locked Japanese TTS engine

juergenkohler23@...

Hello,

is there a free Japanese TTS engine for NVDA (e.g. a SAPI4 or SAPI5 voice)? I would be very happy to receive answers!

Many thanks and best regards

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

yes, you can get it in windows10 by going into settings, ease of access, narrator, get more voices, add voice, then choose the Japanese voices pack.

Ben J. Bloomgren

I will take a look at the Narrator voices, but I’d like to offer another option to you, provided that it’s not a Nono to do it on the list. The IBM TTS has Japanese, Korean, and Mandarin Chinese voices along with some others. Now we just need to have NVDA implement Japanese braille. Then, we’d be in like flint.

Ben

On Nov 10, 2021, at 02:58, juergenkohler23@... wrote:

Hello,

is there a free Japanese TTS engine for NVDA (e.g. a SAPI4 or SAPI5 voice)? I would be very happy to receive answers!

Many thanks and best regards

Clement Chou

NVDA does support Japanese braille, I use ot with a braille sense
polaris and it reads with no issues. :) As for the TTS, that's all
well and good except I don't know of any legal way to get the version
that has the extra languages.

On Nov 10, 2021, at 02:58, juergenkohler23@gmail.com wrote:

Hello,

is there a free Japanese TTS engine for NVDA (e.g. a SAPI4 or SAPI5
voice)? I would be very happy to receive answers!

Many thanks and best regards

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 05:04 PM, Ben J. Bloomgren wrote:
IBM TTS
-
Is an absolute "no-no" on this list because, as Mr. Chou notes, and has been noted on many occasions in the past, there is no legal way to obtain it.

What any of the members may wish to discuss privately is none of my business.  But IBM TTS is not to be discussed publicly on this group.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Jujube

I don't want to stir the pot much more, but from what I've heard, the IBMTTS driver is legal, but the libraries that supply the voices are not. The driver seems to be on GitHub if I'm not mistaken. Otherwise, your other options are to pay for Vocalizer and Acapela.

On Wed, Nov 10, 2021 at 07:34 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
yes, you can get it in windows10 by going into settings, ease of access, narrator, get more voices, add voice, then choose the Japanese voices pack.
-
Thanks for this.

I'm also noting another way of getting this, and that's via Settings, Time & Language, Language Pane, Add a Language button, Search on Japanese.  Japanese is the only language that shows up in the search results and you select it and take the last couple of steps to install that language pack.  In the case of Japanese, it is available for all 4 language features: Display, TTS, Speech Recognition, and Handwriting.

And those steps sound longer than they are.  After you've done them once or twice they take less than a minute, total, tops, if the language you're looking for is available and includes TTS.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Fri, Nov 12, 2021 at 09:51 PM, Jujube wrote:
I don't want to stir the pot much more, but from what I've heard, the IBMTTS driver is legal,
-
Then please don't.  After much consideration, and research, there is no legal method to obtain a fully functional IBM TTS installation.  Thus, discussion of same is off limits on this group.

This is really not a suggestion.  Please, all members, don't push this.  For those of us in group administration this is already very, very old and our position settled and not open to reconsideration.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

but if you are learning for the first time you may want more human sounding voices rather than a 20-year-old IBM-tts which is public domain because support for that old sapi4 product has long since ended. I guess you could use IBM-tts if you want to, after all, its free for the taking from IBM's public ftp site. Or you could buy vocalizer because it has Japanese voices also.

Josh Kennedy <joshknnd1982@...>

the version of IBM-tts with the extra languages is on IBM's public ftp software site and you need filezilla to get at it well filezilla is easiest for me anyway and you can get filezilla from ninite.com ...

On Sat, Nov 13, 2021 at 10:28 AM, Josh Kennedy wrote:
but if you are learning for the first time you may want more human sounding voices rather than a 20-year-old IBM-tts which is public domain
-
Josh,

We're done here.  You know very well, from private exchanges, that your assertion about "public domain" are false.  You were warned not to do this.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Topic locked.

         ~ John F. Kennedy