enes sarıbaş

hi Gene,

57 is indeed the release at which firefox switched to quantum. This should be investigated by NVAccess and firefox.

On 12/27/2018 8:23 PM, Gene wrote:
You said this is an NVDA issue.  have you tried it with other screen-readers?  Version 57 of Firefox isn't too far behind the release of Quantum.  They may have been making some changes leading up to it that causes this problem.  Or they may have changed something unrelated.  Whatever the case, we don't know, based on your description, who is responsible or if NVDA can compensate for it.

Sent: Thursday, December 27, 2018 1:45 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda] more and more unlabeled links with latest version of NVDA and Firefox

hi,

this is also an NVDA issue. This happened since firefox 57. An example:

go to

http://lib.metu.edu.tr

and go to the trial databases heading, which has a few links. Normally, with firefox 56, nvda reads the names of the databases on the links. However, above 57, they are just read as "link".

On 12/27/2018 3:48 AM, Governor staten wrote:

Hello list. My subject line aptly describes the issue. Recently, I’ve seen more sites with unlabeled links than I’ve seen in recent memory, or ever before. I’ve seen them on paypal.com, yetcast.simplecast.fm Simplecast.com, and other places. Why is this? I’m using latest version of NVDA with latest version of Firefox, version 64. Will have to do more testing to see if this occurs in Edge and Chrome. Any ideas as to how to troubleshoot would be appreciated.

An extra point of information, I am running the latest alpha. My roommate is running the latest stable version, 2018.4, along with same version of Firefox. He is seeing some of the same things I am, particularly on Simplecast.com and yetcast.simplecast.fm. Thanks to all in advance for any assistance that can be given.

Gene

Thank you for your compliments.  I'm always pleased when a disagreement works out well.

I don't mind if people write about matters on list now, but if the discussion goes on and involves others so it develops into a somewhat prominent thread, I would take it to the owner's list but your exchange on list didn't bother me.

I almost never get comments about my moderation, perhaps in part because the list almost never needs moderation.
Perhaps this exchange will encourage others to comment when they have an objection or a compliment.  But if people do comment more frequently, I'll start asking that comments be sent off list if they become more common.  But for now, comments on list may encourage others to do so.