Just sharing some handy use cases for the input gestures feature

Jujube

Hi everyone,

I'm mainly sending this message just to share some of my favourite ways of using the input gestures dialog since it's not super obvious I don't think. Okay this is gonna be a long post though. I know some of you are already aware of those options, but they are certainly less obvious and it certainly helps my productivity.

The input gestures dialog is usually used to remap keys either for comfort or to fix key conflicts with other applications. However, I decided to take a deep dive into what can be configured in input gestures to see what I can do. In most cases there really isn't much of a need to change NVDA's shortcuts, but I found quite a few unbound commands that I find useful and have since assigned keyboard shortcuts to them. Here's a few of my use cases.

1. I assigned some shortcuts to a few items in the document settings section of the input gestures dialog so I can quickly toggle the reporting of font attributes or alignment information without having to configure them in the document settings dialog or make a whole bunch of configuration profiles. Of course if you need to make a lot of settings tweaks for a particular application then having a configuration profile for that app is the best way to go, but sometimes just being able to press a keystroke just to toggle on or off formatting announcements is really useful.

2. I have set up manualy triggerable profiles so that I can switch between languages on the fly. Since I have separate speech and braille settings for the two languages I use, I found it really handy to make a separate configuration profile for the langauges I use and then assign a keyboard shortcut in input gestures > configuration profiles so I can switch between my two languages on the fly.

Have a great day.
[...]

Jackie

This is helpful, Jujube, some specific illustrations might make it
more so. Thanks so much for sharing this.

On 10/17/21, Jujube <ellaxyu@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

To Ella (by the way, that's "jujube's" real name): would it be possible to create some kind of a media presentation that can illustrate use cases of input gestures dialog, especially now that it has the ability to reset gestures to factory defaults?

Cheers,

Joseph

Jujube

Hi, I think that'd be a neat idea. I'm not amazing at giving presentations or teaching others or any of this so maybe I could present about this some day, who knows. I could've been more specific in post 1, but in general I find it handy to have alignment and font attributes announced when using Word but not anywhere else. Although I can create a configuration profile for it, I could also make keyboard commands in input gestures to quickly enable/disable those on the fly. I also have one specific website where I have to use layout tables but not anywhere else so I found a command and assigned a keyboard shortcut to enable and disable that on the fly. Anyway, this is just what I personally prefer to do. There's always more than one way of doing things.

Hi,