Topics

JAWS extend select mode in NVDA?

Akshaya Choudhary

Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key. This is especially useful with selecting sentences in word, which is otherwise not directly possible with NVDA.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Akshaya,
Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key.
Hmmm, not sure, but I'd think that it can be done using NVDA+F9 to mark the beginning of the selection and NVDA+F10 twice quickly, one to mark the end and the other to copy what you've selected.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Jackie

That is not a Jaws function. Rather, it's a function of the editor
you're working in. So, if you have Word, for example, it works there.
You'll need to check w/other programs to see if they have such
functionality. Marcio, what you're talking about is NVDA's screen
review function. It only works in that particular mode.

Akshaya,

Marcio <https://tinyurl.com/TlkTM>
AKA /Starboy/

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Salvador Domenech Miguel

Hi.
Yas. You can start the selection pressing NVDA+F9 and end it pressing NVDA+F10. If you press NVDA+F10 twice, the selection will be copied on your clypboard.

Cheers.

Salva Domenech
Comunicación, realización y soporte a usuarios
Equipo de NVDA en español
El 11/08/2019 a las 21:31, Akshaya Choudhary escribió:

Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key. This is especially useful with selecting sentences in word, which is otherwise not directly possible with NVDA.
--
Regards,
Sociohack

Gene

But what is wanted is to move by sentence.  I have a vague recollection that there is an add-on that allows movement by sentence and you might be able to select in that way but others will have to say if my memory is correct.

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] JAWS extend select mode in NVDA?

Akshaya,
Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key.
Hmmm, not sure, but I'd think that it can be done using NVDA+F9 to mark the beginning of the selection and NVDA+F10 twice quickly, one to mark the end and the other to copy what you've selected.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

No, what this person wants to know is if NVDA will detect selections if F8 is pressed from Word, moves around, and tries to see if there is text selection, and the answer is “sort of”.

The command this person is referring to is not a JAWS command – as Jackie pointed out, I can confirm that this is a Word specific command.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 2:34 PM

Akshaya,

Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key.

Hmmm, not sure, but I'd think that it can be done using NVDA+F9 to mark the beginning of the selection and NVDA+F10 twice quickly, one to mark the end and the other to copy what you've selected.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

I just checked.  From the User Guide:
Next sentence
alt+downArrow
alt+downArrow
Moves the caret to the next sentence and announces it. (only supported in Microsoft Word and Outlook)
Previous sentence
alt+upArrow
alt+upArrow
Moves the caret to the previous sentence and announces it. (only supported in Microsoft Word and Outlook)

My comment:
If holding shift allows you to move and select, this will do what is wanted but I have no idea if the command can be used in that way.  This isn't an add-on; these are commands in NVDA itself.

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 2:34 PM

Akshaya,
Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key.
Hmmm, not sure, but I'd think that it can be done using NVDA+F9 to mark the beginning of the selection and NVDA+F10 twice quickly, one to mark the end and the other to copy what you've selected.

Cheers,
Marcio AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Actually, it is more than an NVDA command: in order to move by sentences (a very different topic), the app itself must provide a way to tell screen readers that sentence navigation is possible. Outlook and Word can do this, and possibly other apps.

Cheers,

Joseph

Sent: Sunday, August 11, 2019 2:34 PM

Akshaya,

Is there something similar to JAWS's extend select mode in NVDA? In JAWS one can press F8 to start extended selection, and then can select text without using the shift key.

Hmmm, not sure, but I'd think that it can be done using NVDA+F9 to mark the beginning of the selection and NVDA+F10 twice quickly, one to mark the end and the other to copy what you've selected.

Cheers,
Marcio

AKA Starboy

Sent from a galaxy far, far away.

Ed Marquette

This is not really a JAWS extended select mode.  It is a Word function, and, you can use the same function with NVDA; the status is just not announced.
Consequently, you may press F-8 once to turn on a select mode.  Pressing a second time selects the word.  Pressing a third time selects a sentence or the end of the paragraph (whichever comes next).  Pressing a 4th time selects either the paragraph or the end of the document.  Once selected, of course, the text may be copied, cut, bolded, or whatever.  NVDA just does not announce what is being selected.  That would be a nice feature, but unlike reading capital letters by line, it is not crucial.
I often hit f-8 once,search for a particular word or series of words (or unique character), and then take action on the text selected in this manner.
=