MathPlayer broke NVDA and Firefox.

John Isige

So because I was posting about MathPlayer, somebody said they didn't want to install it because the last time they did and uninstalled it, it broke NVDA, it wouldn't "pick up" Chrome. Then somebody said you could use the Access Math addon without MathPlayer. I figured I'd kill two birds with one stone and uninstall MathPlayer to see what happened, and try the addon.

Well, it indeed broke things. When Firefox comes up initially I get the normal read of the address bar, but whenever it loads a page I get "unknown", and silence with tabbing.

Please read carefully!

I have run the com registration tool. Twice. I have restarted. I have UAC turned off and it must have run with admin rights because it didn't ask for anything and said it finished.

My next idea is to generate a portable copy with all addons, uninstall, and then reinstall from the portable copy. But I'm not sure if that will work because I have no idea what's broken. anybody have a fix for this?

John Isige

Well, I just created a portable copy and told it to run it when it was
done. That didn't fix anything, so I doubt reinstallation will either.

On 8/16/2021 11:21 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Tyler Spivey

I'm tired of helping people fix this issue. NV Access is responsible for the situation they created by supporting MathPlayer, and they should be responsible for getting you back up and running again.
They've known about this issue for years, but refuse to do anything about it once and for all.

However, start here:
https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/message/71405

On 8/16/2021 9:21 AM, John Isige wrote:
[...]

Gene

It sounds as though the registration tool isn’t correcting the problem, at least in your case.  Do you have system restore ;points?  If this is a registry problem, running a restore point before you uninstalled math player will likely correct the problem.

I’ll add that that is no reason not to install Math Player.  It means that if you install it, you shouldn’t uninstall it.  There is no reason to uninstall it.  Just don’t use it if you don’t want to.  You can disable add-ons and leave them installed if the add-on is doing something you don’t want.

Uninstalling Microsoft Office causes problems with NVDA but people wouldn’t not install it for that reason.

Well, I just created a portable copy and told it to run it when it was
done. That didn't fix anything, so I doubt reinstallation will either.

On 8/16/2021 11:21 AM, John Isige wrote:
> So because I was posting about MathPlayer, somebody said they didn't
> want to install it because the last time they did and uninstalled it,
> it broke NVDA, it wouldn't "pick up" Chrome. Then somebody said you
> could use the Access Math addon without MathPlayer. I figured I'd kill
> two birds with one stone and uninstall MathPlayer to see what
> happened, and try the addon.
>

> Well, it indeed broke things. When Firefox comes up initially I get
> the normal read of the address bar, but whenever it loads a page I get
> "unknown", and silence with tabbing.
>

> Please read carefully!
>

> I have run the com registration tool. Twice. I have restarted. I have
> UAC turned off and it must have run with admin rights because it
> didn't ask for anything and said it finished.
>

> My next idea is to generate a portable copy with all addons,
> uninstall, and then reinstall from the portable copy. But I'm not sure
> if that will work because I have no idea what's broken. anybody have a
> fix for this?

John Isige

Thanks, that worked! Had to get my wife to read the page, but still.

On 8/16/2021 11:51 AM, Tyler Spivey via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Rowen Cary

HI,

NVDA2021.2beta1 version seems to have improved the registration tool, can you give it a try?

Cheers

John Isige

No, I fixed it already, sorry.