Microsoft is Killing Skype Classic on September 1 -

I decided to play around with the Skype Win10 App [version 12.1815.210.0] this morning and, on the whole, it seems (to me - big proviso there) to be accessible.

I can land on all major controls, most have keyboard shortcuts, and I'm getting back and forth content in a single text messaging thread read back by NVDA.

If anyone wants to play around with Skype in the Win10 App version to try to figure things out let me know.  In combination with Quick Assist to let me see what's happening on the other end it's likely that the interface can be figured out, as I've seen much, much worse in terms of access to controls, lack of labels for same, etc.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Gene New Zealand <hurrikennyandopo@...>

Hi

If skype 8 for desk top is what i am seeing now it is very similar to the web version of skype for web.

Gene nz

On 7/18/2018 3:07 AM, Brian Vogel wrote:
I decided to play around with the Skype Win10 App [version 12.1815.210.0] this morning and, on the whole, it seems (to me - big proviso there) to be accessible.

I can land on all major controls, most have keyboard shortcuts, and I'm getting back and forth content in a single text messaging thread read back by NVDA.

If anyone wants to play around with Skype in the Win10 App version to try to figure things out let me know.  In combination with Quick Assist to let me see what's happening on the other end it's likely that the interface can be figured out, as I've seen much, much worse in terms of access to controls, lack of labels for same, etc.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

I don't need skype for what I do, its a pitty its going like this, I may eventually come back, but yeah, the new model seems that sighted just accept it and move with it.

Nothing can stay the same but still.

On 7/17/2018 11:37 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Yes its been all over the access areas for a couple of days. I got rid of it a while back. it was just so often  knackered by apparently simple updates even in the xp days that I ran out of patience with the Skype writers, and sadly Microsofts record has been no better.
Brian

bglists@blueyonder.co.uk
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah k Alawami" <marrie12@gmail.com>
*From:*nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io><nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>> on behalf of Joshua Hendrickson
<louvins@gmail.com <mailto:louvins@gmail.com>> *sent:*Monday,
July
16, 2018 2:36:56 PM *To:*nvda@nvda.groups.io
<mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io>
September
1 -
I am not exactly a fan of the new version of skype. If I can figure
out how to invite multiple people to a skype call, that would be
great. However, I can use this new version of skype ok. Granted,
I do not like it as well as 7.4, but I can use it.

On 7/16/18, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov
<mailto:glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov>> wrote:
What ever happened to Microsoft Net Meeting?
I used to use that on days of dial-up and Windows 98.
Glenn

From:nvda@nvda.groups.io
7/Microsoft-killing-skype-classic-September-1

--
Facebook:elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Brian K. Lingard

Dear Eleni & List:

GW Connect quit working quite some time ago when they removed the underlying API of Skype.
Brian

7/Microsoft-killing-skype-classic-September -1

--
Facebook:elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Hmmm hold on, moterrola still make keyboarded phones?

are these android or what, what models and what is the access like?

What is blackberry access like.

On 7/19/2018 2:44 PM, Brian K. Lingard wrote:
Dear Eleni & List:

You do not have to use a touch screen to have a smart Phone.

Motorola makes smart phones with an actual keypad and so does Blackberry.
Brian

7/Microsoft-killing-skype-classic-September-1

--
Facebook:elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

.

Ervin, Glenn

Also, there are a couple devices that are like a case for your phone with a spin dial and the like so one does not have to use gestures.
Glenn

You do not have to use a touch screen to have a smart Phone.

Motorola makes smart phones with an actual keypad and so does Blackberry.
Brian

7/Microsoft-killing-skype-classic-September-1

--
Facebook:elvam2167@gmail.com <mailto:elvam2167@gmail.com>

anyaudio.net <http://anyaudio.net/>: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

--
Joshua Hendrickson

Joshua Hendrickson

--
Facebook: elvam2167@gmail.com

anyaudio.net: elvam2167

Skype: elvam2167

Eleni Vamvakari

After the API stoped working, there was a patch which solved that
problem, and it worked for a long time. Unfortunately, it no longer
does. Anyway, I didn't realise that Motorola made phones with
keyboards. Are thse qwerty or just regular keypads as on a normal
phone? I have a Kyocera Rally with real buttons, but it's just alike
a phone, so I strictly use it to make and to receive calls, and to
check the menus for missed calls and so on. I know that the
Blackberry has some kind of touch-activated keyboard, where merely
sliding your finger on the keys activates certain things. I'm not
sure if that feature can be disabled. It also lacks the most basic
ability of moving by line or sentence with the arrow keys. Instead,
you must use the touchscreen to perform that function. At least,
these things were true when I read about them last year. They may
have changed by now.

On 19/07/2018, Ervin, Glenn <glenn.ervin@nebraska.gov> wrote:
[...]

When you open Skype 8, NVDA treats it just like a normal web page. So if you can navigate the web using NVDA, then you can navigate around the interface of the new Skype 8 as well.

P. Otter

yes, most of the things are possible.
but how can I answer an incoming call, alt pgup don't work and how can i activate the hotkeys for skype?
for example, in a list i see, ctrl e, sometimes it works but some times not then the connection keeps open.
but in the list i see ctrl e is stop connection.
i'm curious!
cheers
paul otter

Op 21-7-2018 om 05:45 schreef Supanut Leepaisomboon:

When you open Skype 8, NVDA treats it just like a normal web page. So if you can navigate the web using NVDA, then you can navigate around the interface of the new Skype 8 as well.

Edited

You actually brought up the point that I forgot to bring up in my last message lol.
Anyways, I'm not sure as well; and I think the lack of keyboard shortcuts is probably my biggest complaints about the new Skype (I remember someone posted a link to a list of Skype keyboard shortcuts somewhere, but can't remember exactly where it is or whether it's for Skype 7 or 8).
Update: Here's the official list of Skype 8 hotkeys: https://support.skype.com/en/faq/FA12025/what-are-hotkeys-and-how-do-i-use-them-in-skype

Cristóbal

Answering is control plus shift plus P.

but how can I answer an incoming call, alt pgup don't work and how can i activate the hotkeys for skype?
for example, in a list i see, ctrl e, sometimes it works but some times not then the connection keeps open.
but in the list i see ctrl e is stop connection.
i'm curious!
cheers
paul otter

Op 21-7-2018 om 05:45 schreef Supanut Leepaisomboon:

When you open Skype 8, NVDA treats it just like a normal web page. So if you can navigate the web using NVDA, then you can navigate around the interface of the new Skype 8 as well.

P. Otter

are you realy sure, the hotkey to answer a call is similar with the key to start an audiocall?

cheers
paul otter

Op 21-7-2018 om 19:23 schreef Cristóbal:

Answering is control plus shift plus P.

but how can I answer an incoming call, alt pgup don't work and how can i activate the hotkeys for skype?
for example, in a list i see, ctrl e, sometimes it works but some times not then the connection keeps open.
but in the list i see ctrl e is stop connection.
i'm curious!
cheers
paul otter

Op 21-7-2018 om 05:45 schreef Supanut Leepaisomboon:

When you open Skype 8, NVDA treats it just like a normal web page. So if you can navigate the web using NVDA, then you can navigate around the interface of the new Skype 8 as well.

Cristóbal

Yes. I wasn’t at first since it wasn’t listed in the shortcut table, but indeed, you can answer an incoming call with this command. You have to be in the Skype window for any of the commands to work though. Inconvenient to say the least.

On Sun, Jul 22, 2018 at 01:57 PM, Cristóbal wrote:
You have to be in the Skype window for any of the commands to work though. Inconvenient to say the least.
I'm shocked to hear that it ever worked any other way (and I believe what you've said).   That violates virtually every "rule" Windows (any version) ever had about focus and how it determines what process/program gets what keystrokes.

I believe that JAWS and NVDA both have some mechanism that if you start Skype first (or second through something like fifth or sixth) that there's a keyboard shortcut to throw focus to open program #X on the taskbar.  Were I constantly using Skype under the current circumstances I'd probably force it to open in position number 1 so that it's easy to throw focus to without needing to ALT+TAB to get to it.  I don't have my reference materials handy so I may be just making this up, but I don't think so.

           ~ Richard Dehmel

Cristóbal

Yup. Alt plus pg-dn or pg-up worked anywhere on the machine. All you had to do was enable the hotkeys in Skype options somewhere around the accessibility section and presto.

Now . . . it’s unfortunately not so. Why roll back this function? Who knows.