comment. But, when in UI automation mode, my Alt+Down arrow command stops functioning. I cannot navigate the text by sentence. I tried reassigning a shortcut via customize ribbon commands. I'm partially sighted, so I could see the cursor moving down one sentence, but NVDA wasn't announcing anything. 
Also, I have noticed, NVDA doesn't read out selected text in word automatically. I have to apply read selected text command. For example, when I jump to some text in the document via Find and Replace commands, NVDA only announces the first line of the selection automatically. To read the entire selection I have to apply read the selected text command. The issue remains the same while exiting a comment section. When I exit a comment section, the text in the main body, to which a comment is attached, is selected by word. But, NVDA doesn’t announce the selection automatically.

Could you help with this?

Regards

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

NVDA 2019.2 RC 1 now available!