microsoft says that there is a bug in the edge brouser

Brian Sackrider

I just got a call from microsoft about my opend case and their enginers and they said that there is a bug in edge thats why screen readers are not reading the context menu.  They will call me when they have a fix for the problem.  The problem is with edge so reinstalling my windows would not have fixt the problem.  When the problem is with other users it's not a problem with my windows so I chould not have been told toreinstall my windows. If theproblem would have been only with my windows and no one elses then I might have to reinstall my windows.     windows   Running the nvda com redigistery fixing tool would not have fixt the problem.  The problem was a bug in edge so nothing I would have done would have fixt the problem.  The problem is not always with the userit is on their end.

Brian Sackrider.

Gene

You often get better help from lists like this one than from support staff.

In the current example, it became clear from discussion on the list that the problem is a bug, probably either in Windows or Edge and not in NVDA.  Many people investigated the problem who are list members and this or that work around was presented.

The disability service is not the department at Microsoft that invewstigates and fixes accessibility problems.  They are unlikely to have known about the problem since it was new.

Later, as the problem was investigated by Microsoft, a fix would have been known and implemented in either Windows or Edge by the department responsible for implementing accessibility.

I’m not saying that the person you spoke to took the right approach.  I think that, when you reported that this was a problem many others experienced, the person should have investigated and made no recommendations before doing so.

Having said that, I hope this experience gives you an understanding of when using the disability service is reasonably likely to benefit you and when it is unlikely.

Gene.

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 03:22 PM, Gene wrote:
it became clear from discussion on the list that the problem is a bug, probably either in Windows or Edge and not in NVDA.
-
Days ago.  And the workaround, for the moment, is to use an alternative browser.  And the list of alternatives for those using Edge is immense.

This is not a show stopper as far as being able to get your work done or just browsing the web.  Bugs happen, fixes happen, and between the two it's often necessary to use workarounds.

If you liked Edge then you'll be perfectly comfortable with Google Chrome, Brave, Vivaldi, or any of a number of other Chromium-based browsers.

      ~ Brian Vogel

Well at least they admit there is a problem.

Since edge is on the chromium brouser, the fix will be in the next update.

Edge updates every time chrome updates unless its an out of band update that goes out.

You will get an update either on patch tuesday, or within a week or maybe a little later.

I had the same situation with office and after lenghthy conversations with microsoft got told by the enginiers that I'd get an update at the end of the week.

So you may get the same deal.

On 30/06/2021 6:59 am, Brian Sackrider wrote:
I just got a call from microsoft about my opend case and their enginers and they said that there is a bug in edge thats why screen readers are not reading the context menu.  They will call me when they have a fix for the problem.  The problem is with edge so reinstalling my windows would not have fixt the problem.  When the problem is with other users it's not a problem with my windows so I chould not have been told toreinstall my windows. If theproblem would have been only with my windows and no one elses then I might have to reinstall my windows.     windows   Running the nvda com redigistery fixing tool would not have fixt the problem.  The problem was a bug in edge so nothing I would have done would have fixt the problem.  The problem is not always with the userit is on their end.

Brian Sackrider.

.

Ron Canazzi

Hi Brian,

Did you try my work around to get the context menu to read?  It involved going into edit mode and tabbing to the desired link and then right clicking and/or if you want the basic context menu such as: back, forward, source and so on, then move to a blank area of the screen and switch to edit mode and right click.  This while a bit clumsy, does work for me.

--
Signature:

Louise Pfau

I've found that if you press ENTER after pressing the APPLICATIONS key to access the context menu on a download link for example, then the menu items will come up. The information is not originally reported. I suspect that the bug will be fixed now that the Microsoft engineering department is aware of it.

Louise

On Tue, Jun 29, 2021 at 05:40 PM, Ron Canazzi wrote:
This while a bit clumsy, does work for me.
-
Ron,

No, I did not, but that's because I don't depend on a screen reader.  I understand, perfectly, that it's different if you do.

Yours is another workaround, and it's a fine one if someone wants to use it.  I do know it would drive me crazy if using the screen reader and I'd far prefer to punt to an alternative browser, whether Firefox, or one of the Chromium-based ones, until the fix to Edge occurs, and you can be certain it will occur.

Regression bugs are a fact of life, and not only in the context of those who use screen readers.  It's precisely the reason that those of us who are technology teachers always say you must, not should, but must, have a "Plan B," even if you don't like it nearly as well as your usual "Plan A," so that if something breaks in Plan A you can keep working until that break is fixed.  And when it comes to web browsers in particular, there is no reason that anyone should end up being the proverbial "deer in the headlights" if their chosen browser breaks.  There are just too many very, very similar options these days, all of which are screen reader accessible.

      ~ Brian Vogel