Keystroke for Reading Individual Letters

David Kingsbury

Hi all,

I know you can press Insert and 5 twice on the num pad to hear words spelled out. What is the equivalent for somebody who does not have a num pad?

Thanks,

David

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías

Hello, NVDA + shift + o with the keyboard layout laptop.
Regards.

--

Carlos Esteban Martínez Macías.

Soporte a usuarios, Comunidad de NVDA en español.

Web: https://nvda.es

Experto certificado en NVDANVDA Certified Expert 2019

--

Músico (pianista) y ayuda a usuarios ciegos y con discapacidad visual en el uso de lectores de pantalla y tecnología. Experto certificado en el lector de pantalla NVDA.

Musician (pianist) and help to the blind people and with visual disability in use of screen readers and technology. Certified expert in the screen reader NVDA.

Even though this has been answered, I'm putting up the following as an example of how to find this very quickly in the NVDA Commands Quick Reference:

1. Bring up the NVDA Commands Quick Reference:  NVDA + N, H, Q  [NVDA Menu, Help, Commands Quick Reference] which will open in your default browser.

2. Search the page on "NVDA+numpad5," the keystroke you already know.  In the Commands Quick Reference the commands are consistently formatted with no spaces between each of the keys and plus signs.  it also consistently uses lowercase "numpad" with the digit stuck right after the 'd' in numpad for those digits.  This was a smart formatting move as it prevents you from ever getting any other key combination when everything is one long string for the search.

3. Look at the column to the right of where you landed, if you're trying to find the laptop layout for a desktop command, or to the left if you're looking for a desktop layout for a laptop command.  If you so happen to be looking for the touch equivalent, it's two columns to the right of desktop and one to the right of laptop commands.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

hurrikennyandopo ...

Hi David

The following might help from the user manual. I knew I had seen it some where about if you did not have a numeric keypad on your pc.

Note the part with the function key.

The lower the grid is on the main keyboard should be the characters previous, the letter you are on and the next.

Not sure how it is done but 7 could be previous line, 8 is current and 9 is next.

u could be previous word, I could be current word, and O could be next word,

j could be previous character, kcould be current character and l could be next.

Best bet have a play while holding down the function key. I used to have a netbook like that.

Gene nz

4.2.2. Keyboard Layouts
NVDA currently comes with two sets of key commands (known as keyboard layouts): the desktop layout and the laptop layout. By default, NVDA is set to use the Desktop layout, though you can switch to the Laptop layout in the Keyboard category of the NVDA Settings dialog, found under Preferences in the NVDA menu.
The Desktop layout makes heavy use of the numpad (with Num Lock off). Although most laptops do not have a physical numpad, some laptops can emulate one by holding down the FN key and pressing letters and numbers on the right-hand side of the keyboard (7, 8, 9, u, i, o, j, k, l, etc.). If your laptop cannot do this or does not allow you to turn Num Lock off, you may want to switch to the Laptop layout instead.

On Wed, Jan 19, 2022 at 02:49 PM, hurrikennyandopo ... wrote:
Although most laptops do not have a physical numpad
-
It's funny, but if ever a piece of documentation needed to be updated, this little snippet would be it.  I haven't seen a 15-inch or larger laptop not come with a full-sized keyboard including a number pad in some time.  And those are the units that predominate the market, whether consumer grade or business class.

Netbooks are a different thing, but they're also not designed for use for too terribly much beyond using internet functions like email and web browsing.

       ~ Konrad Lorenz (1903-1989)

Laurie Mehta

Fwiw - This Lenovo laptop has no num pad.

I always prefer a laptop with the smaller screen because it weighs less and takes up less space and I cannot see the screen anyway.

  • Laurie