Topics

Minor thing — NVDA and Windows Hello

Luke Robinett

My work laptop is running Windows 10 Pro and has Windows Hello enabled for face recognition at the logon screen. There are three messages spoken aloud as the system attempts to authenticate you: ”looking for you,” ”making sure it’s you” and ”hello (username).” NVDA repeats each of these three phrases exactly 3 times. Not a big deal and certainly doesn’t impede functionality, but obviously a bug so I thought I would share.

Gene

I wouldn't assume it’s a bug. Screen-readers function in complex environments and at times things happen that cause minor anomalies that don't matter. I suspect in this case, that the screen-reader is repeating because of something visual that is occurring such as the messages flashing on screen. It would be interesting to have a sighted person look at the screen and see if something that can be seen is causing the repeated behavior.

Gene

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:37 AM
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io
Subject: [nvda] Minor thing — NVDA and Windows Hello

My work laptop is running Windows 10 Pro and has Windows Hello enabled for face recognition at the logon screen. There are three messages spoken aloud as the system attempts to authenticate you: ”looking for you,” ”making sure it’s you” and ”hello (username).” NVDA repeats each of these three phrases exactly 3 times. Not a big deal and certainly doesn’t impede functionality, but obviously a bug so I thought I would share.

Hi,
I bet NVDA is handling all events at once for this situation. Fixing this is a bit hard:
1. This is hardware-specific: a system with an IR (infrared) camera must be required to troubleshoot this problem.
2. This requires troubleshooting secure screen code, as these messages are announced by login prompt window.
The thing is, I don't have an IR camera equipped system - my ThinkPad includes a fingerprint reader, which does allow Windows Hello to work.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 8:53 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] Minor thing — NVDA and Windows Hello

I wouldn't assume it’s a bug. Screen-readers function in complex environments and at times things happen that cause minor anomalies that don't matter. I suspect in this case, that the screen-reader is repeating because of something visual that is occurring such as the messages flashing on screen. It would be interesting to have a sighted person look at the screen and see if something that can be seen is causing the repeated behavior.

Gene
Sent: Thursday, July 16, 2020 10:37 AM
Subject: [nvda] Minor thing — NVDA and Windows Hello

rowen brian

My situation is exactly the same as yours