Topics

Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: release schedule for next add-on releases in preparation for 2019.3 stable

Hi all,

NVDA 2019.3 RC (release candidate) was declared, one of the final betas that will be identical to upcoming NVDA 2019.3 stable release unless critical issues emerge. Therefore I hereby announce the schedule for add-on releases from me that are NVDA 2019.3 compatible (or requires NVDA 2019.3):

  • Add-on Updater: version 20.02 will hit the air tomorrow. This is a mandatory update for all Add-on Updater users. Feature set is identical to latest version with localization updates and makes provision to support future NVDA releases. Also, 20.02.x will be the last version to support NVDA 2019.2.1 – a March release will require support for 2019.3 and later.
  • StationPlaylist and Windows 10 App Essentials: 20.02 release for these add-ons will be made available within 48 hours after 2019.3 stable is released. These add-ons require NVDA 2019.3 to install and function, and starting from 20.02, Windows 10 App Essentials will also require Windows 10 Version 1903 (May 2019 Update/build 18362).

As for other add-ons such as Resource Monitor, no 20.02 releases for them at the moment; note that all of them require NVDA 2019.3.

Special notice for DictationBridge users: version 1.1, compatible with NVDA 2019.3, will be released by end of this week.

Related to this: if you visit community add-ons website and select any of my add-ons, you’ll see a link to download an older release supporting NVDA 2019.2.1 or earlier. These links will be removed 30 days after NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

Cheers,

Joseph

David Ingram

b keystroke insert+r which I was told is the o c r scan. But the problem is that after I think that the scan is completed, I don't hear anything. That is different when I use jaws to perform the o c r scan I would at least hear different things like the list of buttons and the list of soft synths. I would appreciate any help that you can give in this reguard.

[...]

hi joseph.
how about the people who use old versions of nvda?
you mentioned about removal of link for downloading addons which are
compatible with previous versions of nvda.
how do users of previous versions of nvda, can find and download there
favorite addons since then?
God bless you!

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

Hi,
I'll post older release download links when I remove those links from community add-ons website.
[...]

where do you post them?
is it not better that keep archive of all versions for different users?

On 2/4/20, Joseph Lee <@joslee> wrote:
[...]

Most are available from GitHub.
Cheers,
Joseph

[...]

Gene

But how will those who want to know about them know where to look?  Are you going to have a link on the add-ons page directing people to a page where older versions of add-ons compatible with older versions of NVDA can be found?  The links on that page can lead to wherever the add-ons actually are but there should be an obvious way for older users to know where to find such add-ons on the add-ons home page, such as a link to where they are listed.

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Hi,

The older version links will be posted to this mailing list. I also noted that these older version links will be up until 30 days after 2019.3 stable version is released, so at least until March 2020.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens
with all they contain
in order that
I may disobey God
by depriving an ant
from the husk of a grain of barley,
I would not do it.
imam ali

Cordelia Scharpf

I think both approaches—yours and Gene’s—would be useful, for not everybody using NVDA—old or new—is on this list.

Cordelia