keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes


Daniel McGee
 

Hello all


With nvda, is it possible to copy and paste dialog boxes content? If so, I would greatly appreciate learning this.


The objective being, to copy and paste an error message to do with nvda which I will detail in a new message.


Thanking you in advance.


Daniel


Gene
 

You can, buut do you know the review keys using the numpad in the desktop layout or the equivalent when in laptop layout?  At this point, I don’t know how much or just what explanation would be necessary.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 12:47 PM
Subject: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Hello all


With nvda, is it possible to copy and paste dialog boxes content? If so,
I would greatly appreciate learning this.


The objective being, to copy and paste an error message to do with nvda
which I will detail in a new message.


Thanking you in advance.


Daniel






Daniel McGee
 

Alas, I don't know of this mode. How does it work and what are the laptop keystrokes? As I'm on a laptop here. 

On 19 Nov 2021, at 19:35, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:


You can, buut do you know the review keys using the numpad in the desktop layout or the equivalent when in laptop layout?  At this point, I don’t know how much or just what explanation would be necessary.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 12:47 PM
Subject: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Hello all


With nvda, is it possible to copy and paste dialog boxes content? If so,
I would greatly appreciate learning this.


The objective being, to copy and paste an error message to do with nvda
which I will detail in a new message.


Thanking you in advance.


Daniel






Gene
 

I don’t use the laptop layout so I’ll let others discuss that. 
 
There is an add-on which may let you do what you want.  You can read about it here. 
but it still is a good idea and, at times necessary, to know the actual review commands in NVDA itself. 
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 1:40 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Alas, I don't know of this mode. How does it work and what are the laptop keystrokes? As I'm on a laptop here.

On 19 Nov 2021, at 19:35, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:


You can, buut do you know the review keys using the numpad in the desktop layout or the equivalent when in laptop layout?  At this point, I don’t know how much or just what explanation would be necessary.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 12:47 PM
Subject: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Hello all


With nvda, is it possible to copy and paste dialog boxes content? If so,
I would greatly appreciate learning this.


The objective being, to copy and paste an error message to do with nvda
which I will detail in a new message.


Thanking you in advance.


Daniel






 

Just to get up on my recent soapbox in several venues, it cannot (and I'd say should not) be presumed that any random laptop user is actually using laptop keyboard layout.

NVDA uses desktop layout by default on any laptop on which I've installed it and the majority of laptops have been sporting a full-size desktop type keyboard for some time now.

Laptops with classic laptop keyboard layout are the exception, not the rule.

Keyboard layout depends on the keyboard itself, not the thing it's connected to or built into.

One can use laptop layout with a full-size keyboard, but not vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Gene
 

And I think it’s worth noting that using caps lock as an NVDA key is off by default in both layouts and that it is very useful in the desktop layout if you turn it on there.  It isn’t just intended for use in the laptop layout. 
 
I use the desktop layout and I find execution of a number of NVDA commands much more convenient using the caps lock.
 
Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Just to get up on my recent soapbox in several venues, it cannot (and I'd say should not) be presumed that any random laptop user is actually using laptop keyboard layout.

NVDA uses desktop layout by default on any laptop on which I've installed it and the majority of laptops have been sporting a full-size desktop type keyboard for some time now.

Laptops with classic laptop keyboard layout are the exception, not the rule.

Keyboard layout depends on the keyboard itself, not the thing it's connected to or built into.

One can use laptop layout with a full-size keyboard, but not vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 


Quentin Christensen
 

Getting back to the original question,

For a lot of dialog boxes such as error messages, you can actually copy them just by pressing control+c.

I think it was an update to Windows a couple years back added that but I can't recall.

I just opened notepad, typed a couple of characters and pressed alt+f4.  When it asked me what I wanted to do, I pressed control+c and here's what I got:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]



On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:38 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
And I think it’s worth noting that using caps lock as an NVDA key is off by default in both layouts and that it is very useful in the desktop layout if you turn it on there.  It isn’t just intended for use in the laptop layout. 
 
I use the desktop layout and I find execution of a number of NVDA commands much more convenient using the caps lock.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Just to get up on my recent soapbox in several venues, it cannot (and I'd say should not) be presumed that any random laptop user is actually using laptop keyboard layout.

NVDA uses desktop layout by default on any laptop on which I've installed it and the majority of laptops have been sporting a full-size desktop type keyboard for some time now.

Laptops with classic laptop keyboard layout are the exception, not the rule.

Keyboard layout depends on the keyboard itself, not the thing it's connected to or built into.

One can use laptop layout with a full-size keyboard, but not vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager


Daniel McGee
 

Thank you all very much for helping me with this query. I'm going to have to do some studying to learn about object navigation but for now,

Gene and Quentin have saved the day.


Unfortunately, the add-on wasn't able to capture the error message. However, the windows keystroke did. I wasn't aware of this new addition added to windows. Neat little feature Microsoft and for Quentin for bringing it to my attention.


Kind regards


Daniel

On 22/11/2021 06:17, Quentin Christensen wrote:
Getting back to the original question,

For a lot of dialog boxes such as error messages, you can actually copy them just by pressing control+c.

I think it was an update to Windows a couple years back added that but I can't recall.

I just opened notepad, typed a couple of characters and pressed alt+f4.  When it asked me what I wanted to do, I pressed control+c and here's what I got:

[Window Title]
Notepad

[Main Instruction]
Do you want to save changes to Untitled?

[Save] [Don't Save] [Cancel]



On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 8:38 AM Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
And I think it’s worth noting that using caps lock as an NVDA key is off by default in both layouts and that it is very useful in the desktop layout if you turn it on there.  It isn’t just intended for use in the laptop layout. 
 
I use the desktop layout and I find execution of a number of NVDA commands much more convenient using the caps lock.
 
Gene
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, November 19, 2021 3:33 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] keystroke for copy and pasting dialog boxes
 
Just to get up on my recent soapbox in several venues, it cannot (and I'd say should not) be presumed that any random laptop user is actually using laptop keyboard layout.

NVDA uses desktop layout by default on any laptop on which I've installed it and the majority of laptops have been sporting a full-size desktop type keyboard for some time now.

Laptops with classic laptop keyboard layout are the exception, not the rule.

Keyboard layout depends on the keyboard itself, not the thing it's connected to or built into.

One can use laptop layout with a full-size keyboard, but not vice versa.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

 



--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager