From: Scott Berry
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] McAffee Antivirus does not work with NVDA

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says: "Chrome: Cannot read old Chrome."

Scott Berry

It does work with JAWS and there is really no reason why it couldn't work with NVDA.

On 7/16/2020 7:11 AM, Gene wrote:
That's not surprising.  Increasing numbers of antivirus programs don't work with screen-readers.  It may work with JAWS; you might want to try JAWS to see but I'm far from optimistic.

If you are using Windows 10, Windows Defender is highly rated and well thought of.  If Malware Bytes is still accessible, you may want to use that as well.

Gene
-----Original Message----- From: Scott Berry
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."

Gene

It depends. Years ago, Avast wasn't accessible with screen-readers. In order to allow information to reach JAWS from Avast, the developers explicitly told Avast to let JAWS see the information. Without that explicit exception, allowing information to reach the screen-reader was stopped by the self defense system of NVDA.

I'm not saying the same situation exists today, but it can't be assumed that because an antivirus program works with one screen-reader that it will work with others.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says: "Chrome: Cannot read old Chrome."

Gene

I should add that since this was done, Avast has become less accessible and I don't think it is sufficiently accessible to be used with any screen-reader.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says: "Chrome: Cannot read old Chrome."

Scott Berry

Gene,

I am not taking that for granted.  I just wanted to moreless let people know my experience.  It works fine in Jaws so that's what aI use for it.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."

David Goldfield

To Gene's point I can tell you that Kaspersky Antivirus, while its accessibility is far from ideal, works much better with NVDA than it does with JAWS. With JAWS I need to use the touch cursor to review the screen, which is similar to NVDA's object navigation. With NVDA navigating with the tab key does at least provide some feedback although there are instances where using object navigation is needed.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."

Yeah, there is an article on a blog I am on on this.

We have windows defender.

That aparently is actually quite crappy now but with so many false positives who knows now days.

Someone says that kaspersky cloud is supposed to be good.

However I have so many games, and files which are false alarms even to malwarebytes, most of them bgt games, then the virtual recorder program and a few other actual programs, that I have lived with a lot of my drives excluded, my data drive is completely excluded, my backup drives are also excluded.

In fact all drive letters through to h are excluded from scanning, so are a lot of folders in program files.

Anything which is blindness related is excluded.

The only things the checker notices are windows itself and my user account and downloads, I have even excluded all my cloud locations because if there is a virus, the cloud system like dropbox becomes nicely stuck.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."

.

I tried sophos home but because of those false positives, the program went through my drive and other things and deleted everything that was bad.

As you can imagine, I had a nice long load of errors, reinstalling several programs, a reformat so windows would stop saying errors at me, etc.

I have come to the conclusion that security software doesn't like any disabled people or at least not blind gamers like myself.

I like windows defender because I can control it without losing to much and if I do its easy to fix.

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says:  "Chrome:  Cannot read old Chrome."

.

On Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 06:59 PM, Shaun Everiss wrote:
We have windows defender.

That apparently is actually quite crappy now but with so many false positives who knows now days.
-
It's easy for anyone to know "now days" and has been for years.  There are a number of large, very well-known, and well-respected organizations that do testing on security suites over and over and over again and frequently enough to let anyone who cares to look at their results know how things stand not only here and now, but historically if you look at the earlier testing results.

Where a given product lands depends on exactly how the given organization tests, but you will see clear trends regarding what security suites are best, and have been best for some time.  Windows Defender has been a top-shelf product, being in the top ten results consistently, since its major rework under Windows 8, and that has been carried over in to Windows 10.

Look at the most recent testing results from the following antivirus/security testing labs, along with the historical results from the past several years if you want to see how Windows Security/Defender has been performing.  Windows Security has been solidly in the top 10, often top 5, and frequently beats out several well-known competitors that one must pay for.

AV Test

AV Comparatives

SE Labs  (Reports Page)

MRG Effitas  (360 Protection Testing Category)

Virtually everything that's been mentioned here about the waxing and waning of accessibility with third-party security products has been said repeatedly.  Even my advice regarding how to find something that's as close to "objective" information about how various security suites perform "in real life, in the wild" have been offered before.

At this point, I'm requesting that this topic be brought rapidly to a close, though I'm not locking it.  If you want a product that is maximally accessible, and extremely good at its intended purpose, then use Windows Security.  It's just that simple.

Robert Doc Wright godfearer

How do you get rid of Macafee

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Hello there,

It looks as though the new McAffee antivirus doesn't work with N'Vda.
It simply says: "Chrome: Cannot read old Chrome."

Rui Fontes

Normally I remove the McAfee programs using the NVDA OCR feature...

Rui Fontes

NVDA portuguese team

How do you get rid of Macafee

Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 7:58 AM