Looking for a certified NVDA trainer in Canada

Janet Brandly

Hello,

I am looking for someone in Canada certified in NVDA training to work with me to see whether there is any way to use NVDA with the proprietary software used by the company I contract for. The program is supposedly only compatible with JAWS which I am using now. I have tried NVDA with no success. NVDA is so much faster and more responsive. I would really like to be able to use it if possible. This would involve sharing my screen as the software is tied to my computer. If this is something that you may be able to help me with, please contact me directly at jbrandly@.... I will compensate you for your time.

Thank you,

Janet Brandly

Jujube

Hi Janet, I'm by no means a certified NVDA trainer or anything of that sort, but I think it'd be useful to know just a bit more information. Maybe this is something NV Access (aka Quentin) may need to assist with? I don't know.

First of all, just out of curiosity you're just using a demo version of JAWS to try it out, right? Second, are any JAWS scripts being used to interact with the program? Third, so am I correct in saying that the program works well with JAWS but NVDA cannot read or find the dialogues, buttons, controls, etc? I believe many programs these days have native keyboard commands or at least the controls are usually visible no matter what screen reader is in use. Also, it may be worth speaking to the developers of the program so it can be easily used with any screen reader.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 11:58 AM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

Hello,

I am looking for someone in Canada certified in NVDA training to work with me to see whether there is any way to use NVDA with the proprietary software used by the company I contract for. The program is supposedly only compatible with JAWS which I am using now. I have tried NVDA with no success. NVDA is so much faster and more responsive. I would really like to be able to use it if possible. This would involve sharing my screen as the software is tied to my computer. If this is something that you may be able to help me with, please contact me directly at jbrandly@.... I will compensate you for your time.

Thank you,

Janet Brandly

Richard Kuzma

Just a thought and my two cents

Try windows narrator to see what results you get

[...]

Quentin Christensen

Have you talked to the company (or developers) about the accessibility of the package?  As others have asked, do you know if it uses Jaws scripts to enable it to work with Jaws?

If regular navigation isn't getting you around the software, are you familiar with the review cursor and object navigation?  They are NVDA concepts for moving around text and objects which is otherwise inaccessible with normal navigation.  You can find them in the User Guide: https://www.nvaccess.org/files/nvda/documentation/userGuide.html#NavigatingWithNVDA but if you are not already familiar with them, I'd strongly recommend the Basic Training for NVDA which goes into much more depth on them and has exercises and activities to practice your skills: https://www.nvaccess.org/product/basic-training-for-nvda-ebook/

Kind regards

Quentin.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Janet Brandly

Hello Quentin and all,

Yes, I have contacted the software developer about its inaccessibility. The sense I get is that since it is, at least to them, compatible with JAWS, that is sufficient. In fact, the software is only partially accessible with JAWS.

Fortunately, I was able to obtain an annual license for JAWS. The amount of income I will get from this job will never be enough to live on. As for whether or not JAWS is using scripts, I have no idea. I am only learning as much of it as I need to in order to do the work. It seems to be a huge and extremely complicated piece of software, 95% of which I will never use. If it weren’t for the license there is no way I could ever afford it.

Quinten, thank you for those links. I am not familiar with object navigation, etc. However, I would still like to find someone to take a look at this program to see whether or not it could be used with NVDA before diving into that information.

Thanks for all of your input. Any more comments or recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Janet

[...]

Hi Janet, I'm glad you've got something working for now. Based on your description I think it's unlikely JAWS scripts are being used. I am sure there's a way somewhere to check if JAWS scripts have been installed or not but I don't know where it is located in JAWS.

So as far as object navigation and NVDA is concerned, it's essentially the equivalent of the JAWS touch cursor or whatever Window eyes called it. The equivalent of the JAWS cursor is screen review/review cursor. I'm only familiar with laptop keyboard layout but I know many others can explain the desktop layout keystrokes.

So object nav is essentially moving between groups of object, so:
- to move to the next object, press NVDA shift right arrow
- to move to the previous object, press NVDA shift left arrow
- to move between groups of objects, press NVDA+shift+up/down arrow.

NVDA is in object review move by default. To cycle between review modes, press control+page up/page down.
There's also an exercise in this in process post that I suggest trying to help get a better understanding of object navigation. https://www.nvaccess.org/post/in-process-20th-november-2020/
 It's under the heading "using object navigation in Windows 10 settings).

Object nav does take some getting used to if you used a different screen reader in the past, but once you grasp it, you can access a lot more information. Hope this helps.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 12:40 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

[...]

Jackie

Try pressing insert + q w/jaws. If scripts are being used, that should
be announced.

to help me with, please contact me directly at jbrandly@shaw.ca. I will
compensate you for your time.

Thank you,

Janet Brandly

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Web: www.nvaccess.org

Janet Brandly

Hello,

Thank you for this message. I will definitely check out that link. Can you interact with these objects? This software is not standard when it comes to controls which is part of the reason it took me ages to learn it, LOL.

[...]

Hi, Yes you should be able to interact with those objects. Depending on the situation sometimes just pressing enter will work. If not, you can try NVDA+enter (laptop layout) or NVDAA+numpad enter (desktop layout). You may also need to move the focus to the object. I kinda forget which is which but it's either NVDA+backspace or NVDA+shift+backspace.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 2:31 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@...> wrote:

[...]

Sometimes in these really nonstandard contexts you need to try using
NVDA + spacebar.

On Fri, Oct 22, 2021 at 2:31 PM Janet Brandly <jbrandly@shaw.ca> wrote:

[...]

Brian Moore

 on this thread has been helpful in terms of suggestions and the things I would try myself. I am one of many NVDA certified experts in Canada so will write you privately but mostly, this is the stuff I would try myself.

Brian.Hi. All of what I have read so far

Contact me on skype: brian.moore
follow me on twitter:
http://www.twitter.com/bmoore123
On 2021-10-22 5:30 p.m., Janet Brandly wrote:

Hello,

[...]

Thanks. I will give that a try.

Janet