From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Don H
Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 9:43 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] loss of hot keys

Running Win 10 21-h2 and latest released version of NVDA. I reported this issue a couple of NVDA versions ago and thought it was going to be fixed. Problem is the loss of all hot keys associated with NVDA. This happens on what seems to be a random basis. Only way I have found to get the hot keys to work again is to restart NVDA.
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Thanks

Quentin Christensen

Just looking back, I thought when this came up previously, that the issue was with the keyboard, and tapping keys (eg repeatedly tapping the stuck key a few times) fixed it?

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Sarah k Alawami

I think this is somehow as software issue. Can there be a test to see if the keyboard hook gets stuck for what ever reason? This tends to happen sometimes if the computer is busy, or at any random time. I can’t reliably

Reproduce this all the time but when it does happen, it’s annoying.

Just looking back, I thought when this came up previously, that the issue was with the keyboard, and tapping keys (eg repeatedly tapping the stuck key a few times) fixed it?

On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 4:43 AM Don H <lmddh50@...> wrote:

Running Win 10 21-h2 and latest released version of NVDA.  I reported
this issue a couple of NVDA versions ago and thought it was going to be
fixed.  Problem is the loss of all hot keys associated with NVDA.  This
happens on what seems to be a random basis.  Only way I have found to
get the hot keys to work again is to restart NVDA.
Anyone else experiencing this problem?
Thanks

--

Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sarah k Alawami

When this happens, all keys get stuck. I know we’ve talked about this before. It does not matter if it is a wired keyboard or a laptop keyboard. Iv’e tested with both over the years this has been happening.

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

This affects built in keyboards as well and directly connected ones.  I don’t know what causes it but it has something to do with NVDA and was referred to years ago when JAWS had the problem as sticky keys.  I don’t use JAWS now and I don’t know if it ever happens.

Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 7:20 PM

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

Chris Mullins

Hi

I had this a few years ago, took laptop to a local repair store and they put a new keyboard unit in it.  No problems ever since.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

When this happens, all keys get stuck. I know we’ve talked about this before. It does not matter if it is a wired keyboard or a laptop keyboard. Iv’e tested with both over the years this has been happening.

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

Gene

Then you didn’t have the same problem.  You may have had a mechanical problem and your computer may not have the problem being described, but it is a problam that evidently, many people have.

When this happens, all keys get stuck. I know we’ve talked about this before. It does not matter if it is a wired keyboard or a laptop keyboard. Iv’e tested with both over the years this has been happening.

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

Sarah k Alawami

The problem is I have sticky keys disabled. I really do think it has something to do with the keyboard hook in wx python as we had this problem in a program someone is coding. I can’t remember how they fixed it, I think we used a different keyboard hook.

Sent: Tuesday, November 30, 2021 7:20 PM

Given how cheap fully functional USB wired external keyboards are at most thrift shops, it's worth having one on hand for testing purposes.  Of course if it's a laptop key that's stuck, and you can't unstick it, an external keyboard will still misbehave since the computer will accept input from all connected keyboards.

         ~ Vance Packard

I had forgotten the prior disussions of this issue which had made it clear that this was believed to be a "software key sticking" rather than the more typical hardware key sticking.

Unfortunately, this is something that's extremely difficult to tease out the root cause of, particularly if it cannot be reliably replicated.  And given the number of layers involved between Windows, the screen reader(s), and the programs being accessed with them the "sticking point" could be coming about by a very specific confluence of events that just doesn't happen often at all, and that no one has ever figured out how to intentionally trigger.

Computer bugs really can't be solved if you can't find a way to make them reliably occur.  Without that, you can't trace the code path or paths being taken and where the issue finally shows itself.  The old programmers wry joke phrase, "That's not a bug, it's a feature," has its roots in situations like this.

         ~ Vance Packard