Topics

Limit to number of messages in groups.io E-mail threads

Louise Pfau

Hi.  I noticed there was a reference to the "Admin's notes" thread having more than 200 messages, but I didn't have that many in my E-mail client.  Does groups.io limit the number of messages in a thread when it is sent to third-party E-mail clients?  I know this isn't directly related to NVDA, but this is the first group where I've seen the phenomenon.

Thanks,

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

No, I don't think they are limited. It is up to the mod to lock after a certain number of messages. I think in my case I have all of my threads on all lists I run set to unlimited, and they can get quite large. I'm ok with that as I just ignore the ones I don't want to read.

On 24 Jan 2021, at 11:03, Louise Pfau wrote:

Hi.  I noticed there was a reference to the "Admin's notes" thread having more than 200 messages, but I didn't have that many in my E-mail client.  Does groups.io limit the number of messages in a thread when it is sent to third-party E-mail clients?  I know this isn't directly related to NVDA, but this is the first group where I've seen the phenomenon.

Thanks,

Louise

Bob Cavanaugh

I don't know why, but Gmail seems to do weird things with threads
sometimes. I remember before I unfollowed that topic, I had several
versions of it in my inbox. I don't know why it wasn't murged into one
big thread, but it wasn't. This seems to happen quite a bit with list
threads.

On 1/24/21, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi. I noticed there was a reference to the "Admin's notes" thread having
more than 200 messages, but I didn't have that many in my E-mail client.
Does groups.io limit the number of messages in a thread when it is sent to
third-party E-mail clients? I know this isn't directly related to NVDA, but
this is the first group where I've seen the phenomenon.

Thanks,

Louise

Arlene

Hi, Same here. I had to go directly to the Gmail site and get rid of the huge thread List admin thread. I had to go to Delete forever after I deleted it from my windows ten mail client.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

On 1/24/21, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> wrote:

> Hi.  I noticed there was a reference to the "Admin's notes" thread having

> more than 200 messages, but I didn't have that many in my E-mail client.

> Does groups.io limit the number of messages in a thread when it is sent to

> third-party E-mail clients?  I know this isn't directly related to NVDA, but

> this is the first group where I've seen the phenomenon.

> Thanks,

> Louise

JM Casey

You could try direct sound API – it has limitations but probably wouldn’t affect you and many older applications (including stuff like winamp) still use it.

As an experiment, you could try turning off JAWS and see if you still get an error when trying to record. Wasapi-enabled applications are supposed to be able to take exclusive control of the sound device, though I don’t see any options in GW for doing this and it’s been a while since I played with such things. Obviously, to have speech going through the same device while using Goldwave, this isn’t something that you want.

Hi, Same here. I had to go directly to the Gmail site and get rid of the huge thread List admin thread. I had to go to Delete forever after I deleted it from my windows ten mail client.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

I don't know why, but Gmail seems to do weird things with threads

sometimes. I remember before I unfollowed that topic, I had several

versions of it in my inbox. I don't know why it wasn't murged into one

big thread, but it wasn't. This seems to happen quite a bit with list

threads.

On 1/24/21, Louise Pfau <louise.pfau@...> wrote:

> Hi.  I noticed there was a reference to the "Admin's notes" thread having

> more than 200 messages, but I didn't have that many in my E-mail client.

> Does groups.io limit the number of messages in a thread when it is sent to

> third-party E-mail clients?  I know this isn't directly related to NVDA, but

> this is the first group where I've seen the phenomenon.

> Thanks,

> Louise

On Sun, Jan 24, 2021 at 02:52 PM, Bob Cavanaugh wrote:
I had several versions of it in my inbox. I don't know why it wasn't muerged into one big thread, but it wasn't.
-
It was, in the archive, but that's the only place that a topic that's been split, whether accidentally or intentionally, can be merged back together.

All it takes is the person sending a reply making a single character change in the subject of the message, or correcting a spelling or capitalization, or similar, for a single topic to be split into two as far as e-mail clients are concerned.  And those who reply to the original topic will show up on that topic, and those who reply to any message in a revised subject topic will end up on that one.

There is no way for any list administrator to fix that, as e-mail threading itself is what causes that split.

That is why I have, on multiple groups, asked people to avoid changing subject lines.  And on those occasions where I need to re-title a topic so that future archive searchers are likely to find it, I always send out a message with the revised title and ask all who wish to respond from that point forward to use that message, or one that is a direct response to it, as the thing to reply to, not the original.

I spend a lot of time merging topics split by members, whether by intent or by accident.  But I can only make them come together again in the archive, not in email clients.  And if a member takes a topic that you've muted or unfollowed, and changes the subject line, it will appear again because it is considered a new topic, both by e-mail clients and groups.io.

       ~ Brian Vogel

Bob Cavanaugh

Yes, all that is true, but I noticed that even with some messages with
the same subject line threading doesn't always work the way I would
expect it to. I think this happens most often when someone does not
reply to the most recent message, but an older one. Another recent
example is my Bluetooth thread from a month or so ago, which got split
in two by Gmail.

[...]

The depths of denial one can be pushed to by outside forces of disapproval
can make you not even recognize yourself to yourself.

~ Brian Vogel