Topics

most accessible audio recording software with nvda

Jonathan Nadeau

Greetings list,

Please excuse if this isn't the correct list for this question. Using nvda what is the most accessible audio recording software? If anyone could aim me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I hope everyone is staying safe.

Dan Beaver

The Voice Recorder app that comes with Windows is very accessible but it only records in the M4A format.

Dan Beaver

On 4/2/2020 9:28 AM, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
Greetings list,

Please excuse if this isn't the correct list for this question. Using nvda what is the most accessible audio recording software? If anyone could aim me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I hope everyone is staying safe.

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

There are a number of accessible recording programs.  The first question is how you want to use it.  If you just want to record and edit mp3 files, MP3 Direct Cut is the program to use.  For other purposes, other programs can be discussed.

Gene

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 10:03 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda] most accessible audio recording software with nvda

The Voice Recorder app that comes with Windows is very accessible but it only records in the M4A format.

Dan Beaver

On 4/2/2020 9:28 AM, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
Greetings list,

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Damien Garwood

Hi there,
Personally, I use GoldWave, which is an audio editor as well as recorder, converter, and CD ripper. It is accessible and even has an NVDA add-on, and is relatively cheap.
If you're looking for something free, then CDex is relatively decent, though beware the adware! Best to download the portable version, even though it is older.
CDex is primarily a CD ripper, but with file conversion and recording capabilities as well.
Cheers,
Damien.

On 02/04/2020 02:28 pm, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:
Greetings list,

Kerryn Gunness

i would recommend gold wave and c dex, as someone else suggested

To: <nvda@nvda.groups.io>
Sent: Thursday, April 2, 2020 9:28 AM
Subject: [nvda] most accessible audio recording software with nvda

Greetings list,

Gene

CDex is not a recording program.  It is a CD ripping program. 

It really isn’t a good idea for people, and I see it when evber such a question is asked, to recommend Goldwave without first knowing what a person wants to do.  Goldwave is not free.  It isn’t expensive unless you don’t have much money and you are on a tight budget, but it does cost something like forty or fifty U.S. dollars. 

If you just want to record and edit mp3 files, MP3 Direct Cut is a much better choice.  If you want to record and work with other formats, other programs would be used, MP3 Direct Cut only works with MP3 files but since many people just want to record and edit MP3 files, the way the person wants to use the program needs to be found out before making a recommendation.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 1:45 PM

> Greetings list,
>
>
> Please excuse if this isn't the correct list for this question. Using nvda
> what is the most accessible audio recording software? If anyone could aim
> me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it. I hope everyone
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

David Griffith

This is not correct.

CDex has an analogue  recording function  so is perfectly feasible as a recording tool.

Check out the second menu option under Tools – analogue recording where you can set input devices including  choice of microphone and you can also specify sampling rates etc.

David Griffith

David Griffith

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io <nvda@nvda.groups.io> On Behalf Of Gene
Sent: 02 April 2020 21:14
To: nvda@nvda.groups.io

It really isn’t a good idea for people, and I see it when evber such a question is asked, to recommend Goldwave without first knowing what a person wants to do.  Goldwave is not free.  It isn’t expensive unless you don’t have much money and you are on a tight budget, but it does cost something like forty or fifty U.S. dollars. 

If you just want to record and edit mp3 files, MP3 Direct Cut is a much better choice.  If you want to record and work with other formats, other programs would be used, MP3 Direct Cut only works with MP3 files but since many people just want to record and edit MP3 files, the way the person wants to use the program needs to be found out before making a recommendation.

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Dan Beaver

Gene,

I downloaded MP3 direct cut and tried to install it on my system.  I downloaded the version for Win 10.  It won't install, it says it doesn't have access to the folder where it wants to install it.  I will have to figure out another place to install it where it will still work.  Or, I may try to figure out how to authorize it.

It sounds good so thanks for suggesting it in an earlier posting.

Dan Beaver

On 4/2/2020 4:13 PM, Gene wrote:

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Roger Stewart

When you run the .exe file to install it, before doing that, make sure you run it as administrator.  This should fix it.

Roger

On 4/2/2020 3:55 PM, Dan Beaver wrote:

Gene,

I downloaded MP3 direct cut and tried to install it on my system.  I downloaded the version for Win 10.  It won't install, it says it doesn't have access to the folder where it wants to install it.  I will have to figure out another place to install it where it will still work.  Or, I may try to figure out how to authorize it.

Dan Beaver

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

Yes, it can record, in a very limited way.  You can’t edit, and I don’t think you can do anything but record.  It isn’t a meaningful recommendation to be used as a recording program.  While it technically can record, I don’t classify it as a recording program because its recording function is so limited and because it is used primarily as a ripping program.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 3:32 PM

This is not correct.

CDex has an analogue  recording function  so is perfectly feasible as a recording tool.

Check out the second menu option under Tools – analogue recording where you can set input devices including  choice of microphone and you can also specify sampling rates etc.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Gene

I don’t know why it doesn’t have access but it can be used as a portable program.  the installer places shortcuts in various places to let you conveniently run the program.  I don’t remember how it is packaged.  I haven’t installed it for years but if it is offered as a zip program, you can unzip it wherever you want and use it.

Or you can try installing it in a different folder.  Does the installer allow you to change the installation folder?

Did you also get the Lame encoder?  You need to place the Lame.dll encoder file in the program folder.  I’m not sure I gave the exact name of the file but its very close and Lame is correct.

I can send you a presentation on the basics of how to use the program and it may contain a little installation infrmation.  I did it years ago and I don’t remember exactly what I put in it.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 3:55 PM

Gene,

Dan Beaver

Gene

To: mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Sarah k Alawami

Yep. I used to use CDEX as a recording tool when I was in class to quickly record, then I would edit and split later, taking out the dead time when I was writing an essay durin class etc.

Sarah Alawami, owner of TFFP. . For more info go to our website.

to subscribe to the feed click here and you can also follow us on twitter

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

Finally, to become a patron and help support the podcast go here

On 2 Apr 2020, at 13:32, David Griffith wrote:

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Jonathan Nadeau

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. But I should had wored my question a little different. I should have asked what is the best multi-track recorder for nvda.

On 4/2/2020 5:24 PM, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

Yep. I used to use CDEX as a recording tool when I was in class to quickly record, then I would edit and split later, taking out the dead time when I was writing an essay durin class etc.

Our discord is where you will know when we go live on [twitch.](http://twitch.tv/ke7zum] Feel free to give the channel a follow and see what is up there.

For stream archives, products you can buy and more visit my main lbry page and my tffp lbry page YOu will also be able to buy some of my products and eBooks there.

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Sarah k Alawami

You can use reaper, audacity is free, but I personally do not like it. Reaper is about $60 but you get multi ck, midi support and it's very accessible with the osara scripts that have ben written for NVDA.

On 2 Apr 2020, at 14:44, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. But I should had wored my question a little different. I should have asked what is the best multi-track recorder for nvda.

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Ejaz Shah

Audacity.

On 03/04/2020 2:44 am, Jonathan Nadeau wrote:

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Gene

Best is a meaningless term in this context.  Best for what?  Do you want good effects?  Do you want specific abilities or features?  Your question cannot be properly answered. 

However, if you want to try a free multitrack recording program that is quite accessible and that is already used by a lot of blind people, there is a blind users list, you may want to try Audacity.  If you want a program that has professional effects and perhaps other features I don’t know about, you may want something else.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 4:44 PM

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

From: nvda@nvda.groups.io mailto:nvda@nvda.groups.io On Behalf Of Gene

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Dan Beaver

Gene,

Yes, please do send that presentation.  I have been trying to do some things and I think I need more intro before I am going to be very successful.

Thank you very much

Dan Beaver

On 4/2/2020 5:10 PM, Gene wrote:
I don’t know why it doesn’t have access but it can be used as a portable program.  the installer places shortcuts in various places to let you conveniently run the program.  I don’t remember how it is packaged.  I haven’t installed it for years but if it is offered as a zip program, you can unzip it wherever you want and use it.

Or you can try installing it in a different folder.  Does the installer allow you to change the installation folder?

Did you also get the Lame encoder?  You need to place the Lame.dll encoder file in the program folder.  I’m not sure I gave the exact name of the file but its very close and Lame is correct.

I can send you a presentation on the basics of how to use the program and it may contain a little installation infrmation.  I did it years ago and I don’t remember exactly what I put in it.

Gene

Gene,

Dan Beaver

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

To be honest virtual recorder suits me ok, but it can sometimes have issues from time to time.

What I really want to get is aph studio recorder.

I found that quite cool to use.

During school and for a few years, I found a pirated virus loaded version which I extensively used when I was yunger.

Its always been my eventual aim to buy it but I never managed to do so and now with the current climate I am unsure if I will be buying it right now it remains out of my reach but I liked its shortcut keys and ease of use.

On 3/04/2020 10:24 am, Sarah k Alawami wrote:

This is not correct.

David Griffith

David Griffith

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

Gene

I’ll send a link to the ;presentation after I upload it to my Dropbox account.  Please address further discussion to the chat group or to mhe at

This isn’t about NVDA, its about using the program.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 7:19 PM

Gene,

Yes, please do send that presentation.  I have been trying to do some things and I think I need more intro before I am going to be very successful.

Thank you very much

Dan Beaver

Gene

Gene,

Dan Beaver

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>
> is staying safe.
>
>
>
>

-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)
-- 
Dan Beaver (KA4DAN)

Gene

Here is the link.  It was originally the second half of a presentation.  The first half dealt with Audacity but it is old now and there is a considerable amount of new information so I’m not distributing the Audacithy section much.  But the MP3 Direct Cut section is all or almost all current.

Gene

Sent: Thursday, April 02, 2020 7:19 PM

Gene,

Thank you very much

Dan Beaver

Gene

Gene,

Dan Beaver

Gene

> Greetings list,
>
>