Less Verbosity In Task Manager?

Chris Smart

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Gene

I don't have Windows 11 and I don't know if this has changed.  In Windows 10, you won't see all the same things but you can get to a list of processes that is similar to the list in Windows 7 in the Task Manager.  Once you open it, use the command control tab many times to get to a part of the dialog called details.
I believe you have to tab once to get to the list.

In Windows 10, you shouldn't hear excessive verbosity and you can move through the list in the same way as in Windows 7.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 10:31 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Smart

Hi. Thanks for this. I active the “fewer details” button, and still hear:

List of items data grid, list of items of items, Process: Microsoft Outlook.

This is in windows 10 by the way. I probably forgot to include that detail.

I don't have Windows 11 and I don't know if this has changed.  In Windows 10, you won't see all the same things but you can get to a list of processes that is similar to the list in Windows 7 in the Task Manager.  Once you open it, use the command control tab many times to get to a part of the dialog called details.
I believe you have to tab once to get to the list.

In Windows 10, you shouldn't hear excessive verbosity and you can move through the list in the same way as in Windows 7.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 10:31 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Gene

I don't know why, if you are in the details view, you hear those things.  Do you know what you are looking for and its name in the list?  If you type the first letter or the first two or three letters if there are many items with the same first and second letters, you will move immediately to the item if there is only one.  In other words, if you type mai for example and there is just one item called mail, you will move to it.  I don't know if there is something called mail in the list but that is an example.  The more letters you type if there is something that has many of the same first letters as others, the more likely you are to be on the item.  So even with a lot of verbosity, it will be much faster than up and down arrowing  or just typing the first letter repeatedly.

I didn't change the details because what you are hearing has nothing to do with the details shown.  You are hearing announcements about the interface, that the item is in a grouping, for example.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 11:03 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

Hi. Thanks for this. I active the “fewer details” button, and still hear:

List of items data grid, list of items of items, Process: Microsoft Outlook.

This is in windows 10 by the way. I probably forgot to include that detail.

I don't have Windows 11 and I don't know if this has changed.  In Windows 10, you won't see all the same things but you can get to a list of processes that is similar to the list in Windows 7 in the Task Manager.  Once you open it, use the command control tab many times to get to a part of the dialog called details.
I believe you have to tab once to get to the list.

In Windows 10, you shouldn't hear excessive verbosity and you can move through the list in the same way as in Windows 7.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 10:31 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Smart

Yes, I know about typing the partial name of what I am looking for.

I don't have Windows 11 and I don't know if this has changed.  In Windows 10, you won't see all the same things but you can get to a list of processes that is similar to the list in Windows 7 in the Task Manager.  Once you open it, use the command control tab many times to get to a part of the dialog called details.
I believe you have to tab once to get to the list.

In Windows 10, you shouldn't hear excessive verbosity and you can move through the list in the same way as in Windows 7.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 10:31 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Jason Bratcher

NVDA Announcements for things like "grouping" CanNot be Turned off.
If the interface actually has a list called "list of items:"
you'll hear that exactly as soon as you Tab to/AltKey the control's command.
"Fewer/More Details" changes what is shown in the interface,
and Even what NVDA May speak.

Jason Bratcher

Gene

Here is more information about how to eliminate almost all excess verbosity in Task Manager.

I didn't try this until now, I was looking at differences in different parts of the Task Manager interface and I thought of trying this.  As in some other instances, you can either eliminate or almost eliminate excessive verbosity by using the read current line command for object or screen review mode.  You can use the read current line command that is not the object navigation command as well.  In the desktop layout it is NVDA key up arrow.  The object navigation desktop command is numpad 8.

I down arrowed through items in the Task Manager and when I moved to a new item, I issued the object navigation read current line command.

I prefer that command.  I prefer down arrowing with the left hand in the list and pressing f8 with the right.

It is important to keep this method in mind.  I can eliminate excess verbosity using find in browse mode by issuing the read current line command as soon as I start to hear speech.
I can prevent the subject line being read in e-mail messages one or multiple times, depending on the program, if I use read current line after opening a message.  You may have to experiment to see how long to wait.

Other people may find other instances where this command is very useful.  As I've said before, screen-readers operate in complex environments and at times, to get good results, you have to help them a bit.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 11:39 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

Yes, I know about typing the partial name of what I am looking for.

I don't have Windows 11 and I don't know if this has changed.  In Windows 10, you won't see all the same things but you can get to a list of processes that is similar to the list in Windows 7 in the Task Manager.  Once you open it, use the command control tab many times to get to a part of the dialog called details.
I believe you have to tab once to get to the list.

In Windows 10, you shouldn't hear excessive verbosity and you can move through the list in the same way as in Windows 7.

Gene

On 7/1/2022 10:31 AM, Chris Smart wrote:

I find Task  Manager to be very verbose, at least when navigating the list of processes to disable something.

Here’s an example of what I hear, after I arrow to Microsoft Outlook in the list.

List of items  list

Apps  grouping

Process: Microsoft Outlook

I’ve explored document options in NVDA Settings, and can’t seem to reduce this much.

Am I missing something simple and obvious?

Thanks

Chris

Chris Smart

Thanks for this Gene. That works well here.