Topics

LAMBDA 1.3.0 #addonrelease

Iván Novegil

Hello all.

LAMBDA add-on 1.3.0 has just been released. It is now powered by Python 3, keeping backwards compatibility. The release of NVDA 2019.3 makes it urgent to reduce the testing period and to release this version as stable, although community guidelines. This doesn't means that it hasn't been tested, as they were, at least, two testers (Alberto and me). Of course, despite being a stable version, issues can be reported as usual.

Changes:

  • Support for newer version of NVDA (Support for Python 3)
  • Solved an issue while pressing duplicate line command NVDA+d in a blank line caused clipboard content to be pasted. Now when you press NVDA+d and you are in a blank line, a new blank line appears as expected.

Download it from:

https://github.com/lambda-nvda/lambdaNvda/releases/download/1.3.0/lambda-1.3.0.nvda-addon

This version is possible thanks to the work of Alberto Zanella, main mantainer, and all the community translators. With regard to this, we welcome in this version some new languages and updated documentation for some of those which were already added.

Reviewers, please update addonFiles (our permissions were revoked by the migration), and our nvdaaddons repo, or let me know the transitory process to do that by myself. All the code is at https://github.com/lambda-nvda/lambdaNvda

Regards.

--

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor

- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

I would encourage those making these sorts of announcements to dedicate a paragraph or two to the actual purpose of the Add-On being discussed.

There is a constant churn of members here, and even those who have been around a long time may not be aware of Add-Ons that do not appear on the NVDA Official Add-Ons Page or even have any real awareness of the purpose of a number of them that do.  The Lambda Add-On Page under the official page is one that is particularly well-documented, but there are lots of add-ons that have virtually nothing noting what they're all about, how to use them, etc.

It never hurts to give a synopsis regarding the purpose of a given Add-On.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

The thing is, not many add-on authors are members of users list. I can request such info from add-on authors when releasing stable versions (as an admin-level recommendation, as I’m the admin of NVDA add-ons list).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 12:36 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
The thing is, not many add-on authors are members of users list.
In this case I was referring to those that are and who might make an announcement here, but you bring up a very important point.

I have been disappointed, sorely disappointed, at how little documentation of any sort is available for a great many of the add-ons on both the official and under development pages.  I truly cannot fathom why anyone would dedicate the time and effort, which is substantial, to creating a tool for use with NVDA and then never give a public statement regarding what that tool actually does and how to use it, particularly on the page from which it is downloaded.

There are constantly people arriving who are new to NVDA.  I'm certainly not new to NVDA anymore, but I still have no idea of what a number of the add-ons do.  Whether I use them or not, that information should be front and center on the page where the add-on is obtained.  To my mind, it shouldn't even go up on such a page without documentation.

       ~ Madonna

Hi,

As part of basic review for add-ons, we the add-ons community look for documentation and ways to improve an add-on’s readme. For the most part, documentation for many add-ons provide essential information, although we must remember that not all authors are well versed in English idioms (I am known for writing good documentation, although I have to constantly remind myself that, as a non-native English speaker, I need to cater to folks like me and also find ways to improve my own add-ons’ docs).

Cheers,

Joseph

On Sun, Feb 16, 2020 at 01:01 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
we must remember that not all authors are well versed in English idioms
Which is, at its heart, utterly beside the point.  I don't expect anyone to write documentation in a language they don't speak, just the one they do.  From all appearances there exists a cadre of folks who already volunteer time to do translations, and if I'm mistaken about that then such really should be cultivated.

I am entirely monolingual, and I can appreciate what it is to be monolingual no matter what your native language happens to be.  But if you write what's needed in that language, it can certainly be translated into however many others are needed where those who speak both languages can be found.

Even "just OK, but not absolutely perfect" translation from one language into another is preferable to a complete dearth of information.  If the only documentation for a given add-on were to be presented in other than English (in my case) I'd happily use Google Translate or Worldlingo translator to extract the major gist.  It wouldn't be the first time I've had to go that route, and it certainly won't be the last.

       ~ Madonna

Mallard

Hello,

Is this add-on for the Lambda maths programme from Italy?

Justa sking, because I might be interested in that software for a dear friend of mine.

thanks for any help you can provide.

Ciao,

Ollie

On 16/02/2020 16:41, Iván Novegil via Groups.Io wrote:

[...]

@inovegil <mailto:@inovegil>
Experto certificado en NVDA <https://certification.nvaccess.org>

NVDA.es Logo
- www.NVDA.es <https://nvda.es>
- @nvda_es <https://twitter.com/nvda_es>

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

Iván Novegil

Yes it is.

https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/lambda

Feel free to ask privately or through the LAMBDA-NVDA mailing list (see the documentation linked above) any question you have.

Regards.

Iván Novegil Cancelas
Editor
ivan.novegil@...

- www.NVDA.es
- @nvda_es

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

O 16/02/2020 á(s) 21:34, Mallard escribiu:

ivan.novegil@... <mailto:ivan.novegil@...>
Experto certificado en NVDA <https://certification.nvaccess.org>

NVDA.es Logo
- www.NVDA.es <https://nvda.es>
- @nvda_es <https://twitter.com/nvda_es>

Usuario do NVDA en galego

***Esta mensaxe e/ou os seus adxuntos están dirixidos ao seu destinatario e poden conter información privilexiada ou confidencial. A utilización, copia ou divulgación dos mesmos por parte de alguén diferente do destinatario mencionado non están permitidas sen autorización. Se recibiu esta mensaxe por erro pregámoslle o comunique por esta mesma vía e a destrúa.***

Mallard

Many thanks. I'll contact you privately tomorrow.  Ciao,  Ollie

Sent from BlueMail

On 16 Feb 2020, at 23:41, "Iván Novegil via Groups.Io" <nvda.es@groups.io target=_blank>ivan.novegil=nvda.es@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Dave Grossoehme

Good Afternoon Joseph:  Is it possible that someone needs to look over an add on as far as documentation before it goes on the list?  If the person doesn't write in good enough English, to be understood, this person could help out.

Dave