Sent: Monday, July 12, 2021 5:48 PM
Subject: [nvda] more about disabled addons

Hi list had a tough choice to make do I wait or install the update now.  Well not knowing how long to wait I installed now.  So basicly skype station playlist, remote teamtalk, and winamp don’t work so since it could me weeks or months before these are updated can anyone tell me what will happen or maybe not happen tomorrow night when I try to do a radio show. What will and won’t work.  Using winamp is out of course so what will happen with station playlist will I have to guess when a song ends will I read anything.  When will these extentions be ready.  I can’t believe you aren’t ready for an update.  Shouldn’t you update addons before NVDA update is ready should you be ready?  Very frustrating.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

At this point, I think it would be best to have everyone install Add-on Updater.

Cheers,

Joseph

Don H

When new versions of NVDA are under development is there any consideration taken to avoid breaking addons?

On 7/12/2021 6:22 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
At this point, I think it would be best to have everyone install Add-on Updater.
Cheers,
Joseph

Hi,

I used to provide compatibility information to add-on developers so they can prepare their add-ons. This happens early (during alpha phase) so people can plan ahead. The bulk of the compatibility discussion takes place shortly after beta 1 is released, at which point developers are encouraged to review their add-ons and make announcements.

As for the messaging from NV Access: according to latest wiki documentation, one release per year is designated backwards incompatible release. This is so developers can assess things such as dependencies and trends and make adjustments. This does result in add-ons needing to be updated, and for this reason, releases such as 2019.3 and 2021.1 include an extensive set of changes for developers in the what's new document. Based on discussions with NV Access and from within the add-ons community, NV Access and add-ons community encourages developers to keep track of changes and respond accordingly.

In case of my own add-ons, I prepare my add-ons during alpha phase. Although there is a risk of needing to adopt to changes faster, I feel at least it gives me a piece of mind, knowing that add-ons are good to go by the time beta 1 ships. This is why all add-ons I'm activley maintaining are compatible, and that's the reason why I sent out a notice about the future of my add-ons and upcoming nVDA releases last night.

I, too, share users' frustrations that your favorite add-ons are not working in NVDA 2021.1. I have advised the add-ons community to make a statement about it, and I'm sure NV Access will at some point to assure users.

Cheers,

Joseph

John Isige

For my part, the addons community is doing awesome work. It's just that there are some addons that are only incompatible because the versions aren't set correctly. I wouldn't necessarily expect anybody to do work on addons that really needed major work to update, although obviously we hope somebody in the community will take stuff over. But I feel like you could set up a pretty simple script to do version changes, and then test addons to see if they work, obviously the testing entails a bit of work. So I'm not so much complaining about a lack of addons, as I am suggesting that maybe a simple version change shouldn't require the original maintainer to be involved, particularly if they can't be contacted. Maybe I'm wrong and this is a lot more work than I think it is, hence why it's a suggestion.

On 7/12/2021 6:40 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:

[...]

Steve Wettlaufer

I would agree with that.  Add-on Updater is extremely handy.  Has there ever been talk of making it core functionality in NVDA itself?

Steve

On 2021-07-12 7:22 p.m., Joseph Lee wrote:

Hi,

At this point, I think it would be best to have everyone install Add-on Updater.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Yes - a variation was suggested almost a decade ago: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/3208

And it appears that the days of Add-on Updater is numbered, to be replaced by something better. More on that later.

Cheers,

Joseph

Andre Fisher

Hi.

Note that NV Access neither packages nor maintains about 95% of the official add-ons. The few add-ons that they have actually authored (OCR and NV Speech Player) are free for the community to take over.

It's a common misconception that needs to be addressed. These add-ons aren't like Window Eyes apps, they are made, for the most part, solely by the community. Not even NVDA Remote is made by them, despite NV Access people in the past admitting to using it.

Contact the developers and see how best they can update the add-ons.