Microsoft is Killing Skype Classic on September 1 -

Tyler Wood

Lol.

I remember 3.8 had 8 k audio all the time. It has been forever since quality has gone that low on skype for me *since* Microsoft bought it.

Go mobile, even on relatively good LTE, and team talk audio is so bad you can't use it. It takes nothing to make you break up whereas team speak has such a huge buffer you could probably talk in a stereo channel on satellite. Very latent, but doable. I have played around with the transmit interval on team talk to no avail.

I use zoom for work, but have yet to be mobile with it so am curious on how it will handle that. I have a lot of rural areas that get excellent HSPA coverage which should be more than enough for any audio communication, yet team talk struggles like crazy. Frustrating.

On 16-Jul-2018 2:15 PM, Lino Morales wrote:

Well I use Skype and TT on my PC not in a mobile environment due to a Android phone that has 8 GB of memory. I do 99.9 percent of my stuff on said PC with a 200 MBPS download speed on my Spectrum connection. Skype technologies SA should never should have sold their souls to the devil AKA MS. V 4.X had great audio. MS broke it.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io

On 16/07/2018, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov

--
Facebook:elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Antony Stone

You say that you use a hotspot with your computers sometimes, but that you
wouldn't use it for talking, because that uses a lot of data (and that is
presumably expensive).

It may be cheaper than you think. I don't know what sort of mobile tariff you
have, but a typical pay-as-you-go example in the UK is from Three, who charge
3p per minute for calls, 2p per text message, and 1p per megabyte of data.

Voice codecs used for telephony use no more than 100 kilobits per second of
data - that's about 10 kilobytes per second. So, Three's 1p per megabyte of
data will buy you 100 seconds of talk time, which works out considerably
cheaper than paying 3p per minute for a standard mobile voice call.

I suggest you look at the tariff you get from your mobile provider and work out
what a minute's work of voice-over-data would actually cost you before simply
dismissing it as being too expensive.

Antony.

On Monday 16 July 2018 at 21:42:45, Eleni Vamvakari wrote:

[...]

Schrödinger's rule of data integrity: the condition of any backup is unknown
until a restore is attempted.

Please reply to the list;
please *don't* CC me.

Sarah k Alawami

Yes you can transfer files. It is called i think send files and media. I do’t need high quality sound to do my job. As long as I can understand my students, I’m good.

On Jul 16, 2018, at 12:14 PM, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@...> wrote:

I think that one important feature is to have file transferring available.
Glenn

7/microsoft-killing-skype-classic-september-1

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

Hmmm, can you download hangouts?

I have leard about it, as for skype, if they would just improve it then well.

Cooblindtech use hangouts for podcasting and its not to bad.

wrote:

I think that one important feature is to have file transferring
available.
Glenn

7/microsoft-killing-skype-classic-september-1

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

This is a serious question from someone who is aware of Skype, and dabbled with it, but never adopted it for regular use:   Why is this such an issue?

It doesn't just seem to me, but it's been confirmed here, that there are many alternatives to Skype many of which are accessible.  It will also be interesting to see what UI interface changes occur, particularly with regard to accessibility, with Skype 8.0.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Steve Nutt

I know and I just got the update. It's pretty horrible.

All the best

Steve