Topics

Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 02:47 PM, Orlando Enrique Fiol wrote:
But I want to edit the bookmark name before I save it, not afterward, since I won't be able to find my bookmark if I don't know what Chrome automatically named it.
Which I already told you can be done, and is he first thing you land in as far as an edit box goes, when creating a bookmark.  Every browser acts this way, picking a default name based on the URL or webpage title, but allowing you to change it.

You can also rearrange your hierarchy at will, though that does require some use of keyboard commands for drag and drop if you intend to move large batches, such as those imported from another browser at install time, at once.

If you need to know how to do something please ask, and it's almost certain that someone here can and will tell you.

What irritated me is making assertions about Chrome, or any web browser, that anyone who's used web browsers for years knows is simply not so.

Chrome and Firefox both are highly accessible, as are most of the derivatives created by the code bases used for each of those.

          ~ Saul Bellow, To Jerusalem and Back

Gene

Are you assuming you can't change the name because Chrome says bookmark added before you edit anything?  I seldom add new bookmarks in Chrome but I experimented.  If I use control d to add one, Chrome says bookmark added but I am still on the edit field where I can change the name.  It wasn't announced as an edit field for some reason with NVDA.  I don't know what other screen-readers would do.  I tried typing and I was able to change the name as in any standard edit field.

That's an example of looking around an not assuming what your screen-reader says is always relevant.  Somewhere, Chrome says bookmark added but that is misleading and it hasn't been actually saved yet.  If something seems wrong, look around.

As far as finding a book mark after you save it even if you don't know the name, if you know what folder it is saved in, it is the first bookmark at the end of the list.  If you are in the list and up arrow, it will be the first one.  I don't work enough with book marks in Chrome to discuss specifying a folder much but I can tell you a little if you want to know.

I can't answer the other questions about how to move all bookmarks to one folder, etc.  But creating bookmarks in Chrome is similar to doing so in other browsers.

Sent: Sunday, February 10, 2019 8:34 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Microsoft's Own Security Chief Says: STOP using Internet Explorer

At 07:28 PM 2/10/2019, Brian Vogel wrote:
 >Oh, puhleeeze.  There isn't a browser in existence that doesn't allow
 >you to set, and later edit your bookmark names.  This is just common sense.
 >CTRL+SHIFT+O brings up the Chrome Bookmarks Manager and you can easily
 >change the current names assigned.  Bringing up the context menu in
 >Bookmarks Manager when you're sitting on a bookmark gives Edit as the
 >first choice.  You can set the name to anything you wish at creation
 >time right in the edit box presented and it's the first thing you land on.

That's all very good. But I want to edit the
bookmark name before I save it, not afterward,
since I won't be able to find my bookmark if I
don't know what Chrome automatically named it.
Also, I'd like to move all my Internet Explorer
favorites in Chrome from the Imported from IE
directory to the root of wherever Chrome stores
favorites. AI want all my favorites sorted into
the directories I assigned them, not grouped by
the browser from which they were imported.
Thanks,
Orlando

J.G

Hello,

When we talk about IE and FF/Chrome, we should not forget IE's management of RSS feeds. as I know this is the best implementation of this feature so far. Chrome has never had this feature implemented, FF has removed it "live bookmarks" since version 63 and I still haven't found an addon, which could worked well as I expected.
Any advice or should I use IE for reading RSS feeds?

thanks.

kind regards, Jožef

well waterfox still can handle that.

Em 11/02/2019 22:25, J.G escreveu:
Any advice or should I use IE for reading RSS feeds?

Have you ever tried using Thunderbird? That's what I use and it's quite good for me. Maybe you should give it a try as well.

Cheers,

Cristóbal

I always recommend The Old Reader for RSS. It’s web based and fully accessible.

There are free as well as paid options. I choose to pay for the extra services as well as to support them. I’m grandfathered in at a $2.00 a month price for up to 500 feeds, but I think it may now be $2.50 or maybe $3.00 a month. I’m not sure.

The Old Reader can also sync with various mobile apps if you’ve got an Android or iOS device.

Cristóbal

Any advice or should I use IE for reading RSS feeds?

Have you ever tried using Thunderbird? That's what I use and it's quite good for me. Maybe you should give it a try as well.

Cheers,

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 03:37 PM 2/11/2019, Gene wrote:
Are you assuming you can't change the name because Chrome says
bookmark added before you edit anything?
That's exactly what I unfortunately assumed.

I seldom add new bookmarks
in Chrome but I experimented. If I use control d to add one, Chrome
says bookmark added but I am still on the edit field where I can
change the name. It wasn't announced as an edit field for some reason
with NVDA. I don't know what other screen-readers would do.
JAWS doesn't let me know I'm in an edit field either.

I tried typing and I was able to change the name as in any
standard edit field.
That's an example of looking around an not assuming what your
screen-reader says is always relevant. Somewhere, Chrome says
bookmark added but that is misleading and it hasn't been actually
saved yet. If something seems wrong, look around.
I tend to do that, but that one passed me by.

As far as finding a book mark after you save it even if you don't know
the name, if you know what folder it is saved in, it is the first
bookmark at the end of the list. If you are in the list and up arrow,
it will be the first one. I don't work enough with book marks in
Chrome to discuss specifying a folder much but I can tell you a little
if you want to know.
Can you specify a folder for a bookmark? I of course wouldn't want my IE bookmarks separated from the ones I make in Chrome, since their directory structures would be intentionally identical.

I can't answer the other questions about how to move all bookmarks to
one folder, etc. But creating bookmarks in Chrome is similar to doing
so in other browsers.
That's very good to know.

Orlando Enrique Fiol

Orlando Enrique Fiol

At 07:28 PM 2/10/2019, Brian Vogel wrote:
Oh, puhleeeze. There isn't a browser in existence that doesn't allow
you to set, and later edit your bookmark names. This is just common sense.
CTRL+SHIFT+O brings up the Chrome Bookmarks Manager and you can easily
change the current names assigned. Bringing up the context menu in
Bookmarks Manager when you're sitting on a bookmark gives Edit as the
first choice. You can set the name to anything you wish at creation
time right in the edit box presented and it's the first thing you land on.

That's all very good. But I want to edit the bookmark name before I save it, not afterward, since I won't be able to find my bookmark if I don't know what Chrome automatically named it.
Also, I'd like to move all my Internet Explorer favorites in Chrome from the Imported from IE directory to the root of wherever Chrome stores favorites. AI want all my favorites sorted into the directories I assigned them, not grouped by the browser from which they were imported.
Thanks,
Orlando

Ejaz Shah

I use Livemarks extension for Firefox. It restores the RSS live bookmark support to Firefox.

On 12/02/2019 5:25 am, J.G wrote:
Hello,

When we talk about IE and FF/Chrome, we should not forget IE's management of RSS feeds. as I know this is the best implementation of this feature so far. Chrome has never had this feature implemented, FF has removed it "live bookmarks" since version 63 and I still haven't found an addon, which could worked well as I expected.
Any advice or should I use IE for reading RSS feeds?

thanks.

kind regards, Jožef

Gene

When you start to make a bookmark, if you tab once from the name field, you get to a field where you can specify the folder the bookmark will be saved in.  I don't remember if it is identified as a combo box, but that is how it functions.
Up and down arrow through the choices.  If you want to add the book mark to the Internet Explorer folder, stop on that folder.  Don't press enter because I'm not sure what that would do.  You can experiment and see if you wish.
If you shift tab back to the name field and press enter, the book mark will be saved in the specified folder.

You may change the name of the bookmark whenever you want, before or after you specify the folder.

Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2019 1:29 AM

At 03:37 PM 2/11/2019, Gene wrote:
 >Are you assuming you can't change the name because Chrome says
 >bookmark added before you edit anything?

That's exactly what I unfortunately assumed.

 >I seldom add new bookmarks
 >in Chrome but I experimented.  If I use control d to add one, Chrome
 >says bookmark added but I am still on the edit field where I can
 >change the name.  It wasn't announced as an edit field for some reason
 >with NVDA.  I don't know what other screen-readers would do.

JAWS doesn't let me know I'm in an edit field either.

 >I tried  typing and I was able to change the name as in any
standard edit field.
 >That's an example of looking around an not assuming what your
 >screen-reader says is always relevant.  Somewhere, Chrome says
 >bookmark added but that is misleading and it hasn't been actually
 >saved yet.  If something seems wrong, look around.

I tend to do that, but that one passed me by.

As far as finding a book mark after you save it even if you don't know
 >the name, if you know what folder it is saved in, it is the first
 >bookmark at the end of the list.  If you are in the list and up arrow,
 >it will be the first one.  I don't work enough with book marks in
 >Chrome to discuss specifying a folder much but I can tell you a little
 >if you want to know.

Can you specify a folder for a bookmark? I of course wouldn't want my
IE bookmarks separated from the ones I make in Chrome, since their
directory structures would be intentionally identical.

 >I can't answer the other questions about how to move all bookmarks to
 >one folder, etc.  But creating bookmarks in Chrome is similar to doing
 >so in other browsers.

That's very good to know.

Orlando Enrique Fiol