Topics

Links on websites with submenus and/or links that NVDA can't interact with

Joshua Tubbs

Hi all,

I just visited the following website:

http://canadianxpress.ca/

I notice that when going there, there is a number sign at the end of
the address. There are multiple websites I've found like this, and
each time I've encountered issues.
On this particular site I believe the main links open up drop downs
with additional links underneath the main one. Is there a way, whether
via addons or other, to make this and other sites like this usable,
short of contacting the webmaster who may or may not change the links
to make them clickable? Jaws simply announces the links as mouse
overs, but has the same result as NVDA. I've come across sites where
to hover over content, you can simply activate object navigation and
route the mouse cursor to the link in question and more information
will be present. Not with this one, however...

Any help would be appreciated. Tried switching browsers as well.

Gene

We’ll see what other people say.  I checked with Chrome and I have JAVA script off.  There was no number sign and the home page could be read as a typical web page.

What browser are you using?

Sent: Wednesday, November 06, 2019 2:57 PM
Subject: [nvda] Links on websites with submenus and/or links that NVDA can't interact with

[...]

Sascha Cowley

This is a problem I've encountered before, and I just checked to make sure my usual solution works, which it does. If you focus the link you want and "move mouse to navigator object" and then move the mouse a tiny bit the submenus are shown.

On 7/11/2019 07:57, Joshua Tubbs wrote:
[...]

Cohn, Jonathan

So, if this is a website with MouseOver actions that do not have equivalent keyboard interaction, then you probably will not have much luck. Gene's use of turning off JavaScript is interesting, sometimes sites are better at working without JavaScript than they are with general universal design. You will often find Developers that will create lists of all the links, and then hide those links with JavaScript, only to make them visible again on certain actions.
Best Wishes,
Jonathan

On 11/6/19, 3:57 PM, "nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of Joshua Tubbs via Groups.Io" <nvda@nvda.groups.io on behalf of orin8722=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

External email alert: Be wary of links & attachments.

[...]

I just looked at the site with JAVA script on.  I followed one of the links and it opened another page as a standard link does.  I see that the site has a login place, and you didn't say if you did so.  I didn't look enough to see if features are available if you log in that aren't otherwise, but the entire home page appears accessible to me.  In addition, between each of the navigation links is a link that says skip navigation links.  You really only need one but since someone put a skip link after every navigation link, that strongly implies to me that the site was designed to be accessible, even if this or that accomodation may be overdoing it.

I'm not sure what accounts for your problems or if, given more information, we can see them.  But just going to the site and looking around doesn't show me any.

[...]

Hmm. Were you using Chrome?

I'll have to double check to see if JavaScript is on in Chrome.

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Okay, I can get it to work, kind of, but mine doesn't work like a
regular link. I have to do a route mouse command to the link with
capslock shift M on Laptop layout and the menu comes up. It does not
when I press enter on it, though...

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I was using Chrome.  I tested with my XP machine, which I use for e-mail in general.  My version of Chrome is old, for that reason, but I would expect the site to work the same if I tested with my current Chrome version on my Windows 7 machine.  I may do that to be sure.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 8:10 PM

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
> I just looked at the site with JAVA script on.  I followed one of the links
> and it opened another page as a standard link does.  I see that the site has
> a login place, and you didn't say if you did so.  I didn't look enough to
> see if features are available if you log in that aren't otherwise, but the
> entire home page appears accessible to me.  In addition, between each of the
> navigation links is a link that says skip navigation links.  You really only
> need one but since someone put a skip link after every navigation link, that
> strongly implies to me that the site was designed to be accessible, even if
> this or that accomodation may be overdoing it.
>
> I'm not sure what accounts for your problems or if, given more information,
> we can see them.  But just going to the site and looking around doesn't show
> me any.
>
> Gene

What is the text of the link you are working with.  I didn't see links I would necessarily expect to bring up menus.  If you just press enter on the link, what happens.  I would want to test the same link or links.

Sent: Thursday, November 07, 2019 8:40 PM

On 11/7/19, Joshua Tubbs via Groups.Io <orin8722@...> wrote:
> Hmm. Were you using Chrome?
>
> I'll have to double check to see if JavaScript is on in Chrome.
>

> On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
>> I just looked at the site with JAVA script on.  I followed one of the
>> links
>> and it opened another page as a standard link does.  I see that the site
>> has
>> a login place, and you didn't say if you did so.  I didn't look enough to
>> see if features are available if you log in that aren't otherwise, but
>> the
>> entire home page appears accessible to me.  In addition, between each of
>> the
>> navigation links is a link that says skip navigation links.  You really
>> only
>> need one but since someone put a skip link after every navigation link,
>> that
>> strongly implies to me that the site was designed to be accessible, even
>> if
>> this or that accomodation may be overdoing it.
>>
>> I'm not sure what accounts for your problems or if, given more
>> information,
>> we can see them.  But just going to the site and looking around doesn't
>> show
>> me any.
>>
>> Gene

Sile

Hello, would anybody be willing to have a look at a webpage off-line for me. It’s having similar issues with drop-down boxes, but I don’t think it’s related to JavaScript.

I’ve never seen this particular behavior before, so I just want to understand what’s going on.

Sile

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

I just tested it with Opera web browser and it works fine. Why are there so many “skip navigation links”?

******

character is found in how you treat people who cannot do anything for you!

Hello, would anybody be willing to have a look at a webpage off-line for me. It’s having similar issues with drop-down boxes, but I don’t think it’s related to JavaScript.

I’ve never seen this particular behavior before, so I just want to understand what’s going on.

Sile

> On Nov 7, 2019, at 9:10 PM, Joshua Tubbs <orin8722@...> wrote:

> Hmm. Were you using Chrome?

> I'll have to double check to see if JavaScript is on in Chrome.

>> On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:

>> I just looked at the site with JAVA script on.  I followed one of the links

>> and it opened another page as a standard link does.  I see that the site has

>> a login place, and you didn't say if you did so.  I didn't look enough to

>> see if features are available if you log in that aren't otherwise, but the

>> entire home page appears accessible to me.  In addition, between each of the

>> navigation links is a link that says skip navigation links.  You really only

>> need one but since someone put a skip link after every navigation link, that

>> strongly implies to me that the site was designed to be accessible, even if

>> this or that accomodation may be overdoing it.

>> I'm not sure what accounts for your problems or if, given more information,

>> we can see them.  But just going to the site and looking around doesn't show

>> me any.

>> Gene

I'm not sure. I'll try Opera.

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

Rosemarie Chavarria

I'm trying opera but I can't change my home page. I might end up uninstalling it.
\

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I don't understand how for you guys those links are working fine, as
regular links, and when you press enter on them they work as expected.
Does Chrome update automatically like Firefox does? I never know if
i'm on the latest version.
I just downloaded Opera though and I get the same result. Do I need to
change something in NVDA?

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

You are replying in the wrong thread.  I don’t know why you are having the problem and you said you tried more than one browser.  Chrome updates automatically.

Of course strange things happen, but I doubt this is an NVDA problem.  You could try another screen-reader just to see if you get different results.

Gene
I don't understand how for you guys those links are working fine, as
regular links, and when you press enter on them they work as expected.
Does Chrome update automatically like Firefox does? I never know if
i'm on the latest version.
I just downloaded Opera though and I get the same result. Do I need to
change something in NVDA?

> I'm trying opera but I can't change my home page. I might end up
> uninstalling it.
> \

Replying in the wrong thread? I started this thread.

On 11/6/19, Gene <gsasner@...> wrote:
[...]

I thought it was the wrong thread but it is the right one.  I don't look at subject lines much in part because so many of them are irrelevant.

There are two Opera messages in the thread.  I thought you had replied in an opera thread, since the opera messages are immediately below the message I replied to.

Sent: Saturday, November 09, 2019 1:04 PM