Microsoft Edge Suddenly Less Accessible with NVDA

Rich DeSteno

I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

--
Rich De Steno

Gene

They don't sound like NVDA changes to me.  You should have been notified if NVDA was updating.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 11:12 AM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

Lino Morales <linomorales001@...>

Mort importantly Edge will inform you if their is an update. I've not experienced said behavior using NVDA and that other screen reader.

On 1/15/2022 1:07 PM, Gene wrote:
They don't sound like NVDA changes to me.  You should have been notified if NVDA was updating.

Gene

On 1/15/2022 11:12 AM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

Ron Canazzi

Hi Rich,

I don't have any of these issues using NVDA latest version and latest Edge browser. Could it be an add on causing this issue for you?

On 1/15/2022 12:12 PM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

--
Signature:

Hi everyone,

No, this is not an add-on issue. I just tried searching for something with Google via Edge 97 and received a traceback that ends with COM error, and the traceback does not point to add-on code (if it did, a code fragment from the add-on will be printed).

It turns out switching to Chrome might not be a good idea at this time - I tried the same thing with Chrome and received the same COM error traceback. In fact, NV Access is aware of this issue that began when Chromium 97 based browsers hit the stable channel as shown in the following NVDA issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13223

Therefore, I can tell you all that you are not alone.

Cheers,

Joseph

Ron Canazzi

Hi Joseph,

I am not experiencing this issue. I just did a google search and everything functioned as it should.
Here is my version number: Microsoft EdgeVersion 97.0.1072.62 (Official build) (64-bit)
Also it says I am up to date.

On 1/15/2022 7:32 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi everyone,

No, this is not an add-on issue. I just tried searching for something with Google via Edge 97 and received a traceback that ends with COM error, and the traceback does not point to add-on code (if it did, a code fragment from the add-on will be printed).

It turns out switching to Chrome might not be a good idea at this time - I tried the same thing with Chrome and received the same COM error traceback. In fact, NV Access is aware of this issue that began when Chromium 97 based browsers hit the stable channel as shown in the following NVDA issue: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/13223

Therefore, I can tell you all that you are not alone.

Cheers,

Joseph

--
Signature:

enes sarıbaş

Hi,
I am experiencing this. But differently from description, for me when I type anything into the search box I get the NVDA error sound on alpha, and can't get anything in said search box to read.

On 1/15/2022 8:51 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
[...]

Mário Navarro

hi.

Yes, this happens to me too.
With jaws, this issue stops being real.
Cheers.

Às 17:12 de 15/01/2022, Rich DeSteno escreveu:

I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

mehmet çetin

hello, when this plugin is installed, the insert n key combination does not work, so the NVDA settings menu does not open.

Às 17:12 de 15/01/2022, Rich DeSteno escreveu:
I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently. Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents. I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA. Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

tim

Try going through the settings and make sure they are what you want.

Because they have made updates to edge.

On 1/15/2022 12:12 PM, Rich DeSteno wrote:
I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch to Google Chrome?

Arlene

Same here, I’m using the latest version of NVDA, JFW 2021 on this windows ten computer!

Sent from Mail for Windows

Às 17:12 de 15/01/2022, Rich DeSteno escreveu:

> I have been using the current version of NVDA with the current version

> of Microsoft Edge on both Windows 10 and 11 with great success until

> recently.  Within the last few days, NVDA will no longer read the

> search term that I type in the search edit field. Also, when I press

> the Space Bar on a compressed listing of what other people ask, the

> contents open in a new window, so I must alt-tab to the other window

> to read the contents.  I assume these changes are either related to

> changes in Edge or NVDA.  Is anyone else aware of this or whether

> these problems will be corrected, or should I just give up and switch

> to Google Chrome?

Shawn

Search boxes like google have been becoming unreadable lately with Brave as well at times. The trick is to resize the window maximize or restore and it comes back until next time.

Shawn Klein

Sent from Mail for Windows