locked Making Portable NVDA

Howard Traxler

I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB thumb drive.  I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy starts.  I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no screen reader and have it start automatically.  Can someone tell me how to make this happen?

Thank you.

Howard

John Isige

You can't. Well, you can if you already have access to the machine and
install some third party software on it and make a script on your USB
drive, but that doesn't solve your problem. The easiest thing, I think,
would be to name your drive with a number, so in the volume label you'd
type something like 1nvda or whatever. Then to run it, you'd do the
following.

1. insert drive into computer, wait for the noise that tells you it was
recognized.

2. Hit windows-e to get into file explorer.

3. Hit 1 to get to your drive.

4. Hit enter to get into your drive.

At this point, you want to set up the contents of the drive so you have
a numbered file, like 1.bat. Have that file run NVDA. So when you're in
that drive, hit 1 and hit enter again, and you should have NVDA running.
So for example, suppose on your machine, the drive is e:. You make a
portable copy of NVDA at e:\nvda. Label e: as 1nvda or whatever, then go
into the drive. Make a file called 1.bat with text like so.

#echo off

cd \nvda

nvda

Then, slap the drive into a new machine, hit win-e, 1, enter, 1, enter.
NVDA should run.

On 10/29/2021 12:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB
thumb drive.  I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut
down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy
starts.  I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no
screen reader and have it start automatically.  Can someone tell me
how to make this happen?

Thank you.

Howard

Howard Traxler

Thanks John.  That sure did work.  Tried it on my main machine and it works fine.

Now the big problem is:

I have another machine, a windows 10 computer that I bought about six years ago but never got it running; because I forgot the logon password.  I'm hoping that I can get it as far as asking for the password, then make it talk.  Gonna try this thumb drive or/and try narrator.

If you have other ideas, please suggest.  I have found, downloaded, and set up a boot CD with a program that is supposed to let me take away the password.  But I need to make the machine talk or get a sighty to read the screen.  Well, maybe soon.

Thanks again.

Howard

On 10/29/2021 12:57 PM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Monte Single

Howard, narrator is your best bet to get t the speech working. Start the machine and press control plus the win key plus enter. This turns narrator on and off.

[...]

Chris Mullins

                Hi

If you haven’t used the computer in 6 years, Windows 10 will be totally out of date.  You can start Narrator with a shortcut key combination as soon as Windows is active.  The key combination is Control+Windows+Enter as of now but it may have been just Windows+Enter on the version you have.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

Thanks John.  That sure did work.  Tried it on my main machine and it

works fine.

Now the big problem is:

I have another machine, a windows 10 computer that I bought about six

years ago but never got it running; because I forgot the logon

password.  I'm hoping that I can get it as far as asking for the

password, then make it talk.  Gonna try this thumb drive or/and try

narrator.

If you have other ideas, please suggest.  I have found, downloaded, and

set up a boot CD with a program that is supposed to let me take away the

password.  But I need to make the machine talk or get a sighty to read

the screen.  Well, maybe soon.

Thanks again.

Howard

On 10/29/2021 12:57 PM, John Isige wrote:

> You can't. Well, you can if you already have access to the machine and

> install some third party software on it and make a script on your USB

> drive, but that doesn't solve your problem. The easiest thing, I think,

> would be to name your drive with a number, so in the volume label you'd

> type something like 1nvda or whatever. Then to run it, you'd do the

> following.

> 1. insert drive into computer, wait for the noise that tells you it was

> recognized.

> 2. Hit windows-e to get into file explorer.

> 3. Hit 1 to get to your drive.

> 4. Hit enter to get into your drive.

> At this point, you want to set up the contents of the drive so you have

> a numbered file, like 1.bat. Have that file run NVDA. So when you're in

> that drive, hit 1 and hit enter again, and you should have NVDA running.

> So for example, suppose on your machine, the drive is e:. You make a

> portable copy of NVDA at e:\nvda. Label e: as 1nvda or whatever, then go

> into the drive. Make a file called 1.bat with text like so.

> #echo off

> cd \nvda

> nvda

> Then, slap the drive into a new machine, hit win-e, 1, enter, 1, enter.

> NVDA should run.

> On 10/29/2021 12:40 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

>> I have been successful at making a portable copy of NVDA on a USB

>> thumb drive.  I can navigatte to it on my main computer, then shut

>> down the running NVDA, just hit the enter key and the portable copy

>> starts.  I'd like to plug this thumb drive into a machine that has no

>> screen reader and have it start automatically.  Can someone tell me

>> how to make this happen?

>> Thank you.

>> Howard

Howard Traxler

Yup, I know that windows will update itself as soon as I connect to the internet; but the first thing is to get it up and talking.

On 10/29/2021 2:01 PM, Chris Mullins wrote:

[...]

Daniel McGee

I think, the simplest way to run a portable copy is to run narrator. Plug in your flash drive, open up windows explorer, find the drive and hit enter and hopefully NVDA should start. Unload narrator and job done! I haven't created a portable copy of NVDA but this is how I would of approached this situation..

In Windows 10, we have the advantage of starting narrator from a simple keystroke. Why not utilize this and then customize our PC environment to our liking.

Best of luck

[...]

Windows feature updates require manual invocation, they do not normally happen automatically and if the machine manages to get to the log-in screen, one of the shortcuts I mentioned previously should get Narrator speaking.

Cheers

Chris

Sent from Mail for Windows

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:
If you have other ideas, please suggest.
-
Given the history of this machine, I would suggest:  Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive

You will end up needing sighted assistance because this process involves some "pre-Windows being active" steps.   But it allows you to wipe the machine completely clean and start entirely afresh with the latest version of Windows.  You'll even have to set up your account on the machine again.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

John Isige

Do you need sighted assistance? You can generate install media from Windows, and when you boot from the media, you should be able to activate Narrator.

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 12:34 PM, John Isige wrote:
Do you need sighted assistance?
-
Yes.   Doing a completely clean reinstall involves changing the boot order in UEFI/BIOS to look for the USB media first in that order.  There is no screen reader support without an operating system (regardless of the operating system) so one needs sighted assistance on the rare occasions where one needs to deal with UEFI/BIOS.

Normally I'd suggest doing a Repair Install/Feature Update using the same media, but you must be able to boot into Windows 10 in order to do that.  And since this computer has not been fired up in years, and the password cannot be remembered (presuming it uses a local account - if it uses a Microsoft Account, you can change the password for that account on Microsoft.com and the change propagates down provided you're connected to the internet when you boot), and it has an ancient version of Windows 10 it just makes more sense to do what we in the business call a "Nuke and Pave" and have what amounts to an "out of the box" experience with the machine immediately afterward.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

John Isige

Ah I see. I figured that would be set up already, either because newer UEFI comes with that by default, I think, or it had already been done.

On 10/30/2021 12:04 PM, Brian Vogel wrote:
[...]

Thank you Brian, I have the Media Creation Tool and some instructions for it (though I don't really understand them) and have made a windows installation thumb drive.  I copied the text of your UEFI presentation ( hope the .JPGs there are not really necessary). Now I'll try to get drivers from the ASUS site.  Then I just wait until I can get sighted help to put it all together.

Howard

[...]

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

         ~ John F. Kennedy

On Sat, Oct 30, 2021 at 01:08 PM, John Isige wrote:
[Regardng boot order and USB devices] . . .UEFI comes with that by default, I think, or it had already been done.
-
John,

Nope.  I've never seen any machine that has, as the default setting, booting from anything except the system drive first in boot order.  Having USB first would be a PITA in many instances if someone has left a thumb drive or a USB external HDD connected and is booting up.  It would try to use either one of those and, if they are not bootable media, thing get stuck.

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Howard Traxler

Sorry, we're drifting away from the original subject; but Brian, when I do this reinstall of windows, must I be connected to the internet?  At what point can I start my portable NVDA or narrator?

I went to ASUS website today and can't figure out how to get the drivers for this computer.  I left them an email; we'll see if they respond.

Howard

Given the history of this machine, I would suggest: */Doing a Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive/* <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQO_Qey-g3XK>

You will end up needing sighted assistance because this process involves some "pre-Windows being active" steps.   But it allows you to wipe the machine completely clean and start entirely afresh with the latest version of Windows.  You'll even have to set up your account on the machine again.

*The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

         ~ John F. Kennedy

Howard Traxler

An example:  While I'm awaiting sighted help to get this ASUS machine going, I brought out my 15-year old IBM thinkpad that has windows xp, JAWS 15, NVDA 2017, and some old firefox.  Not current, and it's slow, but it keeps me going temporarily.  How about that?

Howard

On 10/30/2021 11:35 AM, John Isige wrote:

[...]

Arlene

Well, whatever works! As long as it gets you by while waiting for someone to come help you.  I had an IBM think pad but it had windows 95.  How’s that for  aintchent?  It must be strange using old xp.

Sent from Mail for Windows

An example:  While I'm awaiting sighted help to get this ASUS machine

going, I brought out my 15-year old IBM thinkpad that has windows xp,

JAWS 15, NVDA 2017, and some old firefox.  Not current, and it's slow,

but it keeps me going temporarily.  How about that?

Howard

On 10/30/2021 11:35 AM, John Isige wrote:

> Do you need sighted assistance? You can generate install media from

> Windows, and when you boot from the media, you should be able to

> activate Narrator.

> On 10/30/2021 10:14 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

>>     If you have other ideas, please suggest.

>> -

>> Given the history of this machine, I would suggest: */Doing a

>> Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool

>> to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive/*

>> <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQO_Qey-g3XK>

>> You will end up needing sighted assistance because this process

>> involves some "pre-Windows being active" steps.   But it allows you

>> to wipe the machine completely clean and start entirely afresh with

>> the latest version of Windows.  You'll even have to set up your

>> account on the machine again.

>> --

>> Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

>> *The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

>>          ~ John F. Kennedy

mike mcglashon

Do I hear anyone pulling out an old ibm ps/2?

By the way, the keyboards on them were awesome, (nice and bouncy and durable);

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Well, whatever works! As long as it gets you by while waiting for someone to come help you.  I had an IBM think pad but it had windows 95.  How’s that for  aintchent?  It must be strange using old xp.

Sent from Mail for Windows

An example:  While I'm awaiting sighted help to get this ASUS machine

going, I brought out my 15-year old IBM thinkpad that has windows xp,

JAWS 15, NVDA 2017, and some old firefox.  Not current, and it's slow,

but it keeps me going temporarily.  How about that?

Howard

On 10/30/2021 11:35 AM, John Isige wrote:

> Do you need sighted assistance? You can generate install media from

> Windows, and when you boot from the media, you should be able to

> activate Narrator.

> On 10/30/2021 10:14 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

>>     If you have other ideas, please suggest.

>> -

>> Given the history of this machine, I would suggest: */Doing a

>> Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool

>> to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive/*

>> <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQO_Qey-g3XK>

>> You will end up needing sighted assistance because this process

>> involves some "pre-Windows being active" steps.   But it allows you

>> to wipe the machine completely clean and start entirely afresh with

>> the latest version of Windows.  You'll even have to set up your

>> account on the machine again.

>> --

>> Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

>> *The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

>>          ~ John F. Kennedy

Emmanuel Junaid

Please I need the step-by-step instruction as a beginner on how to make my NVDA portable run from my USB drive.

On Sun, Oct 31, 2021, 2:29 AM mike mcglashon <michael.mcglashon@...> wrote:

Do I hear anyone pulling out an old ibm ps/2?

By the way, the keyboards on them were awesome, (nice and bouncy and durable);

Please advise as you like.

Mike M.

Mike mcglashon

Email: Michael.mcglashon@...

Well, whatever works! As long as it gets you by while waiting for someone to come help you.  I had an IBM think pad but it had windows 95.  How’s that for  aintchent?  It must be strange using old xp.

Sent from Mail for Windows

An example:  While I'm awaiting sighted help to get this ASUS machine

going, I brought out my 15-year old IBM thinkpad that has windows xp,

JAWS 15, NVDA 2017, and some old firefox.  Not current, and it's slow,

but it keeps me going temporarily.  How about that?

Howard

On 10/30/2021 11:35 AM, John Isige wrote:

> Do you need sighted assistance? You can generate install media from

> Windows, and when you boot from the media, you should be able to

> activate Narrator.

> On 10/30/2021 10:14 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:

>> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 02:42 PM, Howard Traxler wrote:

>>     If you have other ideas, please suggest.

>> -

>> Given the history of this machine, I would suggest: */Doing a

>> Completely Clean (Re)install of Windows 10 Using Media Creation Tool

>> to Create Bootable Win10 Install Media on a USB Thumb Drive/*

>> <https://drive.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1XBakbeS4WYPN3-O5ET5HIQO_Qey-g3XK>

>> You will end up needing sighted assistance because this process

>> involves some "pre-Windows being active" steps.   But it allows you

>> to wipe the machine completely clean and start entirely afresh with

>> the latest version of Windows.  You'll even have to set up your

>> account on the machine again.

>> --

>> Brian -Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

>> *The ignorance of one voter in a democracy impairs the security of all.*

>>          ~ John F. Kennedy

Steve Nutt

Hi,

You don’t need sighted assistance to completely reinstall Windows 10, I have done it on many occasions.

Once the media creation tool is running on the PC, then Narrator will kick in.

Reset This PC keeping nothing, will effectively do the same thing, again, no sighted help needed.

All the best

Steve

Computer Room Services

77 Exeter Close