jaws cursor in nvda

dennis huckle

Hello all,

Is there a keystroke in nvda to review the whole screen rather like the jaws cursor?.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Shaun Oliver

there's more than one.

first of all you have read all controls in the active window. NVDA+B, but, more importantly, you have your object navigation. Using the NVDA key along with the numpad, you can navigate the objects on the screen using numpad 2, numpad 4, numpad 6, and numpad 8. you can use numpad keys 1 and 7 to change between object navigation and screen review mode.

I hope that helps.

Shaun

On 5/09/2021 7:57 pm, dennis huckle rambled on about the following:

Hello all,

Is there a keystroke in nvda to review the whole screen rather like the jaws cursor?.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Gene

You ask for a command to review the whole screen like the JAWS cursor.  Your question is not clear.  It could mean a command like control b that reads the window you are in in JAWS but that is not like the JAWS cursor.  it simply recites everything on the screen.  It appears to me that you mean, is there a command to turn on something like the JAWS cursor in NVDA.

I wrote the following recently to discuss this question and I’m reproducing it here.

For screen review,, which I’ll discuss here, the thing to know is that it is similar to the JAWS cursor, but the movement keys are different.

To enter screen review, and these commands are for the default desktop layout, Use the command num;pad insert numpad 7.  At times, there is a review mode called document review that is available.  It may be available if you are working in a Word processor.  I’m not sure if it is ever available otherwise.  If you issue numpad insert numpad f7, you will hear announced what mode you are in.  If you are now in screen review mode, you will hear screen review announced.  If you try to move further, you will hear no next review mode.  You usually want to be in object review and you should return to it after you work in screen review.  The command to do so is numpad insert numpad 1.  You will hear object review announced.  If you try to move further, you will hear no previous review mode.  If document review is available, you will hear that as one of the options as you move.  For example, if you are in object review mode and you use numpad f7, you will hear document review.  Using the command again, you will hear screen review.  Moving back, numpad insert numpad 1, you will hear the document review, then object review.

You can play with document review.  I have hardly used it.  It limits your movement to the document window, so you won’t be in any part of the screen other than that at the top or bottom of the screen.

The movement commands in screen review are as follows:
Numpad 7.  move back one line.
Numpad 8, read current line.
Numpad 9, move down one line.
Numpad 4, move back one word.
Numpad 5, read current word.
Numpad 6, move forward one word.
Numpad 1, move back one carachter.
Numpad 2, read current character.
Numpad 3, move forward one carachter.
For numppad 8, 5, and 2, if you press numpad 8 and 5 twice quickly, they spell what they announce.  In other words, numpad 8 twice spells the current line, numpad 5 spells the current word.  If you press these keys three times quickly, they say what they announce phonetically, such as foxtrot alpha, etc.
Since numpad 1 announces the current carachter, pressing it twice announces it phonetically.  Obviously, no spell announcement is necessary because it is already announcing one single carachter.

To move to the top of the screen, use numpad shift 7.
To move to the bottom, numpad shift 9.

Gene

Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2021 5:27 AM
Subject: [nvda] jaws cursor in nvda

Hello all,

Is there a keystroke in nvda to review the whole screen rather like the jaws cursor?.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

dennis huckle

Many thanks Jean,

Exactly what I wanted.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2021 5:27 AM

Hello all,

Is there a keystroke in nvda to review the whole screen rather like the jaws cursor?.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Howard Traxler

Gene, in addition, you might include that, using the numpad in "desktop keyboared--and maybe more) pressing the read key (line, word, charactor) one more time will spell the entire target phonetically using (I hope) international phoenetics).
Howard

On 9/5/2021 9:30 AM, dennis huckle wrote:

Many thanks Jean,

Exactly what I wanted.

Kind regards,

Dennis huckle.

Sent: Sunday, September 05, 2021 2:51 PM

Gene, in addition, you might include that, using the numpad in "desktop
keyboared--and maybe more) pressing the read key (line, word, charactor)
one more time will spell the entire target phonetically using (I hope)
international phoenetics).
Howard

On 9/5/2021 9:30 AM, dennis huckle wrote:

> Many thanks Jean,
>
> Exactly what I wanted.
>
> Kind regards,
>
> Dennis huckle.