Topics

Masked URLs in E-mail messages

Jonathan Milam

Hi All,

Is it possible to quickly see a link in an e-mail message that has been linked within a specific string of text and not just pasted directly into an e-mail message with NVDA?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Gene

Are you asking how to see the underlying address for something that might say, for example, click here as a link? If you are on the link and open the context menu, if your e-mail program has this feature, you will see something like copy shortcut or copy link location, the wording will vary. Press enter and the underlying link will be copied to the clipboard.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 7:59 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Masked URLs in E-mail messages

Hi All,

Is it possible to quickly see a link in an e-mail message that has been linked within a specific string of text and not just pasted directly into an e-mail message with NVDA?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan Milam

That's correct, Gene. I was hoping that perhaps an add-on or keystroke
might be available that, when the keystroke was pressed, the URL would
appear in such a way as to allow the arrow keys to be used to validate its
legitimacy and Escape would close the dialog. This would eliminate copying
it to the clipboard, switching to a different window, pasting it and then
reading it and then closing that window and returning to the message.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:29 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Masked URLs in E-mail messages

Are you asking how to see the underlying address for something that might
say, for example, click here as a link? If you are on the link and open the
context menu, if your e-mail program has this feature, you will see
something like copy shortcut or copy link location, the wording will vary.
Press enter and the underlying link will be copied to the clipboard.

Gene

Hi All,

Is it possible to quickly see a link in an e-mail message that has been
linked within a specific string of text and not just pasted directly into an
e-mail message with NVDA?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan,

What e-mail client are you using.  Generally, when one has focus on click-through text links the status bar at the bottom of the window frame will show the actual naked URL text.  The problem being that it will likely be impossible to maintain focus on both things at once, which is one of the conundrums associated with using a screen reader.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041  

A gentleman is one who never hurts anyone's feelings unintentionally.

~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

It might be possible, but I don't know how difficult it would be. The way a sighted person would usually see the underlying link is to hover the mouse over it. You would need something to perform that function and then to announce the link by checking the part of the screen where it appears and I don't know if it always appears in the same part.

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:03 AM

That's correct, Gene. I was hoping that perhaps an add-on or keystroke
might be available that, when the keystroke was pressed, the URL would
appear in such a way as to allow the arrow keys to be used to validate its
legitimacy and Escape would close the dialog. This would eliminate copying
it to the clipboard, switching to a different window, pasting it and then
reading it and then closing that window and returning to the message.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:29 AM

Are you asking how to see the underlying address for something that might
say, for example, click here as a link? If you are on the link and open the
context menu, if your e-mail program has this feature, you will see
something like copy shortcut or copy link location, the wording will vary.
Press enter and the underlying link will be copied to the clipboard.

Gene

Hi All,

Is it possible to quickly see a link in an e-mail message that has been
linked within a specific string of text and not just pasted directly into an
e-mail message with NVDA?

Thanks,

Jonathan

Gene

Does Outlook have a status line? Windows Live Mail doesn't and Thunderbird does. I'll play withit in Thunderbird and see what happens.

Gene

Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 10:21 AM

Jonathan,

What e-mail client are you using. Generally, when one has focus on click-through text links the status bar at the bottom of the window frame will show the actual naked URL text. The problem being that it will likely be impossible to maintain focus on both things at once, which is one of the conundrums associated with using a screen reader.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

I just tried this in Thunderbird. Moving the mouse to the link isn't necessary. Just moving to the link when reading the message as HTML or as simple HTML, a safer way to read mail in Thunderbird, causes the status line to show the underlying link. I don't know where it might be shown in Windows Live Mail. If it is acdcessible to the screen-reader, it appears to be inconvenient to get to and I didn't see it when I looked using screen review or moving using object navigation.

Gene

Jonathan,

What e-mail client are you using. Generally, when one has focus on click-through text links the status bar at the bottom of the window frame will show the actual naked URL text. The problem being that it will likely be impossible to maintain focus on both things at once, which is one of the conundrums associated with using a screen reader.

--

Brian - Windows 10 Pro, 64-Bit, Version 2004, Build 19041

~ Oscar Wilde

On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Does Outlook have a status line?
-
Having just checked, the answer to that is, "Yes and no."   It certainly has what I'd call a status line to let you know that send-receive is going on, whether filters are applied, whether you're connected to your server and similar.   But when reading messages it's a mouse-over pop-up box that shows the naked URL.

I also have installed the latest NVDA beta and am not certain whether I'm having an issue or not.  I could have sworn when you're reading a message in Outlook that you could use the web browsing shortcuts like U and V to go to unvisited or visited links in a message, but that's not working for me at the moment (but I could be having the proverbial "brain fart" and doing something wrong, too).

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Gene

I just found out something useful if the address appears in the status line of the program you are using and it is in the place where NVDA sees it.  If you issue the read status line command three times, it copies it to the clipboard.  Suppose you want to send someone the underlying link to something in an e-mail.  You can place the link on the clipboard and copy it to a message you are writing that way.

Gene

On 9/18/2020 11:18 AM, Gene via groups.io wrote:

I just tried this in Thunderbird.  Moving the mouse to the link isn't necessary.  Just moving to the link when reading th
e message as HTML or as simple HTML, a safer way to read mail in Thunderbird, causes the status line to show the     underlying link.  I don't know where it might be shown in Windows Live Mail. If it is acdcessible to the screen-reader, it appears to be inconvenient to get to and I didn't see it when I looked using screen review or moving using object navigation.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Brian Vogel

Jonathan,

What e-mail client are you using.  Generally, when one has focus on click-through text links the status bar at the bottom of the window frame will show the actual naked URL text.  The problem being that it will likely be impossible to maintain focus on both things at once, which is one of the conundrums associated with using a screen reader.

Gene

I wonder if you can use the JAWS mouseover command to find and move to the line where the address is shown.  But if you are going to do that, you might as well use the context menu with the shortcut key provided, then use the read clipboard command your screen-reader provides.  They are both about as much work.

Gene

On 9/18/2020 11:28 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:10 PM, Gene wrote:
Does Outlook have a status line?
-
Having just checked, the answer to that is, "Yes and no."   It certainly has what I'd call a status line to let you know that send-receive is going on, whether filters are applied, whether you're connected to your server and similar.   But when reading messages it's a mouse-over pop-up box that shows the naked URL.

I also have installed the latest NVDA beta and am not certain whether I'm having an issue or not.  I could have sworn when you're reading a message in Outlook that you could use the web browsing shortcuts like U and V to go to unvisited or visited links in a message, but that's not working for me at the moment (but I could be having the proverbial "brain fart" and doing something wrong, too).

--

~ Oscar Wilde

And, to be perfectly honest, unless you do not trust the source of the message seeing naked URLs is of virtually zero benefit.  And if you do not trust the source of a message, even playing around in it and chancing accidentally activating a URL contained therein is not wise.

The messages I get from entities I routinely do business with all contain click-through links that use text describing what it is you're clicking through to, whether that's a reference page, product, etc.   I never even look at the URLs for those, because the source is trustworthy.

There is the very rare occasion I need to do this, but if push came to shove and I couldn't see it, I'd do what was suggested earlier with copying the link location and pasting it in Notepad or similar.  I just very very seldom have any reason to check links from sources I know to be trustworthy, and if I have even the slightest doubt regarding the source I won't touch the URLs in the e-mail anyway; it goes straight to trash.

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Jonathan Milam

Thanks, Brian and Gene.  This all makes sense.  I didn’t think there was an easy way to see this info quickly but just wanted to confirm.  I really appreciate it.

Jonathan

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Friday, September 18, 2020 1:05 PM

And, to be perfectly honest, unless you do not trust the source of the message seeing naked URLs is of virtually zero benefit.  And if you do not trust the source of a message, even playing around in it and chancing accidentally activating a URL contained therein is not wise.

The messages I get from entities I routinely do business with all contain click-through links that use text describing what it is you're clicking through to, whether that's a reference page, product, etc.   I never even look at the URLs for those, because the source is trustworthy.

There is the very rare occasion I need to do this, but if push came to shove and I couldn't see it, I'd do what was suggested earlier with copying the link location and pasting it in Notepad or similar.  I just very very seldom have any reason to check links from sources I know to be trustworthy, and if I have even the slightest doubt regarding the source I won't touch the URLs in the e-mail anyway; it goes straight to trash.

--

~ Oscar Wilde

Dzhovani

Hi,
the way I check those things is to use the object navigation. Focus the link, nvda+numpad8, nvda+numpad5 three times to copy the text if the link is too complicated and followup paste in notepad to inspect it more closely.
Works in Thunderbird, haven't checked it elsewhere. Also, you can try to check the mail in plain text and it might show you the href as well.
HTH,
Dzhovani

Gene

You can do that if the links are written out.  You can't if the links say something like click here.

Gene

On 9/19/2020 4:43 AM, Dzhovani wrote:
Hi,
the way I check those things is to use the object navigation. Focus the link, nvda+numpad8, nvda+numpad5 three times to copy the text if the link is too complicated and followup paste in notepad to inspect it more closely.
Works in Thunderbird, haven't checked it elsewhere. Also, you can try to check the mail in plain text and it might show you the href as well.
HTH,
Dzhovani

Dzhovani

Actually, I can. Unless there is type of links that I've never met so far. NVDA+numpad5 would say "click here". NVDA+numpad8 for going down the object tree would say "click here, https://example.com/some-path-here". Works in Thunderbird and Firefox.

Quentin Christensen

I've added a comment on this issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/11212 - the issue was originally requesting a feature such as in Narrator where you can press a keystroke to have a URL sent to an online service and the title retrieved - I'd prefer simply reading the underlying URL.  Personally, the context of the link should already give you the WHY you might follow it that you might get from the title, what I really want to know exactly WHERE it will take me.

On Sun, Sep 20, 2020 at 4:22 AM Dzhovani <dzhovani.chemishanov@...> wrote:
Actually, I can. Unless there is type of links that I've never met so far. NVDA+numpad5 would say "click here". NVDA+numpad8 for going down the object tree would say "click here, https://example.com/some-path-here". Works in Thunderbird and Firefox.

--
Quentin Christensen
Training and Support Manager