Topics

Latest Skype and screen readers

Inam Uddin

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Richard Kuzma

I don’t use skype here, but am on a tech team group.

They were talking about skype last evening.

try pressing the alt key to get to the menu and then pressing escape and see if that helps.

They think it is a focus issue.

Try alt tabbing away from skype and then alt tab back and see if that does anything.

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

Hello. See the skype english list. The jaws scripts have ben fixed. This is a problem with teams as well, and that was already fixed . That will be fixed hopefully in a skype update soon.

On 12 Aug 2020, at 17:18, Inam Uddin via groups.io wrote:

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Socheat Muth

Hi,

You can press alt, to open the file menu, and press escape to exit out from the menu, it should focus properly again.

Hope I helped.

On 8/13/2020 7:18 AM, Inam Uddin via groups.io wrote:

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

hello.
did you try skype 8.62 or 8.61?
were they accessible for screen readers?

--
By God,
were I given all the seven heavens

CARLOS-ESTEBAN

Skype is very accessible with screen reader. Is a web application, so, NVDA use the browse mode.

Regards.

                                                                                           Enviado desde Correo para Windows 10

On 8/13/20, Inam Uddin via groups.io <charlsdarwin1969@...> wrote:

> Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest

> NVDA I cannot use Skype.

> The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

> As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

> With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator

> it is working fine.

> Please do something it is a serious issue!

> With regards from Inamuddin with the Skype ID:

> Charlsdarwin1

>                                 Sent from Mail for Windows 10

--

By God,

were I given all the seven heavens

with all they contain

in order that

I may disobey God

by depriving an ant

from the husk of a grain of barley,

I would not do it.

imam ali

thanks for your hopeful answer and God bless you!

wrote:

[...]

inamuddinInam Uddin

I’m very sorry to let you know that I wrote this email on 08/12/2020 and today is 09/19/2020 but Skype has not fixed it yet.

Unfortunately The fixed JAWS script for Skype is not working to my machine too!

Charlsdarwin1

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello. See the skype english list. The jaws scripts have ben fixed. This is a problem with teams as well, and that was already fixed . That will be fixed hopefully in a skype update soon.

On 12 Aug 2020, at 17:18, Inam Uddin via groups.io wrote:

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Arlene

Heavens! Has skype become more and more less accessible?  I don’t use it anymore. I’ve used it with win 7 a little with an earlier version of NVDA.  I haven’t used it since 2015.  I don’t think I want to use it anymore.  I use facetime on the Ipad instead.  No more skype for this grey duck! Lol.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hello. See the skype english list. The jaws scripts have ben fixed. This is a problem with teams as well, and that was already fixed . That will be fixed hopefully in a skype update soon.

On 12 Aug 2020, at 17:18, Inam Uddin via groups.io wrote:

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Sarah k Alawami

Actually skype is fine under windows. they fixed the issue that had ben effecting skype and teams as of late. If you join the skype english list which you can find on groups.io you can discuss it there.

On 18 Sep 2020, at 20:28, Arlene wrote:

[...]

Chris Mullins

Hi

I’m using Skype 8.64 with NVDA.  When Skype first opens, it just announces “Skype” but all I do is press the alt key to open the menu bar, go to the view menu and arrow down to “toggle full screen” and press enter.

Cheers

Chris

Hello. See the skype english list. The jaws scripts have ben fixed. This is a problem with teams as well, and that was already fixed . That will be fixed hopefully in a skype update soon.

On 12 Aug 2020, at 17:18, Inam Uddin via groups.io wrote:

Respected friends, today I’m very sorry to let you know that with the latest NVDA I cannot use Skype.

The matter of fact is that I’m using Skype 8.63.

As I go to desktop and focus to Skype, it says nothing other than Skype.

With JAWS it is continuously saying Chrome Legacy Windows, but with narrator it is working fine.

Please do something it is a serious issue!

Charlsdarwin1

                                Sent from Mail for Windows 10

JM Casey

Never really had accessibility problems with skype, but for a long time I wasn’t able to use it as my stuff was so old. You should use the so-called Skype Electron aka Skype for Desktop.

[...]

Ben J. Bloomgren

I would also recommend that one download the program off the web site rather than using the one in the Microsoft store. I’m not sure why, but that one is quite limited.

Ben