locked Messages Being Marked As Spam - What You Can Do #adminnotice

Hello All,

I have noticed recently that we are having a number of people unsubscribed for marking messages as spam.  Let me first say that I know that those of you being so unsubscribed have likely not done this marking yourself, but it's a part of the spam filtering your email service provider has.

When this occurs, there are things you can do to help avoid this happening to others in the future, the most important of which is going to your spam folder and unmarking the message that got sent there that originated from groups.io.  This starts a feedback loop with the email service provider and their spam filtering and even a few of these unmarkings tends to get the filter that classified groups.io messages as spam removed.

It's also helpful, when possible, to write support at your email service provider and telling them that since groups.io is a subscription only service, nothing that comes from it can be considered spam.  If you haven't subscribed to a group, you will not get messages from it, plain and simple.

If you happen to have accidentally marked a groups.io message as spam yourself, then please do take the time to go to your spam folder and unmark it.  The feedback loop to email service providers works both ways, and just a few "mark as spam" actions can trigger the creation of a filter by the email service provider, and that can affect a large number of people.  Unmarking messages accidentally marked as spam can prevent this from happening.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

I use Time Warner Mail now known officially as Spectrum mail service. I was getting this issue of group messages marked as spam on several e-mail addresses. I used to go to the online interface and mark them as not spam and send them to the inbox. This did not solve the problem. Every time the mail hit the server, it was filtered into the spam folder. I called tech support and they told me to put those trouble addresses into my online address book. I did this and for a few days, nothing changed, then after about 4 or 5 days, the messages started showing up as normal mail in my inbox on my Thunderbird mail program.  So if anyone has this issue, give this method a try as well.

On 9/27/2021 11:09 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
Hello All,

I have noticed recently that we are having a number of people unsubscribed for marking messages as spam.  Let me first say that I know that those of you being so unsubscribed have likely not done this marking yourself, but it's a part of the spam filtering your email service provider has.

When this occurs, there are things you can do to help avoid this happening to others in the future, the most important of which is going to your spam folder and unmarking the message that got sent there that originated from groups.io.  This starts a feedback loop with the email service provider and their spam filtering and even a few of these unmarkings tends to get the filter that classified groups.io messages as spam removed.

It's also helpful, when possible, to write support at your email service provider and telling them that since groups.io is a subscription only service, nothing that comes from it can be considered spam.  If you haven't subscribed to a group, you will not get messages from it, plain and simple.

If you happen to have accidentally marked a groups.io message as spam yourself, then please do take the time to go to your spam folder and unmark it.  The feedback loop to email service providers works both ways, and just a few "mark as spam" actions can trigger the creation of a filter by the email service provider, and that can affect a large number of people.  Unmarking messages accidentally marked as spam can prevent this from happening.
--

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

-- 
Signature:
For a nation to admit it has done grevous wrongs and will strive to correct them for the betterment of all is no vice;
For a nation to claim it has always been great, needs no improvement  and to cling to its past achievements is no virtue!

Louise Pfau

I mark the e-mail messages as “not spam” from my E-mail client, because they seem to go right back into spam if I mark them from the gmail web interface.  Don’t ask me why.  This is pure speculation, but maybe the feedback loop works better when created from an E-mail client.

Louise

Gene

My guess is that you aren’t doing anything that affects GMail when you do this in the client.  Mhy guess is that your program is running a spam filter and you are telling the program itself not to place the message in the program’s spam folder. 

When I am on the GMail site, there is a not spam button.  When I look at my spam mail using Thunderbird, I am seeing the GMail spam folder because I don’t run one in my e-mail program, there is no not spam option in the e-mail program itself.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 8:53 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Messages Being Marked As Spam - What You Can Do #adminnotice

I mark the e-mail messages as “not spam” from my E-mail client, because they seem to go right back into spam if I mark them from the gmail web interface.  Don’t ask me why.  This is pure speculation, but maybe the feedback loop works better when created from an E-mail client.

Louise

Pamela Dominguez

I think windows live mail has a spam folder, but when I got on gmail, it used the gmail spam folder instead.  Pam.

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 10:07 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Messages Being Marked As Spam - What You Can Do #adminnotice

My guess is that you aren’t doing anything that affects GMail when you do this in the client.  Mhy guess is that your program is running a spam filter and you are telling the program itself not to place the message in the program’s spam folder. 

When I am on the GMail site, there is a not spam button.  When I look at my spam mail using Thunderbird, I am seeing the GMail spam folder because I don’t run one in my e-mail program, there is no not spam option in the e-mail program itself.

Gene

Louise

AVG logo

This email has been checked for viruses by AVG antivirus software.
www.avg.com

On Mon, Sep 27, 2021 at 10:07 PM, Gene wrote:
-
Gene,

It depends on the e-mail client and how it interacts with Gmail (or any server, really).  Some send the request to the server, and the moving happens on the server side and gets synchronized back to the client, while others do it locally having zero impact on the server side.

When it comes to Gmail, because of the above, I tend to use the webmail interface when it comes to filtering as I know that whatever is set up on Gmail's server will carry over to any email client that connects to it, while the reverse is not necessarily true.

I can't explain what's going on with Louise, unless her email client of choice has its own spam filter (much like Thunderbird's junk filter) that's post-processing everything that comes in.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Jackie

I use the GMail interface, and I don't recall *ever* having a
groups.io message in my spam folder. I wonder what would cause that,
as groups.io has all its dns records in place & its reputation is
beyond stellar.

On 9/27/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@gmail.com> wrote:

My guess is that you aren’t doing anything that affects GMail when you do
this in the client.  Mhy guess is that your program is running a spam
filter and you are telling the program itself not to place the message in
the program’s spam folder.
-
Gene,

It depends on the e-mail client and how it interacts with Gmail (or any
server, really).  Some send the request to the server, and the moving
happens on the server side and gets synchronized back to the client, while
others do it locally having zero impact on the server side.

When it comes to Gmail, because of the above, I tend to use the webmail
interface when it comes to filtering as I know that whatever is set up on
Gmail's server will carry over to any email client that connects to it,
while the reverse is not necessarily true.

I can't explain what's going on with Louise, unless her email client of
choice has its own spam filter (much like Thunderbird's junk filter) that's
post-processing everything that comes in.
--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and
conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 12:06 AM, Jackie wrote:
I wonder what would cause that,
beyond stellar.
-
I use Gmail and have never had a Groups.io message marked as spam, either.

But my original message was not focused on Gmail, nor is this one other than mentioning it.

Virtually every e-mail service now has feedback loops built in where, when someone marks a message as spam, that information is sent back to the email service provider and they use this to tweak their spam filters.  Some are much more discriminating about how this is done than others are and, for some, all it takes is a very few spam reports for something to suddenly become classified on the server side as spam.

I was active in the Groups.io beta group (now quite a misnomer, but it still exists) and it was (and from what I can tell, remains) a constant battle to prevent groups.io messages from being spam trapped at times for who knows what reason.  But Mark Fletcher, the site owner, was constantly having to contact providers about this.  And what was weirder is that even after he did, and they removed the filter, many did not permanently whitelist the groups.io domain, which they should have.

It is impossible for a subscription service to spam you (and I don't count if someone were spoofing groups.io addresses, which is a separate issue).  If you must subscribe to a group/list to get messages, they are, by definition, not spam.  You requested them, and you can terminate them at will.  Domains like groups.io and freelists.org and similar should be whitelisted by major email providers for this reason, and are, at least by some.

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gene

I wonder if GMail marks messages as spam in this way.  I receive two newsletters that, now and then, are sent to the spam folder.  But even though this may happen once or twice a month, I have never had any interruptions in receiving the newsletters.  This may be an advantage in using Google, that it will send messages to their spam folder, but it may be that they don't mark them in any way except internally.

Gene

On 9/28/2021 10:26 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 12:06 AM, Jackie wrote:
I wonder what would cause that,
beyond stellar.
-
I use Gmail and have never had a Groups.io message marked as spam, either.

But my original message was not focused on Gmail, nor is this one other than mentioning it.

Virtually every e-mail service now has feedback loops built in where, when someone marks a message as spam, that information is sent back to the email service provider and they use this to tweak their spam filters.  Some are much more discriminating about how this is done than others are and, for some, all it takes is a very few spam reports for something to suddenly become classified on the server side as spam.

I was active in the Groups.io beta group (now quite a misnomer, but it still exists) and it was (and from what I can tell, remains) a constant battle to prevent groups.io messages from being spam trapped at times for who knows what reason.  But Mark Fletcher, the site owner, was constantly having to contact providers about this.  And what was weirder is that even after he did, and they removed the filter, many did not permanently whitelist the groups.io domain, which they should have.

It is impossible for a subscription service to spam you (and I don't count if someone were spoofing groups.io addresses, which is a separate issue).  If you must subscribe to a group/list to get messages, they are, by definition, not spam.  You requested them, and you can terminate them at will.  Domains like groups.io and freelists.org and similar should be whitelisted by major email providers for this reason, and are, at least by some.

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

On Tue, Sep 28, 2021 at 11:38 AM, Gene wrote:
I wonder if GMail marks messages as spam in this way. 
-
In what way?  [That's a serious question.]

The only way I know of, these days, is that a message gets marked and placed in a the spam folder.  Unmarking it moves it back to the inbox as part of that process.  This isn't Gmail specific.

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

Not always. I have had messages go right back into my spam folder when marking them as not spam  within 30 seconds or so. It  depends on what email client you are using. Mine is a bit aggressive.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Louise Pfau
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 6:54 PM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

Louise

Sarah k Alawami

Not always. I have had my clients move messages right back to spam after marking messages as not spam in gmail’s web interface. This does not happen all the time, but when it does, it’s annoying. And don’t get me started with outlook.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Monday, September 27, 2021 8:55 PM

-
Gene,

It depends on the e-mail client and how it interacts with Gmail (or any server, really).  Some send the request to the server, and the moving happens on the server side and gets synchronized back to the client, while others do it locally having zero impact on the server side.

When it comes to Gmail, because of the above, I tend to use the webmail interface when it comes to filtering as I know that whatever is set up on Gmail's server will carry over to any email client that connects to it, while the reverse is not necessarily true.

I can't explain what's going on with Louise, unless her email client of choice has its own spam filter (much like Thunderbird's junk filter) that's post-processing everything that comes in.
--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

I have seen email marked as spam  from groups.io in my gmail’s spam folder, it’s rare, but annoying when it does happen. I just remove the spam label and hope it does not go back.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian Vogel
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 8:41 AM

-

The only way I know of, these days, is that a message gets marked and placed in a the spam folder.  Unmarking it moves it back to the inbox as part of that process.  This isn't Gmail specific.

--

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Gene

I mean that evidently, many e-mail providers send some sort of notice back to the source of the messages.  But since I have no interruptions of service when something I receive on an ongoing basis is marked as spam by GMail, it may be marked as spam only internally with no indication sent back to the source.

Gene

-----Original message-----
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 10:41 AM

-

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

Maybe, one never knows with gmail and or other providers.

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 8:54 AM

I mean that evidently, many e-mail providers send some sort of notice back to the source of the messages.  But since I have no interruptions of service when something I receive on an ongoing basis is marked as spam by GMail, it may be marked as spam only internally with no indication sent back to the source.

Gene

-----Original message-----

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 10:41 AM

-

--

Brian - Windows 10, 64-Bit, Version 21H1, Build 19043  

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

tim

Must not of looked to hard.

In TB go to the message that is marded as spam in the spam folder.

Now hit your application key or shift+f10 for the context menu and arrow down to mark, right arrow and down arrow to "NOT SPAM" hit enter and your done.

On 9/27/2021 10:07 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Louise

Gene

I looked in the context menu and found nothing earlier.  Perhaps you see what you are reporting if you have the Thunderbird spam filter in the program turned on and a message ends up in the Thunderbird spam filter.  I never use the filter in the program itself and I see nothing such as you report. 

Gene

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 11:27 AM

Must not of looked to hard.

In TB go to the message that is marded as spam in the spam folder.

Now hit your application key or shift+f10 for the context menu and arrow down to mark, right arrow and down arrow to "NOT SPAM" hit enter and your done.

On 9/27/2021 10:07 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

Louise

Pamela Dominguez

I get them in there all the time. I have no idea how gmail decides something is spam. Pam.

Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2021 12:06 AM

beyond stellar.

this in the client. Mhy guess is that your program is running a spam
-
Gene,

server, really). Some send the request to the server, and the moving

--

conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

--
Subscribe to a WordPress for Newbies Mailing List by sending a message to:
wp4newbs-request@freelists.org with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by
visiting the list page at http://www.freelists.org/list/wp4newbs
& check out my sites at www.brightstarsweb.com & www.mysitesbeenhacked.com

--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com

Gene

Because you get groups.io messages in your GMail spam folder but you haven't been unsubscribed, that strengthens my suspicion that GMail doesn't report messages it marks as spam to the source of the message.  If true, this may save group members considerable trouble.

Gene

On 9/28/2021 12:06 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:
I get them in there all the time.  I have no idea how gmail decides something is spam.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Jackie

beyond stellar.

-
Gene,

--

conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.

Sarah k Alawami

I think if you hit the delete key from the spam folder, it might unsubscribe you, I'm not sure. There was a huge discussion in that regard 2 years ago but I remember not how it went. And, most of us were on Gmail if I recall.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. .

For more info go to our website. . to subscribe to the feed click here

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on youtube, twitch and odysee. Thanks Restream staff.

Videos of some of our podcasts can be found on odysee

You can support the podcast by subscribing via the tip jar. You will get early access episodes plus no adds. If you cannot do that, then leave a 5 star rating on our podcast using your podcast directory's rating system.

On 28 Sep 2021, at 10:28, Gene wrote:

Because you get groups.io messages in your GMail spam folder but you haven't been unsubscribed, that strengthens my suspicion that GMail doesn't report messages it marks as spam to the source of the message.  If true, this may save group members considerable trouble.

Gene

On 9/28/2021 12:06 PM, Pamela Dominguez wrote:

I get them in there all the time.  I have no idea how gmail decides something is spam.  Pam.

-----Original Message----- From: Jackie

beyond stellar.

On 9/27/21, Brian Vogel <britechguy@...> wrote:

-
Gene,

--

conscientious stupidity.

~Martin Luther King, Jr.