Keyboard not acting normal

Hi Group,

My keyboard has not been acting normal since yesterday.
I cannot use the arrow keys. Only the left arrow key moves.
At first the NVDA key did not work but later misteriously started to
work. I rebooted a few times hoping itcorrect itself I am having a
hard time writing this message.
Any ideas why this is happening and how to correct this?
.
will corect

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified

Can you give us more details about both the computer and the keyboard?

Laptop or desktop?

Make and model of computer?

If desktop, "standard issue" keyboard that came with it or third party?

If third-party, make and model of the keyboard?

Presuming you're running Windows 10, check Settings, Update & Security, Windows Update Pane, View Update History to see what updates may have been applied, and at the correct timeframe to have possibly triggered the issue.

      ~ Brian Vogel

David Griffith

The first suggestion is to switch from NVDA to Windows Narrator Control windows and Enter and see if the problems persist.

If it does it becomes possible that this is a hardware fault - have you had any spillages?
To confirm this you could plug in an alternative keyboard - any USB will do for diagnostics and see if you regain your arrow keys then.
This would pretty much confirm a hardware fault if it clears the problems.
If you have had a spillage then a period of drying out may help but not guaranteed.

If Narrator interacts with the keyboard without problem then a clean re-install of NVDA would hopefully remove the problem.

David Griffith

on Windows 10.

My keyboard has not been acting normal since yesterday.
I cannot use the arrow keys. Only the left arrow key moves.
At first the NVDA key did not work but later misteriously started to work. I rebooted a few times hoping itcorrect itself I am having a hard time writing this message.
Any ideas why this is happening and how to correct this?
.
will corect

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

What keyboard is it.

Could be drivers, could be windows could be anything.

Firstly clean the board.

I know some boards can get a bit sticky at times.

I ended up using a vacuum with a small attachment and doing a gentle suck over the board.

I also turned it up side down and gave it a really good shake over a desktop and vacuumming that and the issues I have had are a lot less.

As I have a skin condition where skin tends to shed a lot my board does need regular clearing of extras.

The next thing I'd check if wired is the condition of the wire, I have had broken wires before.

Also I'd check the condition of the board, while mechanicals may not have a high failure rate membranes could simply be warn out.

If this is wireless, then if it doesn't work, swapping out the power cells wouldn't go a miss.

Next depending what it is, doing a factory reset on it followed by a firmware refresh wouldn't go a miss at all if you have that capability.

On the computer side, I'd then check and update the latest drivers from the manufacturer site.

Both for the keyboard and if its on usb the usb controlers though that may need latest latest chhipset drivers though devices will generally work without those.

I can't speak for logitech but setpoint and logitech options have not had updates in a while now.

For microsoft their mouse keyboard centre doesn't update much but there are updates from time to time.

Windows update may have a generic update in optionals or simply there is a third party update for it.

Usually generic boards don't need software, firmware or drivers though.

Next, I'd run any bios and hardware firmware updates on your system in case its an input issue, note you may allready have the latest updates generally.

Next, I'd go through the standard sfc and dism checks followed by an entire reformat though if you need to do the last 3 steps then its probably worse than that.

Run a virus scan to but again you would have more issues than a board.

Most likely its the keyboard.

Start from the top and move down and down and down the list till the reformat part.

As a test, try a different board and try that board on anothr system.

If it fails then skip to the end of this list and replace the board.

On 25/05/2021 4:05 am, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Hi Group,

My keyboard has not been acting normal since yesterday.
I cannot use the arrow keys. Only the left arrow key moves.
At first the NVDA key did not work but later misteriously started to
work. I rebooted a few times hoping itcorrect itself I am having a
hard time writing this message.
Any ideas why this is happening and how to correct this?
.
will corect

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the leads.
Obviously is the keyboard, because when I attached another one to my
HP laptop all is fine.
Yesterday I had a teacup next to my laptop with very little liquid at
the bottom and having forgotten it was there I knocked it and the
liquid went to the bottom of my laptop. I dried both the bottom of the
laptop and the desk immediately but obviously some got inside the
keyboard.
Many keys did not work properly at the beginning, but later they began
acting right. Now only the arrows do not work right, but I imagine
after a while they'll start working, too when all is dry.

[...]

Jackie

When I did adaptive technology in a previous life, I always said
blindies & keyboards don't mix well. Truthfully, sighted folks &
keyboards don't mix well either.

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 02:06 PM, Nevzat Adil wrote:
Now only the arrows do not work right, but I imagine
after a while they'll start working, too when all is dry.
-
If it was plain tea you do have some hope.  If it was tea with milk and/or sugar, don't hold your breath.

Anything other than a water spill is generally "certain death" for a laptop keyboard.  And I don't say that to be "Debbie Downer" but because of long experience.  You may end up having to use an external keyboard and/or getting the keyboard replaced.

I hope you luck out.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Nevzat,

         The fact that you had a spill was your most likely answer to begin with.

          This was a vital piece of diagnostic information that should not have been omitted.  All the other speculation likely would not have occurred had this been mentioned.

      ~ Brian Vogel

It was after someone mentioned spillage that it occurred to me it
could be the culprit.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nevzat,

The fact that you had a spill was your most likely answer to begin with.

This was a vital piece of diagnostic information that should not have been
omitted.  All the other speculation likely would not have occurred had this
been mentioned.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

--
Nevzat Adil
Library of Congress Certified
Literary Braille Proofreader
C: 512 502 4403
e-mail: nevzatadil@gmail.com

Hi jacky.

Yeah, I agree, drinking and eating near the board, I never do it.

You can knock things over so easily.

Sightlings do it to.

I still don't know how some of my family can read the screen of their tablet, work on their computer, drink coffee and eat musly all while talking on the phone to someone down the other end of the house I certainly can't see my self doing it.

I have tried to do it and made a mess of myself so no.

I have to many things about on my system to actually think about eating near it.

Now eating near your smart device with it a certain distance away maybe but the board, yeah its a problem.

While flatting in fact thhe system had a lot of issues, people used cd drives as cup hholders, there was food inside of the computer and so I can't be that bad.

However for a while my brother ate dinner and all meals ner the computer and I never had the issue of him spilling food though he left his rubbish for weeks on end but yeah, I'd never do it.

Just today I was resetting the entire network and I have probably knocked something off the desk, maybe its a phone but I can't find it, its not a big issue someone else can bother with it later but even so.

On 25/05/2021 6:24 am, Jackie wrote:
[...]

No problem.

On the subject with your board if its an internal board, if you are under warrenty then I'd get it fixed.

If not, and you don't absolutely need to use the board I'd just get a couple cheap boards and run it.

If you want flexability the mk 200-400 series wireless logitech or any ms board will do or genius to be honest.

If you need to replace a board then your system will be away for a while getting fixed, the place will charge the cost of the hardware, and the time and other things.

I had this with anothher older laptop, 300 bucks later and 3 weeks I got it back.

The board cost me about 50 bucks, the repairs and extra mark up cost the rest.

Be happy nothing else was dammaged though.

If you know someone that can fix it for you, you can do as my uncle did with a system he has had for the last few years and gone to ebay/ whatever other oction site you use and got a laptop that had been involved in an accident and was being sold off in bits.

It then may only cost the part and delivery, but you will need someone to fit it of course.

On 25/05/2021 7:12 am, Nevzat Adil wrote:
It was after someone mentioned spillage that it occurred to me it
could be the culprit.
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Nevzat,

The fact that you had a spill was your most likely answer to begin with.

This was a vital piece of diagnostic information that should not have been
omitted.  All the other speculation likely would not have occurred had this
been mentioned.

I do not understand why some seek to separate a person from their actions.
The self is composed of an individual’s thoughts, actions, and expression,
which are contained in and actuated by the body.  What you do and say is the
clearest indicator of who you are.

~ Brian Vogel

On Mon, May 24, 2021 at 06:50 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
Sightlings do it to.
-
You have no idea how often, either!

One thing those of us who are old-timey techs used to suggest, and still do, for external keyboards is either running them through a rinse-only cycle in the dishwasher or spray it down as promptly as possible with a sink sprayer or handheld shower.

Wetness is not really a problem, in most cases, provided you don't try to reconnect the device while it is still wet.  Make sure it's absolutely dry before you try it out again, which generally means at least 24-48 hours drying, preferably in a warm place with good air circulation.   Most things that get spilled into a keyboard are very easy to wash away provided they have not been allowed to dry/congeal before you do so.  But once sugars, fats, etc., thicken up or dry in the tiny cracks and crevices of the keys and contacts themselves, it's almost certain you'll never get it all cleaned out sufficiently.

When people say, "But you can't do that!!," my answer is, "What do you have to lose?"  If you don't try it, you can be virtually certain that your keyboard will be toast.  And heaven forbid it's a substantial fluid spill in to a laptop.  That is generally a death sentence.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Gene

I think that there are certain things that, no matter how careful you are, even a very small chance of something going wrong isn’t worth the pleasure.

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 5:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Keyboard not acting normal

> [...]

>>> generally.
>>>
>>> Next, I'd go through the standard sfc and dism checks followed by an
>>> entire reformat though if you need to do the last 3 steps then its
>>> probably worse than that.
>>>
>>> Run a virus scan to but again you would have more issues than a board.
>>>
>>> Most likely its the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Start from the top and move down and down and down the list till the
>>> reformat part.
>>>
>>> As a test, try a different board and try that board on anothr system.
>>>
>>> If it fails then skip to the end of this list and replace the board.

>> --
>> Nevzat Adil
>> Library of Congress Certified
>> Literary Braille Proofreader
>> C: 512 502 4403
>> e-mail: nevzatadil@...
>> Facebook: m.facebook.com/LiteraryBrailleProofreader

JM Casey

I have certainly do it,a nd regularly have a drink by the keyboard

But I have also have accidents – shorted out at least two keyboards. And eventually one way or another they will get gunk in them that will affect their function. Keys not working or appearing to “stick” are the symptoms you will usuallye xperience – sometimes multiple keys at once.

Sent: Monday, May 24, 2021 5:50 PM

> [...]

>>> generally.
>>>
>>> Next, I'd go through the standard sfc and dism checks followed by an
>>> entire reformat though if you need to do the last 3 steps then its
>>> probably worse than that.
>>>
>>> Run a virus scan to but again you would have more issues than a board.
>>>
>>> Most likely its the keyboard.
>>>
>>> Start from the top and move down and down and down the list till the
>>> reformat part.
>>>
>>> As a test, try a different board and try that board on anothr system.
>>>
>>> If it fails then skip to the end of this list and replace the board.

>> --
>> Nevzat Adil
>> Library of Congress Certified
>> Literary Braille Proofreader
>> C: 512 502 4403
>> e-mail: nevzatadil@...
>> Facebook: m.facebook.com/LiteraryBrailleProofreader

Louise Pfau

Do those cans of compressed air work for cleaning keyboards?  If so, how do you do that when you’re blind?

Louise

On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 03:08 PM, Louise Pfau wrote:
Do those cans of compressed air work for cleaning keyboards?
-
For dust and loose or semi-loose crud they do.  I've often had keyboards with not a sticky key, but a key where a crumb or other hard grain-of-sand-sided object got lodged beneath making strike activation of that key wonky.

As to how to do it, so long as you keep your fingers away from the end of the straw (as the air is very cold and can cause freezing) you would just run the straw along each row of keys while spraying.

This is not a precise process even if you can see what you're doing.  You just try to keep the straw tip such that it's touching the side edge of the key and is angled downward to get maximum force of air flowing under the key itself.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Sarah k Alawami

Nope not at all. A friend of mine spilled a whole liter of coke when they got startled right into their computer. Ok, that sentence was not structured right, but let's just say, that computer never worked again. I spilled a cup of Gatorade once onto a laptop. It died 2 years later.