Topics

List of NVDA Key Strokes

Thomas E Williamson, Senior

Hello,

I am new to the list.
How can I find the general reading key strokes for NVDA?
For example, reading by character, by word, or by line.
Thanks!

Regards,
Thomas.

Thomas,

           This is built in to NVDA itself, under the NVDA Help Menu.  If you hit NVDA+N,H,Q (NVDA Main Menu, Help Submenu, Commands Quick Reference) you'll be presented with the long list of the most commonly used key commands, including reading commands, in whatever web browser you have set as your default.

            Also take a look at the other options under the Help Submenu.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

Thomas,

          If you're using the desktop keyboard layout [most likely, and the default on any keyboard that includes a number pad] the NVDA key is Insert and if you're using the laptop keyboard layout it's CAPS LOCK.

          ~ Oscar Wilde

David Moore

Hello thomas! Just hold down the nbda key, and press the letter n as in Nancy to bring up the main menu. Then, down arrow to the help submenu and press the right arrow key to open that period then, up arrow and press enter on the users guide. And entire guide for using nvda well open in your default browser. All of the key commands are in chapters four five and sex of that guide I believe that's right. To read by word, just use the Windows command holding down control and pressing right and left arrow keys. To read by line, just press down arrow for next line, up arrow for previous line, and hold down the nvda key and press up arrow to read current line. I believe that's right for current line. Basically, it's just using Windows commands for reading by character word and line like any other screen reader to get you started. You must use the regular arrow keys for nvda. If you use the number pad, you will be navigating with something called the review cursor which gets into more detail. So, use the normal arrow keys!

On Tue, Sep 22, 2020, 6:50 PM Thomas E Williamson, Senior <pofm2016@...> wrote:
Hello,

I am new to the list.
How can I find the general reading key strokes for NVDA?
For example, reading by character, by word, or by line.
Thanks!

Regards,
Thomas.

Tony Ballou

Hi Thomas,

welcome aboard! To access the keystrokes for NVDA, Press insert-n then hit the down arrow until NVDA says Help sub-menu from there, press the right arrow then hit the down arrow twice for the keyboard commands option.  Hope this helps.

Tony

Quentin Christensen

Hi Thomas,

Others have given answers to the specific questions, so I thought I'd tag on the end with a couple of resources which might help you going forward.

If you're coming from Jaws, there is a Wiki article with tips on Switching from Jaws to NVDA: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda-community/wiki/SwitchingFromJawsToNVDA

If you are new to screenreaders completely, or wish to learn NVDA from scratch, you may be interested in the Basic Training for NVDA module, which is available from the NV Access shop (either on its own, or as part of the NVDA Productivity Bundle): https://www.nvaccess.org/shop

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Tony Ballou

Hi Thomas,

Another great resource for NVDA help and tutorials is located at the following link.

http://accessibilitycentral.net/nvda%20tutorials.html

Tony